BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
CEO2B

Model: 7780
Default Error Message when trying to sync

Please Login to Remove!

I have a BB 7780 and whenever I try and sync with my desktop software, it stops running when it get to "reading from MS Outlook calendar" (calendar entry number 211) and I get this message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
---------------------------
Runtime Error!

Program: ...ogram Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\DesktopMgr.exe

abnormal program termination

I've tried reloading the desktop software, creating a new profile, etc. but I still get this error message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Larry
Old 07-27-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
rcrivera03
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520

I got that same error about a month ago, but it was after I installed Microsoft Power Point. All I did was re-install Microsoft Office and have not had the problem since. Did you by chance install any new Microsoft apps?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:25 PM   #3
CEO2B

Model: 7780

No, I have not loaded any new MS apps. I'm thinking it has something to do with Outlook and my calendar
Old 07-27-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
rcrivera03
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520

I believe you may be right, specially since I re-installed the MS Office and my problem went away. You can try re-installing it, maybe something got corrupted or a file got moved.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:26 AM   #5
sshynk

Model: 8330
Carrier: Cingular

CEO2B, did you ever get your problem resolved? If so, what did you do to fix it? I have a 7290 and just started getting the same error. I had a voicemail notification appear during a sync process and now it fails on one of the calendar entries during the sync.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Try deleting and then adding a new Outlook profile. Be sure to write down any profile settings before you delete the profile.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:52 AM   #7
sshynk

Model: 8330
Carrier: Cingular

Nope. Same problem.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:29 AM   #8
Nathaniel

Model: 7750

did anyone get a resolution to this?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:44 PM   #9
Dustbin30
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7230

Enable advanced logging on intellisync (http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...5974&vernum=22)
and post the results here or PM me. I'll see if I can find anything.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #10
PhanMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Unhappy

I'm having the same problem on exchange2k3 using BES. I installed the latest Desktop Manager but no luck. All other PIM's syncronize correctly except calendar. It reaches a certain record then gives that runtime error. I tried just copying future items but that didn't work either. Please help!

I've seen this before in our company and the user said he fixed the problem himself by uninstalling service pack 1 for office 2003. I'm not sure if thats an appropriate measure.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:51 AM   #11
bieal4him

Model: 7105t

I followed the instructions listed here to create the log files; and the tif.log file ended abruptly with a calendar sync event on an item which contained an attached bitmap. Once I deleted this calendar event from Outlook, the sync worked fine. I still have the original log files if anyone is interested.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:40 PM   #12
mcspeed
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130
Default Sync runtime error

Just got a new 7130 and ran into the same problem. I'm new to BB and thought oh no, here we go again! Went to BB website and searched for the Sync Errors and ran into Visual c++ reference with detailed directions on what to do to fix the problem.....all of which were over my head and seemed to be a little risky for my skill level. I use Outlook on XP Pro and isolated the problem on both my calendar and contacts. It would sync to a certain point then hit the problem and shut down.

I don't know what Visual c++ is but with a name like that I thought it must be related to something graphic. Next I thought "what is graphic on both my calendar and contact files?" I played around a little bit and saw that my calendar had attachments (Word, Powerpoint) for meeting invitations. I saw similar icons in my contact file where I pasted doc's in the open area on the RH side. I displayed my calendar to show all my appointments and sorted by the attachment icon then went in and deleted all of them. Guess what, it worked. Contacts were not so easy but I know where I had pasted stuff so went in and deleted and sync worked on contacts too.

I got lucky and found a pretty easy fix. I know it is not coincidental because if I place a word doc in an appointment it will crash. If I take it out it works.

I hope this helps others wrestling with their new (or old) BB.

Mark
Old 02-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #13
pkeel

Model: 7105t
Talking Yep, the problem is caused by attachments

This problem happened to me when trying to synch my BB 7105t. I saw the comments above and remembered that before my last synch I created a calendar item that included in it as an attachment a Word document. When I deleted that calendar item I was able to synch without any problem.

Note that apparently not ALL attachments cause this problem. The Word document I included as an attachment had been sent to me by someone else (attached to an email). I created a new calendar item and attached a Word document I created. I was then able to synch without any problem. I therefore believe there was something about the particular Word doc that was sent to me that caused the problem-- not that ALL attachments result in the problem.

This forum is a blessing! I never would have figured this out otherwise.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:55 PM   #14
jimbob_texas

Model: 8810
Carrier: AT&T
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeel
This forum is a blessing! I never would have figured this out otherwise.
Roger that! Just ran into the same problem (again), and it was a calendar item with a Word document attachment that was the culprit. Deleted the file, now it's all good.

jr
Old 02-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #15
jesparrago

Model: 7290
Default Runtime Error

I ran into the same problem and I could not find a solution. However, I did find a promising workaround that works better. The problem I had is when I sync it would fail during the Calender process.

So what I did was I setup my Blackberry 7290 with "Blackberry Wireless Sync" in Microsoft Outlook. After that, it solved the problem.

And after I showed this feature to all the Vice Presidents in my company there started raving about it!!!

Steps to enable the Blackberry Wireless Sync calendar function:

1. Connect your Blackberry handheld device to the cradle using the USB cable.
2. Double-click and launch Blackberry Desktop Manager.
3. Double-click the Intellisync button.
4. Locate and click on the Configure PIM... button.
5. Under Handheld Applications: click on Calendar.
6. Click on the Choose button.
7. Under Available Applications, locate and click on Blackberry Wireless Sync.
8. Click the OK button.
9. Click the OK button.
10. Click the Synchronize Now button.
11. Click the Close button.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:34 PM   #16
bwolmarans

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular
Default help - my handheld otions greyed out

I tried to follow this but my "handheld options" is greyed out, any idea how to ungrey it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesparrago
I ran into the same problem and I could not find a solution. However, I did find a promising workaround that works better. The problem I had is when I sync it would fail during the Calender process.

So what I did was I setup my Blackberry 7290 with "Blackberry Wireless Sync" in Microsoft Outlook. After that, it solved the problem.

And after I showed this feature to all the Vice Presidents in my company there started raving about it!!!

Steps to enable the Blackberry Wireless Sync calendar function:

1. Connect your Blackberry handheld device to the cradle using the USB cable.
2. Double-click and launch Blackberry Desktop Manager.
3. Double-click the Intellisync button.
4. Locate and click on the Configure PIM... button.
5. Under Handheld Applications: click on Calendar.
6. Click on the Choose button.
7. Under Available Applications, locate and click on Blackberry Wireless Sync.
8. Click the OK button.
9. Click the OK button.
10. Click the Synchronize Now button.
11. Click the Close button.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:11 AM   #17
DeNNNiTh

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspeed
Just got a new 7130 and ran into the same problem. I'm new to BB and thought oh no, here we go again! Went to BB website and searched for the Sync Errors and ran into Visual c++ reference with detailed directions on what to do to fix the problem.....all of which were over my head and seemed to be a little risky for my skill level. I use Outlook on XP Pro and isolated the problem on both my calendar and contacts. It would sync to a certain point then hit the problem and shut down.

I don't know what Visual c++ is but with a name like that I thought it must be related to something graphic. Next I thought "what is graphic on both my calendar and contact files?" I played around a little bit and saw that my calendar had attachments (Word, Powerpoint) for meeting invitations. I saw similar icons in my contact file where I pasted doc's in the open area on the RH side. I displayed my calendar to show all my appointments and sorted by the attachment icon then went in and deleted all of them. Guess what, it worked. Contacts were not so easy but I know where I had pasted stuff so went in and deleted and sync worked on contacts too.

I got lucky and found a pretty easy fix. I know it is not coincidental because if I place a word doc in an appointment it will crash. If I take it out it works.

I hope this helps others wrestling with their new (or old) BB.

Mark

I was having the same issue when trying to sync with my Outlook calendar. I had one entry with an attachment. Once I deleted it, I was able to sync.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:26 AM   #18
amrollo

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Default Runtime Error

THANK YOU! When I sorted the attachments I found something I had recently cut/pasted in an appointment and when I deleted it it worked. Thank you so much for the tip!!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #19
BiBBuser

Model: 8700
Exclamation Visual c++ Library Runtime Error - Outlook Attachments

After reinstalling several times I checked my calendar and found calendar items with attachements. I deleted them and it fixed the problem - I was able to sync too.

For those unsavy with outlook (it took me a minute to find it).
  • open your calenar
  • in the upper right corner, click on options
  • then advanced find
  • select the "more choices" tab
  • click on the second check box "only items with", and "one or more attachemetns" from that dropdown
  • then click the find now button
    • Delete the entries with attachments (or go to them one by one and delete the attachment)
  • These are instructions for Outlook 2003

This worked and is much faster than goofing around trying to find other fixes.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #20
kbnash

Model: 7130e

This worked in 12 seconds for me.

This forum was incredibly informing. My experience to date was with the tech notes at Blackberry (which was confusing and way too technical) and with Verizon who said they new it was corrupt data, but could not tell me how to find it and remove it.

In my case, I had cut ans pasted flight info from a confirming email into the notes section of my flight calander item. Interestingly I did not actually "attach" anything.
Closed Thread