numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Just as much as I don't ever see myself moving from Mac computers or ipods to any other brand, that is how I feel about Blackberry. I can honestly say I'd rather pay $500 for a Berry Bold than be given $100 to use a free iphone 3G. I won't bash on it because I have not really played with an iPhone beyond watching the address book scroll through in that cool fluid way, but I know what's important to me and I stick with what works well. I've been using this 1st generation Pearl on AT&T since the first half of last year and I can honestly say that aside from that damn hour glass that shows up now and then, the berry is phenomenal in every aspect. Phone works so well, browser is slow but 3g and wifi should be a huge improvement, and then the bberry messenger is probably my favorite thing ever to be featured on a phone. So many of my friends are on bbm and so many more are getting blackberries that I don't want to lose that extra communication channel which I happen to like way better than text msgng or actual talking. The Bold will probably address every possible improvement over my old Pearl, aside from being a bit bigger. Now if AT&T would release the thing already because Bold funds are seriously burning a hole through my pockets.
I also love how you can sign a new 2 yr contract 13+ months into your current 2 yr contract. So great.
Brand loyalty is as good as any other reason to stick with something. I will always buy Chevy for example. What I can't stand is people who bash something without knowing ANYTHING about the other product. Ive been PC and MAC arguments where people argue about how much macs suck, because all they know is their mac classic from back in the day. Thats like comparing Windows 3.11 to OSX and saying Windows sucks because it can't connect to the internet without winsock running. LOL

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 07-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #362
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I've read that and I PERFECTLY agree. Whats great is it was from Boy Genius, who is typically pro-BlackBerry. I love how he puts his bias aside and gives a good educated comparison on both.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #363
conker
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 249E86E3

Numethus,

You have been quiet... How are you liking your iPhone?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #364
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by conker View Post
Numethus,

You have been quiet... How are you liking your iPhone?
Grrrrrr I have not gotten it yet! I WAS going to get it until I saw the lines ... then I got busy. Now its finals week at the school and I've got a lot of grading to do. And this weekend is going to be spent preparing for the next term! I'm so frustrated. LOL. Probably Monday after my first class.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #365
conker

Okay, cool, would love to hear your opinion. I have been following this thread, and I think you are approaching both sides logically. Obviously, it helps that you are really familiar with the BB... Here is where I am at... I started with a 8700, and have been rocking the 8800 for 2 years now. The USB connector on the 8800 just broke, so I am back on my 8700. I was hoping to get the Bold, but I just cannot wait, and the iPhone is such a compelling device. The only personal argument I have with myself for not getting the iPhone is the lack of keyboard, but that just isn't enough now to dissuade from a purchase. Now that iPhone2 seems to have better support (IMAP) for email than BB users on BIS (like myself) it's REALLY hard to not consider it. So here is my plan.... Get the iPhone, and if I really don't like it, can't get use to the virtual keyboard, etc..., then get the Bold. This plan gives me a solid 2 months or more until the Bold launches....

Can't wait to hear your review...
Old 07-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #366
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Okay, cool, would love to hear your opinion. I have been following this thread, and I think you are approaching both sides logically. Obviously, it helps that you are really familiar with the BB... Here is where I am at... I started with a 8700, and have been rocking the 8800 for 2 years now. The USB connector on the 8800 just broke, so I am back on my 8700. I was hoping to get the Bold, but I just cannot wait, and the iPhone is such a compelling device. The only personal argument I have with myself for not getting the iPhone is the lack of keyboard, but that just isn't enough now to dissuade from a purchase. Now that iPhone2 seems to have better support (IMAP) for email than BB users on BIS (like myself) it's REALLY hard to not consider it. So here is my plan.... Get the iPhone, and if I really don't like it, can't get use to the virtual keyboard, etc..., then get the Bold. This plan gives me a solid 2 months or more until the Bold launches....

Both are great. If you have ever used a touch screen on any other device, then this blows them all away. It is highly responsive and accurate. You don't have to put ANY pressure on the glass because it is capacitive and not a pressure sensitive screen. Whatever is the first portion of your finger to hit the screen is what is recognized. So you can type extremely fast on the virtual keyboard. Honestly I can type just as fast or faster on my iPhone as on my curve, but cannot do so for extended emails that are a page or so. My iPhone is a much more enjoyable device but it cannot compare for what I need at work because I write large email and notes to myself. The lack of notes on the iPhone syncing to the desktop also hampers it. On the BB I am used to writing a note in Outlook and have it automatically appear on the BB. This doesn't happen on the iPhone. I hope someone has a 3rd party solution for that soon.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #367
Fuelie Nova
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I haven't got my iPhone yet. I was out of town the weekend they went on sale. By the time I got back they were out ATT has a preorder deal, I ordered one last sunday, they said 7-10 business days. I noticed today on the status page it no longer says backordered... it just doesn't say shipped yet...
Tg
Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #368
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I cannot wait for the 9000. On a side note, I am waiting for the 1st gen iPhones to drop in price so i can use one as my toy.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:49 AM   #369
conker

Quote:

So I played around with my buddies iPhone, and it became really clear to me that I would be frustrated using the iPhone as a communication device - calling, sms, IM, email... It simply does not have the efficient usability functionality that BB's have for these methods of communication. Yes, the iPhone wins hands down in terms of multimedia and high quality 3rd party applications, but for this user - communication is priority #1. I guess I'll just stay with my 8700 for now, and wait (a painful wait) for the Bold.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:32 AM   #370
catwoman66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Vodafone (Italy)

I made the switch after being with BB for 2 years...syncing with my macs now is another story..
Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #371
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I probably should post this somewhere else, but my question kind of fits in this thread for those thinking of switching or for a 2nd phone as I am thinking.

So I am thinking of buying a 1st iPhone off of CL as my 2nd or "fun" phone. I am a US customer on the T-Mobile network. If I bought one that was already ready to go for T-Mobile, what data plan would I have to purchase through T-Mobile to get email and internet?
Old 07-27-2008, 07:22 AM   #372
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by avelasqu View Post
I probably should post this somewhere else, but my question kind of fits in this thread for those thinking of switching or for a 2nd phone as I am thinking.

So I am thinking of buying a 1st iPhone off of CL as my 2nd or "fun" phone. I am a US customer on the T-Mobile network. If I bought one that was already ready to go for T-Mobile, what data plan would I have to purchase through T-Mobile to get email and internet?
I have a 2G iPhone coming as a "fun" phone next week, to use while I'm waiting for the BlackBerry Bold to drop (if it ever does...) into AT&T's lineup. I've had several iPhones before...but thought it would be neat to play with one again for a while...especially now with all the available apps and functions.

I can't see me going back to the iPhone for good though...
Old 07-27-2008, 08:06 AM   #373
sjohns2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

Well, I was debating on the iPhone 3G and the Bold and just couldn't wait. The iPhone was to compelling so I made the purchase on the first day they went on sale. Yes, I waited in line for 2 hours from start until I walked out the door with the phone. After more than 2 weeks of use I've got to say that I really LOVE the iphone. My greatest fear was using the keyboard, but it's really not to bad. Takes a little getting use to after using a Blackberry, but not bad. However, for those iPhone users that say they can type faster on the iPhone than a full QWERTY Blackberry, I've got to call them out as liars or they've never actually used a Blackberry. There is just no way I can type as fast on my iPhone as I can on my Blackberry. I don't use my phone just to type messages so the iPhone has been great. Some of the Apps are really good too.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #374
Fuelie Nova
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

I've had a few days with my iphone 3g. I really like it... I am also one who will say I can type as fast on the iphone as I can on the pearl. It seems to handle the volume of email that I get with no problems (approx 70/day). The calendar works fine. I like the way it does texting... it makes it easier to follow a conversation. When importing contacts from the pearl it will not import all numbers stored under one name... I had to manually enter the contacts that had multiple phone numbers, it would only import the first number. I really like the way it does voice mail, you can select which voice mail you want to listen to, fast forward or play back easily.
I originally thought I would try this and then probably switch back to BB with all the comments I heard about how it is not a business machine. Probably not going to happen...
Tg
Old 08-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #375
ikasen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

I've also had my new iphone for a few days, and am pleasantly surprised. I also really like it, an have found getting used to the keyboard way easier than everything I've read.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #376
conker

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Grrrrrr I have not gotten it yet! I WAS going to get it until I saw the lines ... then I got busy. Now its finals week at the school and I've got a lot of grading to do. And this weekend is going to be spent preparing for the next term! I'm so frustrated. LOL. Probably Monday after my first class.
Did you get one yet?
Closed Thread