CornerCarver
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Thumbs up GARMIN v5.0.1 for Bold

Please Login to Remove!

All I can say is--WOW!!!

Seriously, this has to be rated as one of the best software for the Bold, period. I found it on one of the "archive" map/navigation softwares from the BlackBerry Home Page.

I was a bit nervous, because I wasn't sure if it would support the Bold. Not only does it support it, but it even has the perfect icon for it.

And the software is VERY polished. I actually own a Garmin C330 stand-alone unit, but in may ways, this is actually better (minus the touch screen--man, thinking this, the Storm is going to be awesome for this).

The menu is very pretty, very hi-res and easy on the eyes. Very big and colourful icons. It has night-mode too, so it doesn't kill your eye balls when driving with it at night.

Few key features that I have on this, but don't have on my stand-alone C330 Garmin:

Contact: Yep, it links to your address book. Select this option, and it will pull the address from your contacts list. Asks you if you want Work, Home, or whatever address.

Traffic Update: I guess it gets it from the interweb...

Panoramio: Basically, pulls out all the scenic areas, of your current location. With photos. If you like "going out for drives" this is very, VERY cool. I am currently visiting my parents who live in small town, and sure enough, it even has the small waterfalls nearby listed. Tells you how far it is from your current location. With photos to go with it. And you select go, and it will start navigating you there. I am so impressed.

Always Updated POI: Point of Interest, for GPS noobs. Yep, it uses Google, so the information is always updated. Gives you the phone number of the place too.. and one touch calling. You know, in case you want to make reservation.

Flight Status: I guess if you are a frequent flyer mile collector, this would come in handy. Basically, you select this option, and it pulls up all the near by airports. After you select one, you can check flight number, list departures and list arrivals. For kicks, I did Pearson Toronto, Departure, Air Canada, and sure enough it pulls up all the information from the Airport!! Tells me which terminal, what time the flight took off, where it is going, when it is scheduled to land, and when it actually landed.

That's the only difference I could find from my stand-alone C330 Garmin GPS.

Other notes... route calculations are very quick.

I was just bored so I downloaded this software.. but I think I will actually buy it. It's like Garmin device with internet access. It can do so much more than a stand-alone GPS.

List of short comings compared to the stand-alone device? The speakers aren't as good (still quite good though, since Bold has very nice speakers for a phone). Data entry while driving, is a lot easier on the standalone (nice big touchscreen buttons). Bigger screen on the standalone, barely.. but Bold makes up for it with double the resolution and way better brightness. Maps, when zooming in & out, or panning, takes longer to display, since it is pulling the data over the area; whereas the standalone has the map stored inside. And the actual act of navigation isn't quite as polished as the stnad-alone device. Overall though, there are more pros than cons, IMO.

Price-wise, it is $99.99... and maps never go out of date.

Somebody on another thread mentioned something about ProClips for perfect vehicle mounting (they make 2 part mounts--one for specific to the device, and other back piece specific to the vehicle). I might have to go this route.

Going to be rougly $200 investment after all said and done.. but I think it is worth it, for all its functionality.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

I just downloaded 5.0.1 for the Curve and I too am very impressed. Unfortunately, I don't have a Bold yet (waiting for AT&T to get it out), and you review of this application has just made my pain with waiting even harder to bear.

I agree, though, that this is a very nice application. I am going to test it out tomorrow when I head in to work. Looks like it will work very, very well, and this is coming from a TomTom user. Now if TomTom would release something...

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
CornerCarver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
I just downloaded 5.0.1 for the Curve and I too am very impressed. Unfortunately, I don't have a Bold yet (waiting for AT&T to get it out), and you review of this application has just made my pain with waiting even harder to bear.

I agree, though, that this is a very nice application. I am going to test it out tomorrow when I head in to work. Looks like it will work very, very well, and this is coming from a TomTom user. Now if TomTom would release something...
Yeah, I used TomTom quite a bit with my old Treo 650.

Map view wise, I really loved TomTom (I loved how the camera squatted down more, to give you a more driver's point of view, as opposed to bird's eye view).

I just didn't like it because of the map information...... it was really hard to find addresses, because it was a little too specific. It would break up cities into little towns that nobody calls by. Garmin would have both names, so it was easy.

The only down side to this is if I drove out of the country with this. I would ring up serious roaming data fee.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
lauriem

I have the trial downloaded and working on my Bold. It's great! Just one problem, when I log into my Garmin account online to pay for it, I see they do not sell online to Canada, just the USA. Anyone in Canada been able to purchase this?

thanks.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
CornerCarver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriem View Post
I have the trial downloaded and working on my Bold. It's great! Just one problem, when I log into my Garmin account online to pay for it, I see they do not sell online to Canada, just the USA. Anyone in Canada been able to purchase this?

thanks.
Hmm I haven't attempted to buy it yet. I did see not see a Canada option either... :(

In the past though, I have been able to purchase things where it was for "US Only". I would use any state & zip code.. but enter in my real City, Province and Postal Code in the 2nd line of the address. And it would always go through.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
dicin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

That is the way to do CornerCarver. It works great on the Bold.

Last edited by dicin; 09-21-2008 at 02:27 PM..
Old 09-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
fearomoon

Carrier: TMO

where can i get the trial? wenn i try to download it via getmobile.garmin.com it says it's not supportet for my device
Old 09-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
lauriem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriem View Post

thanks.
Sorry to quote myself, but I believe I found my answer. It can be purchased at Shopping Cart : Handango

Enter coupon code of SAVE20NOW and it's $79.99 (vs. $99.99 at Garmin). Clicking 'continue' takes me to a page where I can select the Balckberry device (Bold) and payment options, which include Paypal.

Buying now...
Old 09-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Nice! Thanks for the tip.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
jimpilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Is this a new version? I purchased in May but can't find any version on the program.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #11
princep

Model: Bold
Carrier: Orange UK

wow, now this is promotion :D haha
Old 09-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #12
Marker

When you buy from Handango, does it matter which device you choose? I can't select Garmin Mobile for the Blackberry Bold, but I can choose it for the 8800 and others. Are all the devices running on the same executable file? I'm using the demo version of 5.0.1 with good results right now, all I need to do is purchase an activation code. Thanks.

*UPDATE* I was only able to download a later release of v4 from Handango. Needless to say the activation code didn't work on the 5.0.1 demo. Has anyone on the Rogers network managed to get an activation code for the v5 demo?

Last edited by Marker; 09-21-2008 at 07:30 PM..
Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
f2tai

Carrier: Telstra
Default us only i beleaf

being a canadian in australia, i'm double doh-ing b/c i don't think the app will work in either country i'm in!

oh well.. anyone from oz/ canada recommend a GPS app OTHER than gMaps? gMap is great, but i am a tad concerned about how much data it uses!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:00 AM   #14
lauriem

Wirelessly posted

I purchased from Handango but received code for V4. I have requested the code for V5 or a refund. V4 works in Canada on the Bold but the UI is very poor compared to the newest.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:19 AM   #15
dicin
Thumbs Must Hurt

CornerCarver explains how to do it. I am using a rogers phone unlocked to fido with no problems.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:22 AM   #16
dicin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Get the refund from handago and get it from garmin.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #17
oester
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T

How did you download V 5.0.1 for the Bold from Garmin? I tried Garmin Mobile - but it told me it wasn't supported for my device.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #18
trafsta

I'd like to know how to get Garmin 5.x on my Bold as well. I'm with Rogers in Canada. I'm running into the same problem as everyone here trying to find a OTA download link that will work with a BB Bold. Hmmmrph

EDIT: Found a download link on another thread on this forum but I only have 4 posts and need 10 to post links so I can't share it with you, but it is under "BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community - BlackBerry Technical - GPS & Mapping - Garmin Mobilexxx8482;for BlackBerry"

Still need to find out how to buy it in Canada though

Last edited by trafsta; 09-22-2008 at 08:44 AM..
Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #19
dr_jared88
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by trafsta View Post
I'd like to know how to get Garmin 5.x on my Bold as well. I'm with Rogers in Canada. I'm running into the same problem as everyone here trying to find a OTA download link that will work with a BB Bold. Hmmmrph

EDIT: Found a download link on another thread on this forum but I only have 4 posts and need 10 to post links so I can't share it with you, but it is under "BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community - BlackBerry Technical - GPS & Mapping - Garmin Mobile™for BlackBerry"

Still need to find out how to buy it in Canada though
Heres the link to the thread:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-...lackberry.html

And heres the link to the ota:
Garmin Mobile: Built for BlackBerry
Old 09-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerCarver View Post
In the past though, I have been able to purchase things where it was for "US Only". I would use any state & zip code.. but enter in my real City, Province and Postal Code in the 2nd line of the address. And it would always go through.
Quote:
That is the way to do CornerCarver. It works great on the Bold.
Does this really work - I tried it last night and it did not process payment. What format did you use for the items in the 'line two' field?
Closed Thread