monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgross208 View Post
I have been using my Czech SIM card when trying wifi hotspots, and with the phone connection turned off. I'll try it as you describe..Thanks
I'll be clearer. You can't use the Czech SIM to get UMA. You have to use the Tmobile SIM. Try that and see if something works.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #22
thebluecoat

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Hold up

So you guys are saying as long as I am connected to UMA WiFi, anyone can call me internationally and my minutes will be deducated as it was a domestic call?

I don't have a T-Mobile Router, I use Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware, so my router does not have it's own number, my number would be the one to reach.

So can this hot girl in Mauritius call me from there to my USA based cellphone connected to UMA, and I would just be deducted minutes out of my allotment?

Confirm?
Old 05-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #23
rm3

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsinc View Post
Some hotspots require a login or going through an initial welcome screen even if they are free (like Whole Foods Market) then you become authenticated and your traffic is allowed. Otherwise, you will see the connected checkmark and WiFi will not be grayed out and still no UMA.

What happens when you browse with the built-in browser? If it works, you should be able to use UMA but of course you need a T-Mobile or some other SIM card from a provider that have UMA backend support. UMA requires special servers to be setup to actually route the calls through WiFi into the "normal" phones' world.
"Some hotspots require a login or going through an initial welcome screen even if they are free (like Whole Foods Market) then you become authenticated and your traffic is allowed. Otherwise, you will see the connected checkmark and WiFi will not be grayed out and still no UMA."

This is exactly the problem I have been having at a free hotspot in Paris. It shows the ssid name and says I am connected but I have the yellow it does not show the welcome screen. My laptop opened Internet Explorer and automatically opened the sign in screen and let me sign in for free. The BB does not present the sign in screen automatically even when I go to the browser. After a lot of playing around I finally got to the sign in screen but I can now not repeat the steps on my wife's BB! I will keep trying and if I get results I can repeat I will post them here.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #24
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

In your list of bookmarks there should be one that says "wifi hotspot login"

Use that.
Closed Thread