BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Hawg Daddy

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon
Post Incomplete Calendar Sync

Please Login to Remove!

I am a long-time user (over 3 years) of this forum but a first time poster. All of my previous BB or BES issues have been resolved by searching and reading excellent posts from pretty smart people. I saved my first post on something that has consumed hours upon hours of my time and that has me jumping through many hoops for no resolution.

My 8830 is having issues synching the calendar from Outlook via a BES. I have 2 other BES users that are activated and synching just fine. In fact, my CEO uses the exact phone as me with the exception that his platform is 3.0.0.84.

We are using MS Office 2003, Exchange 2003, and BES 4.1.3.18. I brought the BB from a previous BES installation and ran it from a BIS for about 10 months (did a backup and wipe when I went full-on BIS) and synched wired via Desktop Manager. I just decided on Dec. 5th to add it to my new employer's BES.

I updated the 8830 (Verizon) to the latest OS (4.2.2.196) and platform (3.0.0.85) using the instructions in the forum for installing the latest Sprint release for the 8830 (Latest 8830 OS: 4.2.2.365/4.2.2.196 (Multilanguage) Sprint) The reason for this was to get the latest OS and prevent myself from having to do any subsequent complete wipes and rebuilds!

Before I ran the enterprise activation, I copied (not imported) all my calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes from my personal Outlook .pst to my Exchange mailbox. I figured that if all these were part of the mailbox, the sync would be complete. Then, I ran enterprise activation. The activation was successful but not all calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes synched to the 8830. The number of those items on the 8830 were less than in the mailbox. I found answers on this forum to resolve this: I turned off wireless sync on the 8830 for each container and turned each back on. All contacts, tasks, and notes eventually synched to the 8830. However, all calendar items did not.

The number of entries on the 8830 was substantially less than on the mailbox. All entries were on the 8830 there since it was previously wired synched. However, the count was reflecting only the wireless synched ones. That told me that all entries were not being wirelessly synched. BTW, the Keep Appointments setting on the calendar was set to Forever.

I found a post that I thought addressed this so I opened each and every of the several hundred calendar item previous to 12/5/08 (when I first tried to activate on this employer's BES), added "BES" to the notes, and saved. I turned off wireless sync, waited, and turned it back on. Nothing changed.

For a test, I put a new calendar item in Outlook and it synched to the 8830. I put a new calendar item in the 8830 and it synched to Outlook. However, the old calendar items would still not sync.

Reluctantly, I backed up all my 3rd-party apps and wiped the 8830. Then, I reactivated the 8830. When I opened the calendar options, the numbers were still substantially less. Further, the calendar items from my BIS days, of course, are now off the 8830. (Fortunately, I still have the backup.) I also noticed that the Keep Appointments setting was now set to 60 days.

I wiped the 8830 again and as I began the next activation session, I quickly went into the calendar option and set Keep Appointments to Forever. When the activation ended, the setting was still at Forever but the number of calendar items was still the same as it was after every other activation.

Now, for security settings: the BES Admin appears to have (although you can try to poke holes in it) appropriate security settings since my other users appear to have no problems with any component of wireless synching. Further, BES Admin has the same rights to my Exchange mailbox as theirs does.

When I first activated the 8830 on Dec. 5th, my user account in AD was in the Domain Admins security group in Exchange. I remembered after the activation when I couldn't send any emails that I couldn't be in that group and send emails. I removed myself from the Domain Admins group and am in no other elevated security groups in AD.

My user was also a delegated Exchange Full Administrator. I removed that before one of the wipes and re-activation steps. Still no change.

I also checked the CDO.dll and the MAPI.dll on both my BES and my Exchange box. The CDO.dll files were different so I copied the CDO.dll from my Exchange to my BES box. The MAPI.dll files were identical. Still no resolution.

I have searched and searched this forum (and a similar named forum) and I am officially stumped. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

If I remember correctly from my RIM days there is a limit on the Calendar for initial sync during the EA.

I believe it's 30 days before the EA and a full year after.

Check your Calendar and see if that is what you have. If so, that's all you can do except restore a backup.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Hawg Daddy

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks, gibson_hg. Great avatar.

With that piece of information from you, I searched the forums and your belief is reality. I wish I would have known that about 4 wipes and rebuilds ago!!!

Oh well, live and learn.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
gibson_hg

Carrier: NA

LOL, thankx.

I double checked that info with a buddy of mine still at RIM. That info would have been nice prior to your multiple EA's and wipes.

Well, now you know anyways.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
E.uribe

Model: 7100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t mobile

what are EA?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
gibson_hg