BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Hold'em Promotions

Model: 7750b
Default BWC "Upgrade" for Bell Mobility???

Please Login to Remove!

I accidentally posted this in the wrong spot... so I'll repeat:

I'm wondering almost about the legalities of this action. I've lost over 500 sent emails containing valuable information, and now I'm sitting here wondering which clients and potential clients I've contacted. Different clients receive different quotes, and they were all archived within the emails.

Now, most people would say "Why haven't you sent them from your BB?" The majority of emails sent from the internet have .jpg attachments, and the original weblclient (through Bell Mobility <- Huge mistake, suckered me in with a Chartered Accountants discount) allowed for attachments to be sent. For this so-called "upgrade", you can no longer send emails, nor view them. The "upgrade" pretty much consisted of erasing all my sent emails, all of my filters, and returning my options to default. Oh, and the "upgrade" removed most of the options in the past. In general, it's pretty much erased an archive of very, very important information, and will be very costly to my business.

Anyways, the CEO has access to it, and I'm almost 100% sure he clicked "Yes" to the upgrade. I tell him to send emails and view emails only on there, because obviously a blackberry email address adds a little more prestige when attracting new clients, at least until an email account is setup with our website. He's completely computer illiterate, so I always tell him to call me if he's confused about anything. Apparently that didn't get through to him, and now the next few months are going to be hell. I've been told there is no way to retrieve the old data.

Has anyone else experienced this recently? It's absolutely ridiculous if you ask me.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

I am on a BIS but I can answer your question.

The carriers who have upgraded to 2.0 have basically shut down their sites where you can read your [email address] email on your PC.

All email must now be read on the BB (or PC from the address it was sent from, for example AOL.com) now and if you delete from the BB, you also delete it from the email account mailbox on your pc.

From my carrier's site, I set up a filter recently to block emails I didn't want and change my BB email address (personal issue here. You don't have to change your BB email address). If you don't want the emails to get lost, forward them to a PC based email address where they can be saved. If you are using either a MS Exchange, Novell or Lotus mailbox, save them to the email inbox there since I see you're on a BES.

As for the attachment problem, when composing an email from the BlackBerry, click "Add Attachment' and find the attachment on your BB.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #3
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold'em Promotions
Anyways, the CEO has access to it, and I'm almost 100% sure he clicked "Yes" to the upgrade. I tell him to send emails and view emails only on there, because obviously a blackberry email address adds a little more prestige when attracting new clients, at least until an email account is setup with our website. He's completely computer illiterate, so I always tell him to call me if he's confused about anything. Apparently that didn't get through to him, and now the next few months are going to be hell. I've been told there is no way to retrieve the old data.
The BIS ugrade was automatic. I didn't have to click on anything when I got my new BlackBerry. I don't quite understand what you mean he had to click yes to upgrade.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:07 AM   #4
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

The upgrade should not be automatic. When you sign in you are given a screen indicating that you can upgrade...the changes that this will make (ie no more inbox; can send from seperate email addresses; wireless deletes and read/unread to certain types of integrations; can view more types of attachments; etc) Only if you choose "yes" to the upgrade will this go through...you can choose "no" to access your inbox and forward any emails that are no longer on your handheld. You can reply to emails that you recieved before the upgrade for up to 30 days after.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:07 AM   #5
lmc0434
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
PIN: 30160EB8
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I had to click yes too. When Verizon went to the 2.0 BIS, after you logged in for the first time it prompts you and asks if you want to upgrade if you are smart you clicked no ( unlike me I clicked yes not knowing I would loose PC access, I thought 2.0!! newer- must be better) It stinks you cant reply from a PC anymore sometimes I write large emails and now just takes longer using the BB alone
Old 05-13-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

On new BBs it is automatic, on excisting BBs it is an option at least for now, eventually everyone will be forced to upgrade. The consequences that are outlined by Hold'em Promotions above are well documented in the forum. The unfortunate part is that people do not understand that the BB was never designed to be a repository for emails. If nothing else if you start running out of memory the device will start deleting the older emails anyway. The BB is a great tool to get and read email. It also is a great tool to answer such emails. But as far as storage, people should get into the habit of BCCing themselves to a place where they can be stored in a more permanent basis if they are that important. As good as these units are I have seen too many insidents of them frying and no one having a backup. Dropping in them in water, dropping them from a tenth step on a step ladder, etc.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-13-2006, 02:05 AM   #7
Hold'em Promotions

Quote:
As for the attachment problem, when composing an email from the BlackBerry, click "Add Attachment' and find the attachment on your BB.
Well I did a search on the forums and everyone was claiming that you can't just simply add attachments from your BlackBerry, you need to use a program. Maybe on the newer models you can attach files? I have a 7750, and as far as I know, you cannot add attachments (I think I searched and found 4 different threads verifying this).

Quote:
You can reply to emails that you recieved before the upgrade for up to 30 days after.
Good to know! Looks like I'll be spending my entire week forwarding received emails to a storage account. Just to confirm, all of my emails on my handheld that I received BEFORE the upgrade are going to be erased? Here's where I get curious: WHERE IS THE NOTIFICATION??

I did not click the upgrade button. The only time I ever upgrade anything is when it tells me it's necessary. I've had too many problems with "upgrading" in the past decade. You get these computer nerds developing "upgrades", but there is no notification or warning about losing extremely important data in the process, because they don't consider it.

Quote:
unlike me I clicked yes not knowing I would loose PC access, I thought 2.0!! newer- must be better
Well at least I'm not alone!

Quote:
It also is a great tool to answer such emails. But as far as storage, people should get into the habit of BCCing themselves to a place where they can be stored in a more permanent basis if they are that important.
When I'm contactig a client, due to confidentiality, I believe that would be costly to see that their email is being carbon-copied to another email. Even worse when you're discussing a deal. So as much as I'd like to do that, I don't believe that is proper business practice.

Anyways, what would you suggest from here? Should I go get Microsoft Exhange or one of the other programs?

Thanks for all the help, definitely more help here than from any of the tech support I've talked to today.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:05 AM   #8
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Well I did a search on the forums and everyone was claiming that you can't just simply add attachments from your BlackBerry, you need to use a program. Maybe on the newer models you can attach files? I have a 7750, and as far as I know, you cannot add attachments (I think I searched and found 4 different threads verifying this).
That's because that series of BB is too old (even though it's only a year old) for almost anything right now. I have a 7100t and a 7105t and have had much better experience with BlackBerry. I have a 14 month old 7730 and remember how cumbersome it was when I first got it. I barely used it and promptly got myself a 7100t 2 weeks after its release and it was the best personal decision I ever made. My 7730 is now sitting in the box I got my 7105t in.

Sorry about the server situation misunderstanding. I thought you were already using one. That seems to be the most popular BES environment. I haven't seen too much about Novell GroupWise or IBM Lotus Domino.

Last edited by EricaJ1074; 05-13-2006 at 03:13 AM..
Old 05-13-2006, 03:17 AM   #9
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
The unfortunate part is that people do not understand that the BB was never designed to be a repository for emails. If nothing else if you start running out of memory the device will start deleting the older emails anyway. The BB is a great tool to get and read email. It also is a great tool to answer such emails. But as far as storage, people should get into the habit of BCCing themselves to a place where they can be stored in a more permanent basis if they are that important. As good as these units are I have seen too many insidents of them frying and no one having a backup. Dropping in them in water, dropping them from a tenth step on a step ladder, etc.
This is why I set up my BIS using my AOL account so I always have copies of my email on my PC. I don't have to worry about totally losing an important email.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:18 AM   #10
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:

When I'm contactig a client, due to confidentiality, I believe that would be costly to see that their email is being carbon-copied to another email. Even worse when you're discussing a deal. So as much as I'd like to do that, I don't believe that is proper business practice.

Add a bcc (blind carbon copy) instead of a cc (carbon coby). The difference is that on the blind carbon copy no one sees who is getting it, You can send an email to 7, 6 of which are either To: or CC:, the 7th being a BCC and no one will know who the 7th is.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-13-2006, 03:20 AM   #11
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
On new BBs it is automatic, on excisting BBs it is an option at least for now, eventually everyone will be forced to upgrade.
I understand now. I thought about it and remembered I had to do this on my 7105t right out of the box (setting up emails on my pc and bb). I didn't have to do this with my 7100s last year. Thanks for clearing this up. I am still learning here even after 4 years. These things are addictive LOL
Old 05-13-2006, 07:52 AM   #12
Hold'em Promotions

Quote:
Add a bcc (blind carbon copy) instead of a cc (carbon coby). The difference is that on the blind carbon copy no one sees who is getting it
Ahh... always wondered what the "B" stood for! haha... Thanks, I'll begin doing that now, set up an archive with gmail or something of that nature.

Quote:
That's because that series of BB is too old (even though it's only a year old) for almost anything right now.
I think I've had it for 8 months now, so maybe I should go in and talk to them about an upgrade. I have a personal cell with Rogers, and I wish they were my provider, but Bell was just a lot cheaper phone service for business at the time (and the BB was free). Not to mention Bell service coverage is just poor.

In the time being (and I'll be sure to test this after the weekend), does anyone know if you can "attach" an image by forwarding an email from your handheld that already contains the attached image? For example, if I were to send a blank email from a personal account to my handheld and then forward that email with all of the neccesary information + the image, would there be any problems with that? I just need something temporarily until I can get this all patched up. I was not happy yesterday when I needed to send about 20 emails with attachments, and it was no longer possible.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #13
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
I'm wondering almost about the legalities of this action.
What is illegal about it?

You gave someone access to your personal property (blackberry email account). That person agreed to new terms and conditions. You don't like decision this person has made. This person is not minor, one could guess.

I know you can't take it with your boss, but how in the world RIM should have known that a person with the full access to your mailbox is not the person authorized to make a decision on your behalf?

Last edited by Berry One; 05-13-2006 at 12:27 PM..
Old 05-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #14
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

Quote:
Good to know! Looks like I'll be spending my entire week forwarding received emails to a storage account. Just to confirm, all of my emails on my handheld that I received BEFORE the upgrade are going to be erased? Here's where I get curious: WHERE IS THE NOTIFICATION??

I did not click the upgrade button. The only time I ever upgrade anything is when it tells me it's necessary. I've had too many problems with "upgrading" in the past decade. You get these computer nerds developing "upgrades", but there is no notification or warning about losing extremely important data in the process, because they don't consider it.
the upgrade option comes up when you first sign into the BIS account...once you choose yes it never appears again.

To clarify the emails will not delete off of your handheld in 30 days - however the service book (web client [CMIME]) that was used to receive these emails will not. Therefore you will not be able to reply to the messages

You will be able to forward them if you change the "send using" to your new service book

In regards to attachments - if you can view the attacment on the handheld you will be able to forward it. I don't believe you can add attachments via the handheld (possible through 34rd party program but i've not heard of one). If i'm wrong about this i'm sorry

hope this helps
Closed Thread