Old 07-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
zoukis05
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Tour or Storm

Please Login to Remove!

So what do I do?
I'm more than likely making the switch from AT&T to Verizon. I currently have an unlocked Nokia E71 that I've been using for a year on AT&T service. Over the last month or so I've been dropping an inordinate amount of calls and AT&T customer service hasn't help me. I've had T-Mobile in the past, but once I moved I no longer had service in my house, so that's not an option.
Verizon is my hopeful saving grace. I just need to decide which phone. Unfortunately Nokia doesn't make any smart phones for Verizon, and I'm not going back to Windows Mobile. So here i am going back to Blackberry (had a Pearl with T-Mobile). Now the decision is do I go with the Tour or with the Storm? I love the physical keyboard so I'm leaning towards the Tour, but it just seems like a glorified curve. Am I right or have I been away from Blackberries way too long?
Your opinions and advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
2 Samuel 22
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 96xx
PIN: Firing
Carrier: Southern Bell, PrimeCo, Omnipoint, United Telecom

The learning curve associated with the Storm touchscreen keyboard is steep and not for everyone. Since you are already familiar with and are partial to having a physical keyboard, I would suggest you stick with the 8330 or 9630.

There is a nice BB comparison tool here:
8330 vs. 9360
Old 07-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
zoukis05
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22 View Post
The learning curve associated with the Storm touchscreen keyboard is steep and not for everyone. Since you are already familiar with and are partial to having a physical keyboard, I would suggest you stick with the 8330 or 9630.

8330 vs. 9360
Don't really have a problem with a learning curve on a touchscreen keyboard. I have used them in the past (Iphone, Nokia 5800, HTC Touch). Not the biggest fan of them, but they are usable if done right.

Thanks for the link!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

You really need to head to a Verizon store and play with a display unit of the Storm. It definitely takes some getting used to. I had one for a week and took it back. I absolutely HATED the touchscreen on it. My overwhelming choice would be for the Tour, and I've ordered one already.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
zoukis05
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
You really need to head to a Verizon store and play with a display unit of the Storm. It definitely takes some getting used to. I had one for a week and took it back. I absolutely HATED the touchscreen on it. My overwhelming choice would be for the Tour, and I've ordered one already.
I've played with the Storm a few times. A couple friends of mine have it. I really love the screen size and resolution. I don't exactly hate the touch function, but I haven't played with it enough to decide whether I can use it often. That's a weekends worth of using the phone to determine if I can keep it.
I think I'm going for the Tour as well on a 1 year contract. I don't think I can go wrong with a physical keyboard, and the 2.4 inch screen isn't too much of a deal breaker for me as I'm coming from the same screen size with a lesser resolution in the E71.

Thanks for your input!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22 View Post

8330 vs. 9360
Strongly agreed

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

While I've only spent a day with the Tour it's nice to be back with a keypad. I see the speed improvement already.

I've used a Storm since last November - through the official and beta OS builds and yes right now it's solid with .148 - it works as it should and still has some shortcomings as an email device.

The screen is likely what kept me on it for so long as it's really nice. The way your interact with email is a little different as well and I do miss the buttons on the bottom to delete through emails and find the Tour now cumbersome but will need to adjust to working on it vs. how you work on a Storm as they are just different.

I'd say if you are email focused the Tour is a great device - if only it had WiFi I would be in love with the thing.

If you are lite email / txt and don't care about how fast or accurate you type. Storm is great.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
stricni
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon wireless

the storm is NOT for everyone. if u have the patients of a god and u dont mind not having any buttons and love to frustrated with resets and freezing go with the storm, after all it is the fist touch screen blackberry. Seriously though im not a fan of the storm due to me being a VZW employee and trying to get people not to buy it who think they can handle it. I ordered the tour and cannot wait to play with it. it might not be perfect rite out of the box (ill find out soon enugh) but it wont be the disaster the storm was.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Having owned both .. I recommend the Tour.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I would suggest the Tour if you need a device for more than just browsing and media functions. The Storm isn't the device you need if you email and message allot.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:07 AM   #11
mdanese
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Tour

Tour. Keep in mind that when you are typing, the screen is much smaller with the Storm. Also, the storm is heavier and is not as responsive as the iphone. I get a lot of missed "clicks" with the storm for some reason. The larger screen is nice for reading things though and movies are nice. The storm is a good idea and will probably be really nice in about 1-2 years. If they could fit a keyboard on the storm, it would be awesome.

I looked at the Tour today, and if I hadn't decided to go to ATT and the Bold, I would have gotten it with no hesitation.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
clubchucker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
Having owned both .. I recommend the Tour.
I have owned both the Storm and Tour also. I'll put my recommendation this way; one of the happiest days I've had in a long time was Sunday when I could change my model number to 9630 in my profile on here.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
zoukis05
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanese View Post
Tour. Keep in mind that when you are typing, the screen is much smaller with the Storm. Also, the storm is heavier and is not as responsive as the iphone. I get a lot of missed "clicks" with the storm for some reason. The larger screen is nice for reading things though and movies are nice. The storm is a good idea and will probably be really nice in about 1-2 years. If they could fit a keyboard on the storm, it would be awesome.

I looked at the Tour today, and if I hadn't decided to go to ATT and the Bold, I would have gotten it with no hesitation.
And there is my answer. While playing with the Storm I had a lot of missed clicks. I asked my friends if it was common, and they don't tend to realize if they do or not. If you're saying you get a lot of missed clicks, I'm going to want to throw it out the window within an hour.
I do like the Storm's screen for web browsing, but I've dealt with 2.4 inch screen with no problems for a year now.
Thanks for your help. I'm picking up my Tour tomorrow in store, when my local dealer gets them back in stock.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

You mentioned that you can't get Tmobile service at your house. Did you know that it has Wifi/UMA so you don't need the Tmobile EDGE signal if you have a router? If you get Tmob everywhere but your house you'd be OK.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
agtprvctr

Model: 8830

both have awful voice quality - sound muffled (storm is worse than tour, and both are def worse than the older blackberries). wait for the storm 2 and see if they learn their lesson (probably won't is my guess though)
Closed Thread