Model: 8800
Carrier: v
Default BB administrator no FUN

Please Login to Remove!

[ Integrated mar.com ]

Managing BlackBerry in enterprises not fun and games

13 August, 2007
By Chris Talbot

When e-mail is down, a job that is normally stressful can become even more so, but when BlackBerry service is down, things can become a nightmare -- especially since the majority of corporate BlackBerry users are middle and senior management.
A new report from Osterman Research, commissioned by Zenprise, found that 95 per cent of the 76 messaging-oriented North American decision-makers that responded to the survey said the senior managers in their organizations have BlackBerry devices. Additionally, 63 per cent of middle managers also have BlackBerry devices. Traveling employees and sales personnel are also BlackBerry users in more than 50 per cent of organizations. The percentages drop significantly below that. Additionally, research suggests that mobile devices in the enterprise will shooting toward the 100 million-user mark by 2010.

"The report and the statistics turned out to be rather interesting," said Ahmed Datoo, vice president of marketing at Zenprise. "What we've seen in terms of the pain of managing the infrastructure, to start off with, we wanted to have a better understanding of who are the people using mobile devices in the enterprises. It turns out that about 95 per cent of the people surveyed said senior managers use it."

BlackBerry use is skewed to executives, and when things go wrong, it's those executives who are breathing down the IT department's proverbial neck. Unfortunately, Datoo said things go wrong with BlackBerry management all too often. Usually when things do go wrong, the problem is usually in the interaction between Exchange and the BlackBerry, but it's also common that it's an end-user problem. Sometimes, though, the carrier or RIM's own BlackBerry network goes down (like on April 18, 2007).

When the carrier or RIM network is down, though, administrators usually find out the hard way -- after they've spent hours doing tests and trying to find the problem in their own systems, Datoo said. There's very rarely a service-level agreement (SLA) in place for BlackBerry service, unlike other mission-critical applications (like Exchange e-mail).

"What we've seen as it relates to SLAs for the BlackBerry side is we haven't seen that sort of coverage," Datoo said.

According to the report, users experience an average of 30 minutes of downtime a month, and with the number of problems with managing BlackBerry devices, the IT people responsible for the management have found that dealing with BlackBerry problems can become a full-time job. There is a lot to managing a BlackBerry network, Datoo said. Zenprise's solution to the problem is a tool that offers a wide view of the BlackBerry network, enabling administrators to view everything related to the management of BlackBerry devices in a graphical interface. Not only does it make it easier to manage, but it also frees up IT time for other projects, Datoo said. The tool offers administrators analysis of problems, as well as a thorough breakdown of how to fix the problem.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Did you write that?

**EDIT: Moved to BlackBerry in the News section**

Last edited by JSanders; 08-15-2007 at 08:31 AM..
Old 08-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
hb88xx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: v

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Did you write that?

**EDIT: Moved to BlackBerry in the News section**
No not from my Pen.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
dpeters11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

I don't know, the BES isn't exactly what keeps me up at night. Maybe we just have a small deployment (120), but we rarely have issues. In fact we've got it so that if Exchange goes down the Blackberries will still work like normal, so it eases things a bit for the Exchange admin if we ever had an Exchange outage.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb88xx View Post
No not from my Pen.
Good, then I can say what I wanted: What horrible writing and editing skills! No quotations where they belong, facts just stated as fact with attribution to anyone. I see one whole word missing in a sentence as well.

Oh well, I guess my problem is that I can't comprehend the meat of the article because of the glaring mistakes throughout it.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

30 minutes a month is only 99.9%. That's a lot for a messaging platform. We never see that much unavailability in our system and we are a small world-wide shop (1200 messaging users and 16 blackberry users). I agree with the others that BES is probably the most reliable portion of our total messaging "ecosystem."

WRT the support, well, welcome to life in information systems and support! It's not easy troubleshooting systems and services when multiple vendors are involved. Welcome to real life.

What I get out of the "news post" is that email is best left to be managed by a slave. Ideally no one really wants to be that slave, but someone needs to do it. I don't mind doing it as long as I have the resources to properly execute the job. This is why I no longer run my ownpersonal mail server. I'd rather farm that job out to someone else.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
mattk0
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Wow, we have about 300 bberry users and I'd definitely say we are way below 30 minutes/month of unavailability. I also don't find it as Daunting as a task as it refers. I work probably 30% of my time on managing all bberry users and the BES, and I'm the only support of this in our company.

I also wonder what "report" they are referring to..(Nevermind: I saw the report was commissioned by Zenrpise)

Last edited by mattk0; 08-16-2007 at 10:32 AM..
Closed Thread