Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
kingston73
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Will an Android let me down?

Please Login to Remove!

I've been a BB user for about 4 years now, started with an 8320, switched to an 8310 to get gps, and now have an 8900. I'm lately starting to think a touch screen would be pretty nice, and specifically have been looking at the cliq xt or htc HD2. I just dont' know if I'd be let down by those when compared to my 8900? I use gps a lot, along with gmail and BBM and texting and a little facebook. I also have Slingplayer for mobile that I sometimes use to watch a bit of tv when I'm bored. Not a lot of internet usage, mainly because it's a bit slow. I'm asking about the overall experience for those of you who've had both, please don't tell me to read reviews etc. as I've done that several times, and the reviews only tell you so much.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
TheRinger
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 4
PIN: Whats a pin? lol
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
I've been a BB user for about 4 years now, started with an 8320, switched to an 8310 to get gps, and now have an 8900. I'm lately starting to think a touch screen would be pretty nice, and specifically have been looking at the cliq xt or htc HD2. I just dont' know if I'd be let down by those when compared to my 8900? I use gps a lot, along with gmail and BBM and texting and a little facebook. I also have Slingplayer for mobile that I sometimes use to watch a bit of tv when I'm bored. Not a lot of internet usage, mainly because it's a bit slow. I'm asking about the overall experience for those of you who've had both, please don't tell me to read reviews etc. as I've done that several times, and the reviews only tell you so much.
Go play with a demo model in a store for a bit, best way to get a feel for a phone.

Also, dont go for the HD2 unless you like the hell known as windows mobile
Old 06-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

If you use BBM at all, don't switch. You'll hate not having it.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
kingston73
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile

If my wife has a blackberry, is there an instant messenger we could use between an android and BB? Or is it just that BBM is that good that any other substitute would be inferior?
Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

HD2 is a winmo, and to be honest, typing isnt the best with the standard keyboard.
There are keyboard apps out there for it, but I dont use my phone alot, so Im not bothered.
I'll be moving on from the HD2 when Nokia release the E5. But for my first touchscreen experience, it is nice to be able to scroll menus and flick through pics using the screen; but it needs to be tweaked to be able to use without accidently clicking icons you don't want.

As dc said, if you use BBM you'll be disappointed not to have it, as you'll have to SMS.

If you want an android, Id suggest the HTC desire over the motorola due to the larger size (if you can get it).

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Quote:
If my wife has a blackberry, is there an instant messenger we could use between an android and BB? Or is it just that BBM is that good that any other substitute would be inferior?
There isn't an instant messenger like BBM.
BBM is BB to BB, no need to sign in, no need to sign up another account.

To instant message, youd have to use an IM program; msn, yahoo, gtalk, etc.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

A HTC Desire would prob be my choice of touch screen phone if I wanted one but:

- You may not like the loss of one handed operation possible with the BB when needed
- You may not like a phone which typically lasts only a day between charges

John
Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

I have a bold 9700 and use bbm all day everyday so i agree with people saying if you give it up you'll miss it however.... I just picked up an EVO from sprint just to check it out, I'll never give up my bb but have always had 2 phones, the EVO is outstanding technology and android blows winmo away but the battery is a disaster compared to your bb and I'm saying that without having it as my primary phone, i use around 3-3,500 minutes a month so I'm on my bb a fair amount of time and my battery always takes me through the day, any touch screen, especially the newer HTC large screen phones (EVO, HD2) the battery could be deal breaker..The EVO is very impressive so maybe check it out but keep the usage factor in mind..
Old 06-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
If you use BBM at all, don't switch. You'll hate not having it.
This IS a down side, I admit. DH and I will have to find another way to stay in touch for free when he's out of the country. And whatever we choose, it will come without some of our favorite features (D and R for starters).
Old 06-12-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Just have her load Google Talk. Its built into your Android phone and is a free download for her. Its works fine, plus you have the advantage of using it on the desktop as well, something you can't do with BBM.
Closed Thread