lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezorn26
I was just going to post a question about that....What is BES? What are the advantages of it? If I or we signed up for exhangemymail.com, what would I or we need cingular (or our respective carrier) for? other than voice? would that include internet usage?

I am VERY tech savy and build computers, however I am brain dead when it comes to BES
BES = Blackberry Enterprise Server

You can read about Exchange My Mail here:

http://www.exchangemymail.com/blackberryfeatures.html

You'd still need Cingular's voice and data (Blackberry) plans. Signing up with a hosted Exchange plan doesn't allow you to drop your data plan.

I'm no expert by any means but using a hosted Exchange service allows you to access the internet through the hosting company's server. It takes accessing the internet or using third party apps which do so via Cingular's APN out of the equation. They say accessing the internet through MDS is faster as well.

With a hosted Exchange service you also get wireless calendar, tasks, notes & contact synchronization.

P.S. This thread goes over all the different ways to send/receive e-mail on the Blackberry. It contains a great description of BES.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=680

Last edited by lgreenberg; 01-26-2006 at 08:45 PM..
Old 01-26-2006, 09:07 PM   #22
mezorn26
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
BES = Blackberry Enterprise Server

You can read about Exchange My Mail here:

http://www.exchangemymail.com/blackberryfeatures.html

You'd still need Cingular's voice and data (Blackberry) plans. Signing up with a hosted Exchange plan doesn't allow you to drop your data plan.

I'm no expert by any means but using a hosted Exchange service allows you to access the internet through the hosting company's server. It takes accessing the internet or using third party apps which do so via Cingular's APN out of the equation. They say accessing the internet through MDS is faster as well.

With a hosted Exchange service you also get wireless calendar, tasks, notes & contact synchronization.

P.S. This thread goes over all the different ways to send/receive e-mail on the Blackberry. It contains a great description of BES.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=680

Wait, if I just had a basic data BB plan and I used that BES internet, it sounds like the data would not be charged to me by cingular. And it's unlimited with BES?

I tried reading that thread but I am a moron...
Old 01-26-2006, 09:23 PM   #23
lgreenberg

I think if you had the basic BB plan and you went over you'd be charged by Cingular. Again I'm no expert on BES but I think you still use Cingular's data servers to connect to the Exchange My Mail servers. So based on your usage you'd have to see if the unlimited or basic plan was right for you.

The key with using BES and the internet is third party applications. You don't need access to the wap.cingular APN to use third party apps on BES. It's this APN which seems to be the route of additonal charges being billed by Cingular.

Edit- I found this thread which explains all about hosted Exchange.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=50

Last edited by lgreenberg; 01-26-2006 at 09:30 PM..
Old 01-27-2006, 12:20 AM   #24
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Cingular really nickel and dimes BB users (well, all customers).

For me on T-Mobile, EVERYTHING is included (Unl SMS, web, E-Mail, IM) plus 1000 minutes, for $60 a month. When I had Cingular, I was paying about $130 to get near, but not equal to those features.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:23 AM   #25
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
More and more it looks like going to a hosted Exchange service makes the most sense. Then I can go through MDS and not have to worry about the "what-if" that huge bill comes one day.
Or you could change to TMO and have one BB entry on your bill with all the data being unlimited.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:35 AM   #26
mezorn26
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
Or you could change to TMO and have one BB entry on your bill with all the data being unlimited.

Lets not forget that Tmoblies coverage IS AWFUL!!!!!!!!!They are horrible, the worst ever....
Old 01-27-2006, 12:42 AM   #27
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Lets not forget that Tmoblies coverage IS AWFUL!!!!!!!!!They are horrible, the worst ever....
How do you figure?

I have traveled this country (and the world) far and wide with every major provider except Alltel or US Cellular, and T-Mobile has been my absolute best, most reliable. I'm not kidding. Cingular was my next best, but they didn't come close to T-Mobile as far as reliability internationally, nor with their BB service. In my house, I could get a GPRS signal about once every few hours, and then it wasn't consistent. With T-Mobile, I have full EDGE signal.

In my line of work, consistent service is the key, and T-Mobile provides that to me. Over the last 4 years, I've changed providers, but every time I come right back to the big pink T.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:51 AM   #28
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
the big pink T.
Taco?

Sorry everyone I had to do it, I realize its a poor attempt at humor but I got a laugh out of it LOL.

pink
Old 01-27-2006, 12:51 AM   #29
mezorn26
No longer Registered.

Quote:
How do you figure?

I have traveled this country (and the world) far and wide with every major provider except Alltel or US Cellular, and T-Mobile has been my absolute best, most reliable. I'm not kidding. Cingular was my next best, but they didn't come close to T-Mobile as far as reliability internationally, nor with their BB service. In my house, I could get a GPRS signal about once every few hours, and then it wasn't consistent. With T-Mobile, I have full EDGE signal.

In my line of work, consistent service is the key, and T-Mobile provides that to me. Over the last 4 years, I've changed providers, but every time I come right back to the big pink T.

where is your home base? also, what do you find better with tmobile over cingular? Blackberry Specific...I know the voice and cell coverage in 1000 times better with cingular, however I may be in error as to the data
Old 01-27-2006, 12:52 AM   #30
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
Taco?

Sorry everyone I had to do it, I realize its a poor attempt at humor but I got a laugh out of it LOL.

pink
Those are good too, but I was referring to T-Mobile.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:02 AM   #31
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
where is your home base? also, what do you find better with tmobile over cingular? Blackberry Specific...
My home bases are DC and Hampton Roads, VA.

BB specific, the following has been better:
~ At my apartment, I would have periods without GPRS coverage on my Cingular 7290, thus missing mails. With my 7105 (had since September), and now 8700, I have yet to lose a GPRS or EDGE signal, and it is normally full signal.
~ Price is significantly better, and there are no hidden charges.
~ T-Mobile's BIS implementation is WAAAAY better than Cingular BWC.
~ T-Mobile allows WAP and TCP/IP access natively.

Quote:
I know the voice and cell coverage in 1000 times better with cingular, however I may be in error as to the data
In my personal experience, this couldn't be farther from the truth. In the almost 2 years I have been traveling for work, there is only one city (and I've been a LOT of places) where I ever had issues with voice coverage, and that was Omaha, NE, while on Offutt AFB. As soon as I left the base though I was great.

That said, both T-Mobile and Cingular beat my 3 month experiment with Verizon.

I also want to re-iterate that in my work and personal lives I require consistent wireless service, and T-Mobile provides that.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:10 AM   #32
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
also, what do you find better with tmobile over cingular? Blackberry Specific...
$20 price tag and unlimited data to include 3rd party apps.

No calls to CS, priceless!
Old 01-27-2006, 02:50 AM   #33
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Tmobile

I did call tmobile last week to verify the unlimited data plan and was told it is true unlimited, no cap.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:47 AM   #34
mezorn26
No longer Registered.

Quote:
My home bases are DC and Hampton Roads, VA.

BB specific, the following has been better:
~ At my apartment, I would have periods without GPRS coverage on my Cingular 7290, thus missing mails. With my 7105 (had since September), and now 8700, I have yet to lose a GPRS or EDGE signal, and it is normally full signal.
~ Price is significantly better, and there are no hidden charges.
~ T-Mobile's BIS implementation is WAAAAY better than Cingular BWC.
~ T-Mobile allows WAP and TCP/IP access natively.

In my personal experience, this couldn't be farther from the truth. In the almost 2 years I have been traveling for work, there is only one city (and I've been a LOT of places) where I ever had issues with voice coverage, and that was Omaha, NE, while on Offutt AFB. As soon as I left the base though I was great.

That said, both T-Mobile and Cingular beat my 3 month experiment with Verizon.

I also want to re-iterate that in my work and personal lives I require consistent wireless service, and T-Mobile provides that.

I assume you have an unlocked 8700? I don't see that tmobile offers the 8700 yet
Old 01-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #35
gabeosx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

GPRSRoaming-Canada $0.00
Cingular Domestic LD $0.00
Cingular Roam LD $0.00
Text Msg Pay Per Use $0.00
XpressMailw/BBUNL $0.00
$.69 Roam Rate $0.00
Cingular Direct Bill $0.00
Preferred Roam Area $0.00
Total: $0.00

I do not get billed per kb for wap.cingular usage (*crosses fingers*), but I did have to call to get it added on. My blan is BB49UNL.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #36
lgreenberg

This is just so frustrating.

I'm on the phone now with Cingular data support. The first rep. I spoke maintains that the wap.cingular APN is not included in any of the Blackberry plans and using it will result in Wireless Internet Express Pay Per Use charges.

I explained to her that I've heard of several people who can use the wap.cingular APN without incurring extra charges. She says the wap.cingular APN is only needed for the Blackberry for use with third party apps and if you want to use it you have to pay.

I'm now holding for a data support manager.

I'm close to hanging up and just calling Exchange My Mail.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #37
mezorn26
No longer Registered.

Quote:
This is just so frustrating.

I'm on the phone now with Cingular data support. The first rep. I spoke maintains that the wap.cingular APN is not included in any of the Blackberry plans and using it will result in Wireless Internet Express Pay Per Use charges.

I explained to her that I've heard of several people who can use the wap.cingular APN without incurring extra charges. She says the wap.cingular APN is only needed for the Blackberry for use with third party apps and if you want to use it you have to pay.

I'm now holding for a data support manager.

I'm close to hanging up and just calling Exchange My Mail.

THAT'S BS....We have many people on here that have heard from cingular that THE APN IS INCLUDED IN THE PLAN

Please update us...thanks
Old 01-27-2006, 11:03 AM   #38
lgreenberg

Here's what they say now.......

The wap.cingular APN is definetly not included in the unlimited Blackberry plan.

It is possible to have the wap.cingular added to your account without them adding the Wireless Internet Ex. Pay Per Use line to your bill but it is NOT ALLOWED. She called it "back-dooring" the wap.cingular APN into an account. Any rep. who adds it without adding the coresponding line to billing is doing it incorrectly and illegally.

The rep. on to say that they are continually auditing accounts and when they come across a situation like that they make the correct addition to billing. You have the option of adding a wap APN plan like Media Net to your account or to pay per usage.

This might explain why some people go for months without seeing extra charges then all of a sudden pay per use internet charges start appearing.

Off to call Exchange My Mail.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #39
dozment
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Here's what they say now.......

The wap.cingular APN is definetly not included in the unlimited Blackberry plan.

It is possible to have the wap.cingular added to your account without them adding the Wireless Internet Ex. Pay Per Use line to your bill but it is NOT ALLOWED. She called it "back-dooring" the wap.cingular APN into an account. Any rep. who adds it without adding the coresponding line to billing is doing it incorrectly and illegally.
That seems to agree with a document I found on Cingular's web site describing their terms of service. I posted the link and a summary in this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=15734
Old 01-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #40
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozment
That seems to agree with a document I found on Cingular's web site describing their terms of service. I posted the link and a summary in this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=15734
Yeah, this line really sums it up.......

(3) data access through any software application that is not provided by Cingular or Research in Motion ("RIM® ") and/or (4) any browser or Java application not accessing data through the BlackBerry Mobile Data Service gateway.
Closed Thread