Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #21
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Please Login to Remove!

Portion of the Review by PCMag:

"iPods have been evolving quickly in their short existence on this Earth. The iPhone and the iPod touch, however, seem to be several leaps ahead of the excellent iPod nano or, for that matter, any other player on the market. These are not cheap devices, especially considering the storage limitations. Still, when you factor in the slick interface, the elegant Web browser, the beautiful glass display, and the seamless integration of the Wi-Fi music store, the Apple iPod touch is worth the price. No portable media player has ever done this much so easily, or looked so good doing it."
Old 09-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #22
dpeters11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

So who's the first one to get one? They are already showing up and being sold at Apple stores.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #23
reidjr

Model: 7290
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I think the touch could be just as big or a bigger seller then the iphone.Yes i have placed my pre order and i am very excited.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #24
test54
BlackBerry Master

it might because it needs no contract. It is a great device and I think the hackers will add alot of functionality.

Just look at what they have added to the iphone so far.
iPhone Native Applications List - iPod Touch Applications » Blog Archive » The List
Old 09-14-2007, 11:44 PM   #25
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I think the touch could be just as big or a bigger seller then the iphone.Yes i have placed my pre order and i am very excited.
didn't the iphone lesson teach anybody anything ? you're overpaying for this thing by at least 50 % to get it @ first issue. i heard from those that have it, it is not as refined as the iphone display/keyboard, music quality suffers. it's buggy. in 6 months it will be superseded by a better model. the price will drop. it's software and GUI are locked down air-tight (get the message, apple wants you to get anything ipod touch related from them, or from the vendor they've fine-tooth combed to make sure it fits their ways). you can't do anything custom with it. unlike the previous gen ipods.

multi-touch panels of the apple-kind won't go far either because there is no tactile feedback to touching glass, as there is to touching an ordinary phone key.

Last edited by zero7404; 09-14-2007 at 11:47 PM..
Old 09-15-2007, 06:22 AM   #26
test54
BlackBerry Master

sakman you are losing me on a couple things. what about the previous ipods was open? if you want to open mp3 players then i dont know of any.
i've read the reviews too, most say the product is great although one did say the screen was not as good as the iphone screen. ipods are different than the iphone as they already dominate the market, no need to risk margins to gain marketshare in the mp3 market, and royalties from ATT make up for the price drop on iphone.
As for the multi touch, i think your being very narrow minded. When Apple launches iphone in Germany, England within the next month they will have multi touch available to alot of people. Its a great platform and I for one am impressed with the speed and ease to use.

Last edited by test54; 09-15-2007 at 06:24 AM..
Old 09-17-2007, 06:10 AM   #27
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

I got my touch yesterday in Philly and it works great! I held out from getting the iphone so I still have my BB and got a cool video/mp3 player!

I don't see how anyone "heard" from others as it was just released!

I also see how the marketing ploy looks for non-apple people but there is such a thing as brand loyalty. I love apple BUT I am smart enough to know I wasn't going to pay $599 for the first issued iphone. But I do feel the ipod touch is moderately priced and affordable. So being the first to have it doesn't reflect anything other than the desire to have it and use it. I am not going to walk around flashing it in peoples faces to say "hey, look what I got"
I don't care what anyone says but you WILL NEVER keep up with technology as it is always changing and anything you buy will be obsolete the following week! Thats the way it is with vehicles, clothing, and computers!

Last edited by Rolo1971; 09-17-2007 at 06:18 AM..
Old 09-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #28
test54
BlackBerry Master

amen to that. Glad to see its good for you
Old 09-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #29
zero7404

Wirelessly posted (8100: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo1971
I got my touch yesterday in Philly and it works great! I held out from getting the iphone so I still have my BB and got a cool video/mp3 player!

I don't see how anyone "heard" from others as it was just released!

I also see how the marketing ploy looks for non-apple people but there is such a thing as brand loyalty. I love apple BUT I am smart enough to know I wasn't going to pay $599 for the first issued iphone. But I do feel the ipod touch is moderately priced and affordable. So being the first to have it doesn't reflect anything other than the desire to have it and use it. I am not going to walk around flashing it in peoples faces to say "hey, look what I got"
I don't care what anyone says but you WILL NEVER keep up with technology as it is always changing and anything you buy will be obsolete the following week! Thats the way it is with vehicles, clothing, and computers!
So now that you probably got yours in the mail, can you see what i meant by the display ?

Perhaps you should speak after you've verified what you're saying.

The upcoming iphone release in Europe is going to be a fantastic firefight, imo.

Because apple thinks that multitouch technology is enough to go ahead and set prices for these things thru the roof.

What's even more funny is how most ppl haven't bought into this stuff, contrary to apples' 'behind the scenes' predictions/anticipations.

Does anyone out there really believe that the latest mobile phone from cali, USA can compete in a 3G arena ? i bought my v3x 2 yrs ago and data speed will knock the socks off the iphone when i'm in europe on a 3G network.

But mister Jobs feels he's got a hit.

Last edited by zero7404; 09-19-2007 at 05:51 PM..
Old 09-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #30
zero7404

Wirelessly posted (8100: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

For a 16 GB iPod he wants 400, for an iphone in Europe he wants 500-600. You can get 2 of the latest smartphones in Europe for that kind of money. Meanwhile the Europeans look westward and see America as the land of good deals, because the cost of living vs. Income in Europe works against the working class but here ppl can live it up much more easily with the same money or less.

Here comes apple to charge Europeans the price of 2 smartphones in exchange for 1 non-smartphone.

Last edited by zero7404; 09-19-2007 at 05:52 PM..
Old 09-19-2007, 06:49 PM   #31
muck

Model: 9000
Carrier: optus

Apple iPod touch (8GB/16GB) | iLounge iPod Accessory Reviews

wow.. very disappointed in what apple have done with the touch going by this review.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #32
reidjr

Model: 7290
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
Apple iPod touch (8GB/16GB) | iLounge iPod Accessory Reviews

wow.. very disappointed in what apple have done with the touch going by this review.
Ilounge lhas a hate on for the touch for what ever reason.Both news.com & pcworld gave the touch a real good review.So don't go by what one minor site says check out all the reviews.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #33
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

this happens all the time. people point to one site.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 09-20-2007, 10:21 PM   #34
zero7404

When discussing the politics of electronics reviews, also keep in mind that whatever web site consistently gives excellent reviews to a certain brand, is almost always in on some kind of perk from that company, especially the big names like cnet.

You can get more accurate reviews from the users that buy them instead. Cnet posts user opinions as well.

For the most part, more than 50 user inputs yeilds a rating that's almost exactly right on.

i compared my opinions of the stuff i bought to both user and cnets reviews, outcome is always near or below what users rate.

Keep in mind that cnet editors often lose touch with the reality of COST.

Clearly, the overall value of the iPod touch is much less than 400, and you can cite inconsistencies in editor reviews because some do take cost into consideration, while others magically don't even mention it.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #35
zero7404

Step back for a moment and let's look @ technology companies and their behavior towards pricing.
Sony: i am not and never have been a real die hard fan of their products, but what of the case of the ps3 ? The most advanced gaming console on the market today. And its been officially announced by Sony that they lose money on every ps3 sale. But the price just dropped some weeks ago.

Now look @ Apple and the iPod. Their prices keep fluctuating, and in the last 4 generations of the stuff, it has been getting way too expensive with respect to actual device cost and value in order to own the flagship of their iPod offerings.

i understand the concept of making money, but making over 50% of cost on each unit is clearly scalping. But thanks to the American public, apple has been able to call their customers suckers, and get away with it.

Apple is a biased company in the ways i don't like, and looking at their overall footprint on this planet just proves that argument.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 AM   #36
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post

Step back for a moment and let's look @ technology companies and their behavior towards pricing.
Sony: i am not and never have been a real die hard fan of their products, but what of the case of the ps3 ? The most advanced gaming console on the market today. And its been officially announced by Sony that they lose money on every ps3 sale. But the price just dropped some weeks ago.

Now look @ Apple and the iPod. Their prices keep fluctuating, and in the last 4 generations of the stuff, it has been getting way too expensive with respect to actual device cost and value in order to own the flagship of their iPod offerings.

i understand the concept of making money, but making over 50% of cost on each unit is clearly scalping. But thanks to the American public, apple has been able to call their customers suckers, and get away with it.

Apple is a biased company in the ways i don't like, and looking at their overall footprint on this planet just proves that argument.
You have an axe to grind with apple and your point of view is very slanted on there product's. Anyone reading this can tell that the case with your comments.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 09-21-2007, 01:19 AM   #37
muck

Model: 9000
Carrier: optus

the screen issue that ilounge reported, has been reported by other reviews i have read.
if the itouch's screen is indeed different from the iphones, then ill be waiting for the next revision.

currently, its at the top of my list as a video player.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:02 AM   #38
speed4tu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

I played around with one in the apple store this past weekend and it is in no way like the iphone. I had to push hard on the glass to open anything. And yes I tried this with multiple touches to verify it wasn't a problem on one.

On another note, I think the touch is the answer to how to get their money back on the iphone. If they were selling as apple wished the price of the iphone would not have dropped and a new product looking exactly like the iphone released all in the same week that is not limited to those not using AT&T. I'm not knocking either product because they are both nice for what they were designed to do.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:58 AM   #39
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

I think I will pass on this one, (I changed my mind) since I'm getting an 8320 soon and halo3

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 09-21-2007, 10:38 AM   #40
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100

Sakman, perhaps you misunderstood my comment. I bought the ipod touch from the apple store! I didn't receive it in the mail!
Your previous post implies or makes references to people having the phone prior to the weekend it was released so I am not sure how you had all this information already!
Now I can see how you may have "read" something about it's release and such but regardless I am happy with mine and I stand behind my decision and you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

After all this is a free country.

Sakman, by any chance would you be an engineer?
BTW, I agree with you on how ridiculous Apple is about pricing in Europe but remember some economies are stronger than others. For whatever reason they have Apple can price things however they want BUT you as a consumer can decide whether to buy it. This is when prices drop. Case in point, the iphone!

Last edited by Rolo1971; 09-21-2007 at 10:42 AM..
Closed Thread