BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
larrymcj
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default How to remove email notification envelope?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm sure the answer to this is "it can't be done" but I'll ask anyway. Is there anyway to completely remove the email notification envelope icon associated with BIS email accounts?

Here's why...I use exclusively Gmail App for my mail, but because I also use Vlingo (vlingo) I need to have a BIS Gmail IMAP account configured just for outgoing messages that Vlingo does. I never look at the BIS account inbox and don't even care about it...just have to have it. I can hide it, stop the LED notifications for it, and remove the unread message count number by the icon, but I can't get rid of the icon. It's annoying just sitting there all the time because it takes Gmail about two hours to sync back to my 8330.

The only option I have now is to open that BIS account inbox and then close it...thus stopping the icon from displaying. Maybe there's a better way. Thanks.

LarryMcJ
Old 01-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

There is no way to eliminate the notification icon for new mail. If mail is on then the notification is automatic. You can mute the audible alert but that's about all.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
crusecontrl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: Capped in my pocket
Carrier: AT&T

Are you talking about the icon in the menu or the notification icon on the top of the screen
Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

If you're talking about the icon for the BIS account you can just hide it.

If you're talking about the new email notification at the top of the home screen I think the best solution is this -- assuming that you don't want/need inbound email which sounds correct based on your post:

Set the default filter for the email account to not forward email. No new inbound email = no notification icon for this email account.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
larrymcj

As stated earlier in the thread...I need to have the BIS email account for GMail IMAP along with my Gmail Mobile App. The reason is I use the voice activated app Vlingo.com and it works ONLY with the inherent BIS email accounts.

I've already determined this envelope icon can not be deleted and I need to just live with it anyway as it also displays when I get email on the Gmail mobile app.

Larry
Old 01-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2
Carrier: Verizon

It could be deleted theme wise, or hidden at least?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcj View Post
I've already determined this envelope icon can not be deleted and I need to just live with it anyway as it also displays when I get email on the Gmail mobile app.
Really? I use the gmail app and I don't get any notification icon at the top of my screen. Which version are you using?
Old 01-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

You could always login to your BIS account and disable forwarding of your email. This will effectively eliminate that icon for that account, since no email for that account will be delivered to your device.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #9
larrymcj

takeshi,

You're right...new mail in the Gmail app doesn't display the envelope at the top...my mistake.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
larrymcj

CO_BBTechie,

Thanks so much...and this would have been the perfect answer if I hadn't just realized I still need BIS to forward the messages to my BB. Vlingo has a menu item for reply/reply to all/forward so I need the message to be in the Gmail BIS account as well so I can use Vlingo.

LarryMcJ
Old 01-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcj View Post
CO_BBTechie,

Thanks so much...and this would have been the perfect answer if I hadn't just realized I still need BIS to forward the messages to my BB. Vlingo has a menu item for reply/reply to all/forward so I need the message to be in the Gmail BIS account as well so I can use Vlingo.

LarryMcJ
Fair enough... you could create a filter to allow email from only certain contacts to forward... this may at least cut down on the number of indicator activations.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
larrymcj

There really aren't that many, as you know Gmail doesn't let much through that isn't supposed to get through I'll still remember your tip...I've been thumbing on these things for ten years and I would have never thought of that. Thanks again.

Larry
Closed Thread