Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
pulrang
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile
Wink I love the iPhone!

Please Login to Remove!

Before I get lynched, I love my 8700 and I will never use anything but a BlackBerry. I haven't even touched the iPhone but you gotta love the iPhone for one reason alone - excellent competition. Up until now, the BB hasn't had any good competition as Palm and MS make garbage.
The iPhone will force RIM to roll up their sleeves and start fighting, improving and innovating. Most importantly, they will be improving faster than their previously glacial pace. Palm and MS could never force this type of competition but I think the iPhone can. This will only be good for the BlackBerry faithful because with good competition everyone gets better. Your thoughts?
Old 06-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

I think the iPhone isn't intended to compete with the BlackBerry at all.
It won't even touch RIM's corporate or enterprise users, which comprise the vast majority of their userbase.

The iPhone is an awesome device, and I can't really say a bad thing about it.
I just don't think you can fairly compare the BlackBerry to it. They're not in competition with eachother.
Two very different devices which serve very different purposes.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
jaybird@

Model: 8100
PIN: 23FFF171
Carrier: The new AT&T

You have a point.
Just sit back and wait till all the hoopla dies down to see what it can do and if it stumbles trying to do it.
(Bottom pic of Diamond Head taken with Pearl)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-29-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

even if they are not in competition (although i think they are) you still have to look at some of the tech that is on it and see that RIM will be looking step up their own software to get similar functionality.

RIM corporate and enterprise users are becoming less and less of the client base and I think those new users like their media and browsing.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Right -- the two devices are clearly not intended for the same market but that doesn't mean that RIM can't step up its more consumer-oriented features. RIM's definitely trying to attract the more consumer market with the features they have included on some of the newer models.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
King-B
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 23F8E72F
Carrier: SunCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Right -- the two devices are clearly not intended for the same market but that doesn't mean that RIM can't step up its more consumer-oriented features. RIM's definitely trying to attract the more consumer market with the features they have included on some of the newer models.
FINALLY....people who understand the nature of the iPhone!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Read the thread posted here earlier about all the Hollywood execs not being able to get one because the IT depts in their studio won't support the iPhone:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/hand...sy-signal.html

The article specifically supports the point that iPhone and BB are not in the same primary market.

I look forward to playing with one, but it will have to be someone else's $500 spent to purchase it!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
mmcapone

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Touch screen phones are the worst. I had a PPC-6700, now im sure that the iphone is going to be alot more advanced but it is touch screen never the less. Your screen will constantly be smudged, and its hard to dial while driving. Now dont get me wrong im sure the iphone will have some amazing features, programs, and whatever else, but give me a track wheel any day of the week.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
test54
BlackBerry Master

um i think they got rid of the track wheel last time i check the new devices. innovation at its best.

since 2 of the best people are in this thread, what about if apple indeed licensed MS exchange server with Active sync? Takeshi and JSanders, does that make it better or worse? Im on BIS and know almost nothing about the BES / Server end of things.
Smart Phone Makers Brace for iPhone - Examiner.com - Good quote from Basille.
RIM, Motorola Ready To Rumble With iPhone - Mobile Blog - InformationWeek
The Utility Belt: New BlackBerry Curve shows RIM's ready for the iPhone
Business & Technology | Arriving Friday, the iPhone is already having an impact | Seattle Times Newspaper

Last edited by test54; 06-29-2007 at 09:13 AM..
Old 06-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #10
camaxtli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
PIN: a colada
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (Mixcoatl-Camaxtli: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54
even if they are not in competition (although i think they are) you still have to look at some of the tech that is on it and see that RIM will be looking step up their own software to get similar functionality.

RIM corporate and enterprise users are becoming less and less of the client base and I think those new users like their media and browsing.
Hi. May I ask where you are getting the info for "RIM corporate and enterprise users are becoming less and less of their client base"
Old 06-29-2007, 09:02 AM   #11
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: ASK ME

I think apple is trying to sneak attack RIM. They both are know for stable platforms all that is missing is the exchange server hook up. I think if it does happen this way apple will be an alternative like Rim was once an alternative to treo's etc.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 06-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I will be the first to tell you I know very little about BES (others will tell I know nothing!). But, that said, yes it would make it more attractive, but again, since I don't think that (corporate) is Apple's initial market for the iPhone, it really doesn't matter (for now).

Observing their marketing (where they advertise/segments on TV, etc.) indicates to me they are pushing it towards the professional 25-45 age group with extra $$s in the their pocket.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #13
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: ASK ME

That market you speak of will son be decesion makers. Apple has a way of planting seeds in the younger market and hoping it grows with the customer. I think they know to really be a hit they have to go corporate sooner or latter but dont want that to be there core business. They are taking the same exact opposite stance as rim. Rim has corporate as the base and the consumer market as the fringe market. Apple wants to thrive in the consumer market and maybe steal a little slice of corporate or professionals who has a mac at home. This is exactly how the positioned them self in the Steve Jobs Era part 2 against Microsoft and its working.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com

Last edited by teamcrn; 06-29-2007 at 02:10 PM..
Old 06-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

^^^I would agree totally with that tactic.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #15
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc
Carrier: T-Mobile

There's a lot of things I like about it, but I don't want a phone without real keys. I can't even imagine banging out emails on that thing.

But everything else is really cool.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #16
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Three things about the iPhone that bother me:

1. No 3G capability. With all of the capability and hype, I really think 3G would be a necessity

2. How secure is the device and its email? My guess is that wasn't a design issue and it doesn't compare with RIM at all.

3. Cannot replace or pull the battery. So what happens in the event of a system crash or freeze. Do you wait until the battery dies to fix it? To replace the battery, do you send it to ATT and have to do without a phone for a period of time.

I am sure more issues will surface as this one gets to be out in public use.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:52 PM   #17
test54
BlackBerry Master

#3 is explained on their newest video on their site. Its like a computer in that you hold the one main button for 6 secondes and it kills any frozen program, and for the reset you press and hold that button and the one on the top right of the device. But I think the battery pull is something that wont be needed, but again until it is used alot im sure we will not know.

3G is definately needed on all at&t devices but i think there was definately a battery issue with the 3G radio for it.

Email im sure as you say was not designed to compare to blackberry, probably more to compete with windows mobile.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #18
MsJosay

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcapone View Post
Touch screen phones are the worst. I had a PPC-6700, now im sure that the iphone is going to be alot more advanced but it is touch screen never the less. Your screen will constantly be smudged, and its hard to dial while driving. Now dont get me wrong im sure the iphone will have some amazing features, programs, and whatever else, but give me a track wheel any day of the week.
Finally someone that understands the woes of a touch screen! At first I was very excited for the iPhone with all of the hype about it but then I got to thinking (after chucking my MDA for the sole reason that it had a cumbersome touch screen) - this iPhone thing may not be as good as one expects. Sure the new technology is cool but whats the point in using it if your control panel (aka the touch screen) is clouded with fingerprints and face smudges? I imagine the screen is going to be a pain to clean. I'd rather have a clean screen and a pretty little pearl than a dirty screen and one "home" button!

BerryReview.com
Old 06-29-2007, 03:21 PM   #19
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

***moving to Other Handhelds Forum***
Old 06-29-2007, 05:25 PM   #20
jojo6

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Three things about the iPhone that bother me:

1. No 3G capability. With all of the capability and hype, I really think 3G would be a necessity

2. How secure is the device and its email? My guess is that wasn't a design issue and it doesn't compare with RIM at all.

3. Cannot replace or pull the battery. So what happens in the event of a system crash or freeze. Do you wait until the battery dies to fix it? To replace the battery, do you send it to ATT and have to do without a phone for a period of time.

I am sure more issues will surface as this one gets to be out in public use.

i thought the iPhone is 3G.
Closed Thread