John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: 6.0.0.448 leaked for 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard S. View Post
You seem really happy with OS6. I guess what's stopping me is I'm worried some of the 3rd party apps I use and need won't work. Question: would I need to wipe my phone first (really not excited about doing that), or can I upgrade like I have for previous OS5 upgrades which is deleting vendor.xml file and running loader.exe?
No, you don't need to wipe the device first.

However, I do recommend when jumping up in major OS upgrades (i.e. 5.x to 6.x) that you do not transfer 3rd party apps. I would uncheck them during the upgrade and then download and reinstall the correct versions for OS6. I would check with the developers of said applications to see if they support OS6. Many times the version they have available is different for the different OS's. If they don't offer a download specifically for OS6 then you can try the OS 5 version and see if it works. A little research beforehand goes a long way.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #23
numarw

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange

DIRECT LINK that works just copy and paste.

fileserve.com/file/QP59NQj/9700M_PBr6.0.0_rel1879_PL6.6.0.124_A6.0.0.448.exe

Cheers
Old 01-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #24
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by numarw View Post
DIRECT link copy/paste it

fileserve.com/file/QP59NQj/9700M_PBr6.0.0_rel1879_PL6.6.0.124_A6.0.0.448.exe
numarw, please stop with the double posts and PLEASE read the threads before posting something that's already been posted. I know you mean well, but it's annoying and you've been told numerous times.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #25
Calebrity
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Virgin mobile

Quote:
You seem really happy with OS6. I guess what's stopping me is I'm worried some of the 3rd party apps I use and need won't work. Question: would I need to wipe my phone first (really not excited about doing that), or can I upgrade like I have for previous OS5 upgrades which is deleting vendor.xml file and running loader.exe?
Hi Howard I am extremely happy with the OS 6, as have been mentioned you can do the upgrade feature as you have mentioned and John Clark have outlined. But for the first load of the OS6 on your 9700 I would advise doing a full back up with DTM and then after doing that close the DTM then run the loader.exe, make sure it wipes the whole device and then restore your back up file after with DTM.

As John Clark has mentioned, and I will agree 100% anything you have downloaded, 3rd party apps themes or anything like that. uncheck it in the application selection screen.

If you are feeling really ambitious before you run the Loader.exe file use a program such as BB Boss V1.1 to shrink the OS of the programs you dont need or will never use. it will give you more space and allot for a smoother operating system.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #26
Calebrity

I have had this on my leaked OS on my Berry for a good day and a half now, and haven't charged it in 24 hours and used it very moderately and battery life is the best I seen I am still sitting at 70 percent.

Full EDGE (2G) apps running have been facebook, BBm, email, test, msn, IM+ lite and browsing, and a few 10-15 minute calls

overall I have noticed a really good improvement through this OS and am very impressed with it, Best leaked OS release yet for the 6.0 on the 9700
Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #27
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebrity View Post
But for the first load of the OS6 on your 9700 I would advise doing a full back up with DTM and then after doing that close the DTM then run the loader.exe, make sure it wipes the whole device and then restore your back up file after with DTM.
I lost you a bit on "make sure it wipes the whole device". Could you explain? Using the way you listed, would I be correct that my 3rd party apps, which I've checked are all OS 6 compatible, would have to be re-downloaded one at a time? I'm a little hesitant as I have more than a few from BB World, and it can sometimes be a challenge to re-download paid apps.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #28
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
If you are feeling really ambitious before you run the Loader.exe file use a program such as BB Boss V1.1 to shrink the OS of the programs you dont need or will never use. it will give you more space and allot for a smoother operating system.
I took a look at that BB Boss program and it looks real good. Certainly may give that a go after I upgrade and see what's what.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #29
Calebrity

Quote:
I lost you a bit on "make sure it wipes the whole device". Could you explain? Using the way you listed, would I be correct that my 3rd party apps, which I've checked are all OS 6 compatible, would have to be re-downloaded one at a time? I'm a little hesitant as I have more than a few from BB World, and it can sometimes be a challenge to re-download paid apps.
When you get to the Step where you click finish on the loader.exe you will see an advanced button, if you click that then you will see the option to do a full wipe but deleting everything if selectable if not it should be checked off in the background. then select "do not back up" then next and then finish let it does its magic

as for the BB app world make sure before you reload your BB that you have a Blackberry ID already assigned to your blackberry, having this will allow you to download your paid apps through BB appworld and not charge you as it will already be attached to your ID In the "My World" section in BB app world once you log back in with your blackberry ID.

hope this helps if anything is unclear let me know I will help with what I can
Old 01-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #30
obi1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9860
PIN: 28A6BB27
Carrier: Vodafone RO

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
No, you don't need to wipe the device first.

However, I do recommend when jumping up in major OS upgrades (i.e. 5.x to 6.x) that you do not transfer 3rd party apps. I would uncheck them during the upgrade and then download and reinstall the correct versions for OS6. I would check with the developers of said applications to see if they support OS6. Many times the version they have available is different for the different OS's. If they don't offer a download specifically for OS6 then you can try the OS 5 version and see if it works. A little research beforehand goes a long way.
i very agree with that.last time i've tried to upgrade to os.6 from .os5, i've tried to take with me a version of DocsToGo, and i've ended not to be able to use it with the new .os6, cause it wasn't recognise that version.so i totally agree, doing a clean instal, much more than that you'll save a few mb.i would say my bb is working fine, like i said i've put it to charge last night, so i'll see how many days will last.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #31
4wheel

Carrier: Verizon
Question Re: 6.0.0.448 leaked for 9700

Hi all, could someone help out? The links to download do not work anymore. Pls help out. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #32
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

You are going to have to search the Internet for it. This version was not released by RIM or a carrier, and obviously steps have been taken to remove it.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #33
4wheel

Thanks, I got it through mediafire.com/?hlt43o16uy9rn4l
Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #34
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Quote:
When you get to the Step where you click finish on the loader.exe you will see an advanced button, if you click that then you will see the option to do a full wipe but deleting everything if selectable if not it should be checked off in the background. then select "do not back up" then next and then finish let it does its magic

as for the BB app world make sure before you reload your BB that you have a Blackberry ID already assigned to your blackberry, having this will allow you to download your paid apps through BB appworld and not charge you as it will already be attached to your ID In the "My World" section in BB app world once you log back in with your blackberry ID.

hope this helps if anything is unclear let me know I will help with what I can
Not sure that that's the way to fully "wipe" the device. To correctly wipe a device and perform a fresh install, as you are explaining, you have to use a tool like Javaloader...which effectively wipes the OS and makes the device unusable, so it will not boot. Then, you use loader.exe to install the new OS. The user can either selectively restore, or restore the entire file, assuming they have backed it up prior to the full wipe. Your method won't wipe the device fully, so I have seen anyway.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 01-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #35
4wheel

So far, the OS is working fine:

New (upgraded) Facebook interface,
No cursor issue (so far with BBM, SMS, etc)
Blinking charging lightning sign
Loading from start-up slightly faster,
Memory leak still there though minimal.
Battery life: slightly improved
Maybe more...

Really a casual user might not notice the differences in this OS version from previous ones.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #36
John Clark
BBF Moderator

To those talking about "full wipe", etc. There is NO reason to do that. The loader process does a full wipe no matter what you check during the loader process. It makes no difference if you make the backup during the loader process or not, its the same.

Just foillow the instructions posted above. The instructions were written for the simplest and most trouble-free method of upgrading an OS. Recommendtions of the "full wipe" or NOT necessary. If you watch closely during the loader process you'll see your device momentarily show the 507 error. That means it wiped.

So please, quit with all the different instructions that are not necessary. Also, "shrinking" an OS may be beneficial but I don't recommend it for just anyone. You need to know what you're doing as removing a cod may render the device unusable and you'll have to start over with a full wipe and reinstall.

John
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #37
Calebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Not sure that that's the way to fully "wipe" the device. To correctly wipe a device and perform a fresh install, as you are explaining, you have to use a tool like Javaloader...which effectively wipes the OS and makes the device unusable, so it will not boot. Then, you use loader.exe to install the new OS. The user can either selectively restore, or restore the entire file, assuming they have backed it up prior to the full wipe. Your method won't wipe the device fully, so I have seen anyway.
for a basic user that is looking to remove everything down to basics and start fresh it would work for there needs, as you have explained the Javaloader too I would consider more of a power user tool. But thanks again for clarifying for me, and everyone else
Old 01-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #38
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Again, there is NO need to wipe a device at all unless you are wanting to reload the esact version already on the device or unless there is a serious problem.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #39
Calebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Again, there is NO need to wipe a device at all unless you are wanting to reload the esact version already on the device or unless there is a serious problem.
true but when upgrading from a different OS version 5.0 to 6.0 it is good to do so you wipe out 3rd party apps that are not compatible, is it not?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #40
14pups

Carrier: T-mobile

Aw crap.

Got that funky white screen with screwed up icons and nothing wants to work, just like the situation a couple of months ago when you did not delete those two T-mobile files.

Reloaded it twice already and still the same result.

Any ideas ?

THX
Closed Thread