Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary
Default Storm heats up when on car charger

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone else notice their Storm heating up when on a car charger? I typically put mine on a USB charger at work, wall charger overnight, and car charger when on trips (particularly when using VZNavigator). The behavior I've noticed when using the car charger is that it will indicate that it's charging for ~ 20-30 minutes, then the charging icon goes away (even when it's not fully charged) and the battery heats up.

Anyone else see this happening?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Have you tried this with a different car charger? Might be good to check if the charger is the issue.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Yeah, I've used one that I keep in my car & one that I keep in my wife's. Same thing on both.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
troykent
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Mine does this exact thing, even after i upgraded the OS to .148 from vzw. I am assuming this is a problem with the board. I'll try another charger tonight on my way home but generally you should only use a car charger for a quick 10-20 min charge time. Most don't have regulators built in and will eventually ruin your battery.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
jcpom
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by troykent View Post
Most don't have regulators built in and will eventually ruin your battery.
Are USB chargers that plug into the wall similarly unsafe unless they have regulators built in?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troykent View Post
Mine does this exact thing, even after i upgraded the OS to .148 from vzw. I am assuming this is a problem with the board. I'll try another charger tonight on my way home but generally you should only use a car charger for a quick 10-20 min charge time. Most don't have regulators built in and will eventually ruin your battery.
Interesting... I've never heard that, but it seems to line up with the behavior I'm seeing. I'll try that the next time I'm on a longer drive and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
Jeepman

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZ

from what I am understanding the power being applied to charge that phone in the vehicle charges at a higher rate than in-home chargers. It takes a much less timeframe and is to be monitored rather vigilantly. Yes it does heat up and yes it charges more rapidly, especially the lower the battery is what i have experienced. Also unlike the in-home charging, it is not to be left on a car charger as it will fry the battery.
I have read this in the Storm manual and also been told from the lads at VZ. That is good enough for me as first hand experience and feeling the heat then knowing why it is being created.

Tend the charge. Maintain the battery.
and as always.. good luck.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
taichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOR View Post
Anyone else notice their Storm heating up when on a car charger? I typically put mine on a USB charger at work, wall charger overnight, and car charger when on trips (particularly when using VZNavigator). The behavior I've noticed when using the car charger is that it will indicate that it's charging for ~ 20-30 minutes, then the charging icon goes away (even when it's not fully charged) and the battery heats up.

same happened here when my battery was running low.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
Otrebla

Default Same Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOR View Post

Had the same problem with mine before I upgraded to .151 OS. I went to Verizon and told them that my battery was heating up. They gave me a new battery. I notice the problem only once with my car charger again and disconnected it right away.
Closed Thread