BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
Accordian Man
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default CDMA vs GSM?

Please Login to Remove!

I've heard a couple of different opinions on this matter. What is the faster technology? Is it CDMA or GSM? Please enlighten!
Old 10-22-2004, 11:08 AM   #2
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

Speedwise not sure on blackberries...

I find CMDA overall coverage to be much better than GSM/GPRS... But our only devices on CMDA were Kyocera, which are absolutely horrible IMO, so we stuck with Blackberry
Old 10-22-2004, 11:19 AM   #3
Accordian Man
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks. Most people say that CDMA is technology is much faster than the GSM 56K push thing or whatever. But I'm hearing different on the forums. I don't know what to believe.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:26 AM   #4
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

I really haven't done much browsing on CDMA networks. Only know coveragewise.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

If you plan to travel overseas with your blackberry, GSM is the only way to go.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
JesseRPI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint
Default Re: CDMA vs GSM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian Man
I've heard a couple of different opinions on this matter. What is the faster technology? Is it CDMA or GSM? Please enlighten! :idea:
Accordian Man, stick with CDMA. Not only are speeds faster, but you have access to much more network coverage. For example, when in CDMA digital mode, if you happen to roam into an area without digital coverage, your phone (depending on model) has the ability to roam to other CDMA networks (Sprint/Verizon/Alltel/Cricket/etc.), or even function for voice calls on a local analog network. Depending on where you live/work/play/travel, this may be an important consideration.

Also, in my own experience, and from people I know who have used devices on GSM networks, for some reason GSM coverage does not hold your signal as reliably as CDMA when going deep into a building. As a recent example, a colleague and I were in NY Presbyterian Hospital working on a project. He has Cingular and I have Sprint. I had outstanding coverage, with slightly weaker coverage when I ventured into some of the hallways. However, his coverage was perfect outside, and near windows, but completely deteriorated as soon as he stepped a mere 15 feet away from a window. It was amuzing to watch as he pressed his phone against the window to speak while reaching across several feet to type on his laptop!
Old 10-22-2004, 12:44 PM   #7
Accordian Man
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hehe, thanks for the insight JesseRPI. Still, there exist so many contrasting opinions. I do, deep down, think that CDMA is the way to go.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:53 PM   #8
JesseRPI
Thumbs Must Hurt

The force is strong with CDMA, young Jedi. Be wary of the Dark Side.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
Accordian Man
Thumbs Must Hurt

I wonder how often I'll still visit these forums after I actually get a BlackBerry. Kind of ironic huh?
Old 10-22-2004, 12:59 PM   #10
Accordian Man
Thumbs Must Hurt

4 more posts and I become an Addicted BlackBerry Club member.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:00 PM   #11
Accordian Man
Thumbs Must Hurt

3 more.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:11 PM   #12
Accordian Man
Thumbs Must Hurt

:D
Old 10-22-2004, 01:16 PM   #13
JesseRPI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Happy now?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:13 PM   #14
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Selling both GSM services and CDMA services, it's a matter of oppinion.

GSM/GPRS is more reliable for data, however CDMA is better for coverage.

GSM/GPRS is better sounding and penetrates buildings better. CDMA is better for data speeds.

Matter of opinion really, I detest CDMA with a passion, for the main reason it is WAY too easy with about $30 of parts from Radio Shack for someone to steal your account and enjoy a good game of "Run the fools bill up". Where as GSM you can't really clone a phone too easily.

Just some insight from a dealer ;)

Please use the Search feature to find a quick answer.

[url]htt
Old 10-22-2004, 04:02 PM   #15
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

I am going to go on defense of GSM:

Quote:
Thanks. Most people say that CDMA is technology is much faster than the GSM 56K push thing or whatever. But I'm hearing different on the forums. I don't know what to believe.
True. CDMA is faster on most phones. But unfortunately, for BlackBerry models of phones, GSM is faster on BlackBerries. This is because the GSM BlackBerries have better and faster hardware.

Quote:
Also, in my own experience, and from people I know who have used devices on GSM networks, for some reason GSM coverage does not hold your signal as reliably as CDMA when going deep into a building.
Only with older phones and with 850Mhz-lacking areas. The new GSM 850 Mhz network deployed in Southern Ontario (November 2003) has made a BIG difference, and the reception of GSM and CDMA in Southern Ontario is very close. The USA is lagging behind in GSM.

Massive Improvements on GSM 850:
Quote:
This isn't the case anymore, Southern Ontario has excellent GPRS reception now since the new deployment in November 2003.

There is excellent 850 Mhz GPRS coverage in Southern Ontario right now, provided you use an 850 MHz cellphone to take advantage of the new network Rogers deployed in November 2003 and completed over the early months of 2004.

Many places improved from 1 bar strength to 4 bars, and other places that had no reception now has 2 or so bars reception. (like 2 levels underground parking garages). This year, I got nonstop reception on a train from Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec City, and from Ontario-Toronto-Niagara Falls. So I would have to say that provided you use an 850 Mhz phone, the GPRS reception in Ontario is excellent. Sometimes I get better GPRS reception than Bell Mobility reception (however, Bell Mobility is better in other areas). Telus roms on Bell Mobility to my knowledge.

There are many shocking "Rogers reception has improved by a shocking amount" type of testimonials: Just did a search of HowardForums and came up with many ...

"...Well, being in BC with the new 850 out last year, I was blown away. Hooked..." (Former Fido!)
"...I noticed that after getting my Nokia 3595 with 850band that its working better at school in places that weren't..."
"...850 makes a big difference in residences and down near the water (I'm on Stuart St.)..."
"...850 has made a big difference at york i get reception just about everywhere now..."
"...UTM campus has superb coverage with 850! Even downstairs in the libary!..."
"...Brock is covered pretty well both in and outside...go 850!..."
"...I like the 850 mhz and called today to sign up a contract with out loosing my nice number..." (Former Bell!)
"...as long as your phone uses GSM850 band, you'll be a happy camper..."
"...but there are PLENTY of places in the city that Rogers has VERY good coverage now that they didn't have before and Fido still doesn't have..."
"...I just had a great situation happen to test GSM850. Was in Dominion in downtown Toronto (Gould and Church) and the parking garage is wel-below ground and completely concrete..."
"...GSM850 strikes gold again. It never ceases to amaze me..."
"...yep huge difference RIDICOLS 850 power..."
"...850 makes a difference. end of story!..."
"...Rogers V60g in my basement, rogers V300 in my basement. V60 0 bars, V300 3 bars. V60, wont send or receive calls, V300 NO PROBLEM..." (V300 works perfect because it has 850Mhz GSM)
"...any phone that has GSM850 in VX's place works amazing. no errors, no dropped calls..."

(All copy and pasted phrases, unedited. Let me know if you want me to include the links to the original posts too; it's a lot of work copying and pasting from dozens of posts.)

Many of these are former Telus, Bell Mobility, and Fido customers who are impressed (and SHOCKED) at Roger's massive reception improvement with the 850 Mhz GSM/GPRS network. For my BlackBerry 7280, it truly makes the vast majority of South Ontario behave like one gigantic WiFi hotspot. You do NEED a new phone to benefit from the Rogers improvements though.

I concur with my BlackBerry 7280 -- the new Rogers 850 network made an amazing improvement in reception compared to Roger's past reception!

However...

Now... If you were talking about customer service, no contest -- I'll agree with you there. Rogers customer service CAN be decidedly be in the same league as doing your taxes. Rogers customer service can be a headache at times, although fortunately, I have been able to get problems fixed eventually in less than three phone calls (like a mis-registered Rogers HDTV cable box). There are occasionally exceptions like this, but you must call Customer Relations instead of Customer Service :D
CDMA is often better, but with a properly deployed GSM network, it is NOT by a big margin. Surprisingly so! In fact, some areas around here has better GSM reception than CDMA... but usually it seems to be a parity.

You must be using a new GSM phone with the 850 Mhz band, and you must be living in an area with properly deployed 850 Mhz reception. (Southern Ontario of Canada, is an excellent case of properly done 850 Mhz GSM)

Once the merger madness has settled, a Cingular phone will eventually probably roam both AT&T and T-Mobile without extra cost within the next while. That will eliminate a majority of the usual American GSM complaints. Time will tell..

I do admit, American GSM is terrible with a lowly 7230 (no 850Mhz), I agree... The CDMA reception is amazing in some areas, Verizon blows away the others in New York City for example!

But in Southern Ontario, GSM rules equally strong with CDMA!
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-23-2004, 02:41 PM   #16
Skive
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Default Re: CDMA vs GSM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian Man
I've heard a couple of different opinions on this matter. What is the faster technology? Is it CDMA or GSM? Please enlighten!
cdma is the technically faster tech, but since this a blackberry forum thats not that important since the blackberries make efficient use of bandwidth so network speed isn't an important enough issue to worry about. Worry about coverage, available devices etc. instead of technical speeds of networks.
Closed Thread