BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
nobla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Unhappy Move users seamlessly from BES 3.6 to BES 4.0 on different H/W and different SRPs

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I am running a BES 3.6 with about 110 users. I have bought another BES licence and installed BES 4 on a separate box with a new SRP etc. Both servers are working fine.

I need to be able to move users from the 3.6 server to the BES 4 without getting them to recradle. I tried exporting a user on the 3.6, importing him on the 4.0 and running handheldcleanup.exe -u but although his mail started flowing again he seemed to be missing some email options etc.

The only way I can get it to work is by removing the user from the old server, wiping their handheld, adding them to new server and using enterprise activation which isnt ideal as it loses their option settings

Can anyone help me out?

regards,
Anthony

Last edited by nobla; 02-24-2006 at 08:47 AM..
Old 02-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

New SRP means NEW encryption keys for the BB devices, which means you'll have to recradle all devices.
The only way that you'll be able to use a new BES server with a new SRP ID...and not have to recradle devices...is if both servers use a single configuration database.
OR
The same SRP ID is used on new hardware. This scenario implies that the users are being moved from "old" hardware to "new" hardware, and at the same time you've have decided use this opportunity to upgrade the BES software from 3.6.x -> 4.0.x. The constraint here is that both servers cannot be running simultaneously. RIM disconnects the BES service connection and it'll require a call to RIM's support to re-activate the connection.
My suggestion here would be to use the same SRP ID from the "3.6" server on the new server (remember the constraint). You'll have to do an export of the users from the 3.6 BES and import those users onto the 4.0 BES. If for some reason you still require the new BES license (don't see why.. for 110 users), then install and "point" the new BES to the same config database.
There are numerous posts on "upgrade", "migration", "knife-edge-cutover", that can assist you with the steps required to complete the process.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
aschieman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

I just completed a similar upgrade. At a high level, here is how we completed the steps:

1. install another BES 3.6 server using the new SRP ID, but attach the server to the old BES 3.6 database

2. move the blackberry's to the new server ( they will have to re-cradle to regenerate the encryption key with the new SRP, but you can do this gradually because both servers will be working simultaineously )

3. once all the blackberries are on the new server, copy the database over to the new server (up to this point you have been pointing to the database on the old server) and point the new BES 3.6 at the local database.

At this point, you have a fully functioning old server with a good database that can be used if you need to back out of the next step.

4. upgrade the new BES 3.6 server to BES 4.0 by using running the setup.

Note: you will need to be running MSDE 2000 for BES 4.0. If you are not at that point with BES 3.6, this has to be done first.

I recommend using the manual database upgrade tool (in the database folder on the BES CD) because it pipes out better error messages. If there are issues with the database upgrade, you can revert back to the old database (back, backup, backup) and still have functioning blackberries.

Once you have a new BES 4 server functioning, you could upgrade your old one and attach it to the same database. Licenses are shared between all servers using a common management database, so it can become secondary server. Once you are at BES 4, moving blackberries (meaning changing SRP keys) is done wirelessly.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

what you're wanting to do is not possible w/o some sort of user interaction (separate SRPs). here's some threads - i'm sure there are a lot more available on here and on blackberry.com's knowledge base.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=10406

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=8536

FYI, I've gone through migrations using multiple SRPs (when I didn't know any better) during our Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 migration a few years back; as well as during our beta/pilot to production hardware migration (for our parent company's BES). If you purchased a second SRP, you might as well use it as a test environment (BES 4.1 to be released next week) and use your current SRP on the new BES (and truly migrate without user interaction or disturbance).
Old 02-27-2006, 03:42 AM   #5
nobla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: Vodafone UK

OK so if I migrate users over to my new BES 4 by wiping handhelds gradually and using enterprise activation then delete my old BES 3.6, reinstall version 4 on it and point it to the database used by the new BES 4 I will be able to then move users between servers without recradling?

Anthony

Last edited by nobla; 02-27-2006 at 06:07 AM..
Old 02-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
jayers

Here's what worked for us:

1. Point 3.6.x servers and new 4.0.x servers at a single database.
2. Upgrade the database to the 4.0.x schema... at this point you'll only be able to perform administration from the server running 4.0. The management console on the 3.6 server won't be able to read the database, but it doesn't interfere with redirection or sync on the 3.6 server.
3. As long as the handheld clients are running version 4.0 or later for the OS, then you can move the users via the BES management console on the 4.0 box. If they are in coverage during the move, enterprise activation will happen automatically on the handhelds. No user intervention required.

FYI - I tried the knife-edge cutover originally. When we ran into problems, we were told by RIM support that it was unsupported.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
Wakefield103
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

I'm not sure what is what is different with our setup, but we seem to be doing this without any known issues. I wasn't even aware it was a problem until I came here and started reading these threads.

Here is our setup.

3.6 (SP2) BES with SQL 2000 in site 1
4.0 (SP3 HF4) BES with SQL 2000 in site 2
The SQL servers are different physical servers with different database names.

1. Add BES 3.6 server to BlackBerry Manager Console of BES 4.0.
  • This seems to allow both BES's to be accessed from same management console.
  • License count was negative because intial install of BES 4.0 only had one license and when the 3.6 BES was added, it new about all the other devices.
2. Added all CALs from BES 3.6 to BES 4.0
3. Move user from BES 3.6 to BES 4.0 using the BES management Move feature. As long as the handheld clients are running version 4.0 or later for the OS, then you can move the users via the BES management console on the 4.0 box. If they are in coverage during the move, enterprise activation will happen automatically on the handhelds. No user intervention required.

Wakefield

Last edited by Wakefield103; 03-01-2006 at 08:57 AM..
Closed Thread