Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
takrupp

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Weird: Need to hold alt key for trackpad in some menus

Please Login to Remove!

I've searched all over for the answer to this problem, and nothing. Hopefully someone can help.

I have a blackberry bold 2 thats about 3 months old. Last week the trackpad started working weirdly, and predicable and usable, but really annoyingly.

Here is what happens:
Situation 1) In the home menu the track pad scrolls great. It can move up to change ring settings, left, right, down, etc. Completely normal.
Situation 2) I press the menu key and the trackpad no longer works. I can't scroll left right up or down through the icons. Now when I try holding the alt key OR the shift key, the track pad works again... Only in some menus do I need to hold the alt or shift key to activate the track pad (and I need to hold the shift or alt key for the track pad to work, ie, if I release the alt/shift key it no longer responds)
Situation 3) When sending a text message when I use the track pad to scroll down and send a message, it takes the last character and cycles through the symbols for that character (for letter "y" it will have a y with two dots above it, or an accent mark, etc).

Other odd things:
1) The Blackberry is slow to respond when it goes to sleep. So if I leave it alone, and the screen goes dark, I need to mash a dozen keys for it to finally wake up. If I quit mashing the keys, it never wakes up (its not lagging or being slow, it just needs a lot of keys pressed for it to figure out it needs to wake up.)
2) Pressing two keys at the same time doesnt work anymore. So if Im typing fast, and Im spelling "in" I press the I key then the N key quickly usually only the N shows up. If I type slow, no problems. Keys are all responsive otherwise.
3) If Im holding the shift/alt key to scroll, I can't click the track pad to enter. I need to release the shift/alt key, then press the track pad to enter.

Specs:
Phone: Blackberry Bold 2 9700
Software: 5.0.0.975
Condition: Everything has been reset to factory via the security reset feature

My Thoughts:
I've tried the factory reset, removing the batter, removing the sim, etc. Nothing. It seems like a key is stuck (like a lock feature) that isn't allowing me to use the track pad without pressing alt or shift. Its odd that only some menus behave this way, while others are normal. Its very predictable, which makes me think this is some bizarre feature than physical damage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Weird: Need to hold alt key for trackpad in some menus

Except for the use of the alt and shift keys to make the trackpad respond to your touch, it sounds like moisture or liquid exposure. Even something as slight as a sweaty pocket has been reported to cause key and button problems. If that's a possibility, remove the battery and see Got Your BlackBerry Wet? - BlackBerryFAQ.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
takrupp

Thanks. Its possible it got wet. Probably too late to follow the guide now, but good info to know.

Any ideas on what key could be stuck possibly? Like what key do you need to hold down to scroll through the character map for a letter? Sometimes when Im typing something it will change a setting (like a typed Q quickly while texting and it changed my profile to "vibrate").
Old 11-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Holding the letter key and scrolling is the way to scroll through the letters like a, Á, ã, and so forth. So it wouldn't necessarily be that the letter key is stuck; could be damage from liquid exposure.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
Lonny413

Model: 9650
Carrier: verizon

I just got the Bold 9650 two hours ago and I am experiencing the same problem. There is no moisture problems. Did I hit a button to lock my trackpad?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
izandio_d

Carrier: indosat

I got the same problem 9650/5.0.0.975 I guess its os problem, last week my blackberry works correctly, but now sometimes I got a trackpad problem, I will try to upgrade or downgrade my handheld, maybe os 5.0.0.975 doesn't work correctly,
Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
izandio_d

Carrier: indosat

Hey I just solved this problem, uninstall some application ex: facebook, and another app, then reinstall it,
Delete all app then install your fave app

I guess the trackpad doesn't work correctly because of not compatible app
Old 01-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
Mr_Stash

Model: 8530
Carrier: Telus

I get an IDENTICAL problem with my Blackberry 8530. The exact same issues persist.

What's annoying is that I just sent it in to repair, received it after 5 weeks of it being "repaired", them saying that they tested it and that all is fine, and the problem STILL persisting....

Have you found a solution? I did a complete harddrive clear so I don't know if the application suggestion could be the issue.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
SawyerrKen

Carrier: MTN Nigeria

I had the exact same problem as described by the OP, right to his last word. But mine happened because the phone fell from the table.

I tried upgrades and downgrades of OS and even tried the crackberry approach to resurrecting nuked berries. None solved the problem.

The FIX: I took the phone apart and turned the phone on, then disconnected the keypad from the mainboard and the trackpad worked well. It means the problem is with the keypad. When I connected back the keypad I noticed my camera application came up. That means the camera botton must have gotten jammed in the fall. So I pulled out the soldered camera button from the keypad sticker and that solved it. Phone now works as normal but I had to sacrifice my camera button. Not much of a sacrifice to me as I dont even take pictures, I am however used to that button as the shortcut to my BBM

So if you are experiencing same problem, I think there is a key jammed in the keypad. Best way to find out which key is to disconnect and connect the keypad to the mainboard while phone is On. Which ever key is jammed will be depressed on connecting back to the mainboard and you will see the key/letter on your screen. Which ever key you see, that's the culprit

Hope this helps someone out there. I actually bookmarked this page 3 days ago and refreshed every now and then to see if anyone would have come up with a solution. Well, funny how things turned out.

P.S: Remember for the 9650 its 4 screws at the back, 2 screws at the front on top of the screen. Carefull when you are removing that earpiece face so you dont crack your screen or leave dents.

All the best
Sawyerr Ken
Sawyerrken(dot)net
Old 03-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
CECBlack

Model: 8530
Carrier: verizon

I have the exact same problem as OP with my BB 8530. What happened with me is I accidently dropped it on the tile kitchen floor.

Update: Well I got lucky and fixed mine SOMEHOW....The last things I did was:

1. I notice that the trackpad was slightly in on the left side a little more than the right side. So I pressed on the pad on the right, put my fingernail in on the left and put a lot of pressure on the right (Thinking I might push the trackpad back in place).
2. I then took off the back, took the battery out, then pulled out my micro-sd card and pushed it back in. Put the battery back in.
3. When I powered it back up, I opened the full menu list and it worked sliding down and up. Went into text message and was able to scroll up into history of messages with a person.

Last edited by CECBlack; 03-14-2011 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: update
Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
tbonetebber

Model: 9630

SawyerrKen,

Thanks so much for your post. I have been trying to figure this out on my 9630 for 3 months now. Wiped OS several times, loaded leaked OS's, left all applications off but intermittently I had the same symptoms. Couldn't scroll when in blackberry menu unless holding alt or shift and could not type 2 letters at the same time. Had to really push the buttons to wake it up.

Resolution: Followed guide to take disassemble blackberry. (Plenty of them on utube) Found that my keyboard connection was not pushed in all the way. Pushed the keyboard connection in all the way and so far, the past 4 hours, it is working like a champ.

I too had this page bookmarked looking for someone that had fixed it.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #12
goldhill99

Carrier: Optus

Have you found a solution? im experiencing the same problem.
Closed Thread