Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
leeloff
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Default Notify Users wireless is turned off

Please Login to Remove!

I searched around and couldnt find anything. I am a BES admin and I get a lot of calls from support on various issues. Often enough they pull the battery and therefore turn the wireless off. Is there any way to notify users via a pop up or PIN message with a notification telling them to turn it on. IE, run an automated agent to look at people who have wireless turned off and send a PIN message with "Please turn your wireless back on to receive data"

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lee
Old 04-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Uh, they won't receive the PIN message if wireless is turned off.
What good would this do?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
bbgurl171

Model: 8700

Yep, can't help you there. If the wireless is off there isn't any way you can contact the device. You may have better luck looking into some of the bb monitoring applications mentioned in this forum. They probably could do something that would help i.e. warn the users BEFORE the wireless turns off.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
BlackBerryLinks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone

It help when you give your users some basic instrucions. An other solution may a program on the BlackBerry notify the user, but I don't know such program.

Regards,
Bob
Old 04-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
leeloff

Model: 8820

yeah that was dumb of me. I know you dont get messages when the wireless is off. I dont know what i was thinking. The issue with training is that most of our BB users are executives and they dont have the time for training. They just want it to work.

So back to my wireless issue. How about a custom app that pops up when wireless is off. I have no idea how to do custom coding for BB, but I would be willing to learn. Any creative ideas?
Old 04-16-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
KChung54

Model: 8300

We've had similar issues with some of our executives, and in the end, the best thing to do is just educate them. "Do you see the letters GPRS or EDGE in the upper right-hand corner" is one of the first things our help desk asks the user now when they are suspect that the wireless radio has been turned off...
Old 04-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #7
TheDarkSheppard

Model: 7290
Carrier: Rogers

You know, it is not a bad Idea for the BES to have an IT policy that would not allow the user to turn off the wireless on the device. It would not be helpfull for travelling people but it may solve issues with executives turning the wireless off. What do you think?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
HowieSee

Model: 8703e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSheppard
You know, it is not a bad Idea for the BES to have an IT policy that would not allow the user to turn off the wireless on the device. It would not be helpfull for travelling people but it may solve issues with executives turning the wireless off. What do you think?
Executives have problems with everything that you do. Make sure you make it THEIR responsibility to check to see if the radio is on, then, the blame falls on them, not you, if they don't get their e-mails.

Remember also : execs travel too. blackberry with radio on while flying = no no.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #9
SteveA

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Had to resolve same issue this morning. Educating the users works best.

Our company sends out weekly newsletters which are quite often read by all staff. Knowing this information, I now have a Tech Tips section and will insert Blackberry tips and "Did you know". There's been excellent feedback regarding this new section at the Executive meetings.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #10
HowieSee

Model: 8703e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
Had to resolve same issue this morning. Educating the users works best.

Our company sends out weekly newsletters which are quite often read by all staff. Knowing this information, I now have a Tech Tips section and will insert Blackberry tips and "Did you know". There's been excellent feedback regarding this new section at the Executive meetings.
Hmm, that weekly newsletter isn't a bad idea. Unfortunately our users receive so many e-mails that adding another one for them to read is sort of out of the question.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:22 PM   #11
NumNums

Model: Z10
PIN: 2671618F
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Also have to remember that low power causes the radio to be turned off, so training has to include plugging it in to charge
Old 04-18-2006, 10:31 PM   #12
IT Guy

Model: 7130e

Use the APB feature to send out reminders every couple of weeks. It will drive them crazy, but you always remember what drives you crazy.
Closed Thread