Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Globetrotterdoug
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default Rogers Bold and International Travel on AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

For those of you who have the Rodgers Bold and AT&T and have travled outside of North America, does the phone allow for network selection outside of North America? AT&T branded phones with an AT&T SIM, while they do not allow for network selction in the US or Canada, do allow for selection outside the US. This is helpful to select a carrier with EDGE vs. GPRS only service. The Rodgers Bold allows the 2G vs 3G selction which is incredibly useful but my question is whether you forgo network selction outside the US (although presumalt the 2G vs.3G choice still works.) Please respond if you have actual experience. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Wirelessly posted

I have a Rogers Bold, and I have used the original Rogers OS (162?) and the AT&T OS overseas in Asia with no issues. I can select networks automatically and manually, and I can choose between 2G, 3G, and 2G and 3G (3 seperate options). Currently using .185, which also works very well.

Steve

Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Old 11-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
dbltap
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A

I've traveled quite a bit with my Rogers Bold using an AT&T SIM & the AT&T International Data plan. You have full control of which carriers and types of network connectivity you wish to use. However, not all carriers that will work with the Bold are part of the AT&T International Data plan. I strongly urge you to review the data plan partner site before you travel. Roam Zone for Discounted Rate Plans | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

I made the mistake of just looking for a good 3G signal where ever I went. Big data charges. Make sure you choose a carrier that is listed on that web site for each country you visit. While a carrier may be a partner in one country, that same company may not be an AT&T partner in another. i.e. Movistar in South America. Good in Columbia but not Argentina.

I did have a number of issues with .162 and weak signals switching automatically between carriers as the signal was lost. Bold rebooted several times a day with this build. I haven't seen that problem with .190

Last edited by dbltap; 11-22-2008 at 09:09 AM..
Old 11-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

Globetrotterdoug,

dbltap brought up a few good points that I should clarify. First, I am on AT&T, but unlike dbltp, I am using the Blackberry International with Voice Plan (not the the International Data Plan for Smartphones, PDAs and iPhones). They are much different in their coverage. The Int'l PDA/Smartphone plan is, as mentioned, only valid in 85 countries with (apparently) select providers. The BB Int'l Plan DOES require a 1 year commitment, but works in "over 150 countries". In my experience, if I have a signal, I'm covered, no extra charges. For any data I use on my BB (email, web, etc).

The details from AT&T:

"BlackBerry International with Voice $64.99 per month
Combine BlackBerry International with your existing wireless voice plan and get a $5 monthly discount off the $69.99 data plan price.
Call 1-800-331-0500 to sign up now.

One–year minimum term required for this plan."

MY NOTE: The $65/$69 is the total for the BB data, whether in the US or outside (it replaces the "in the US-only" BB data plan you probably already have).

Hope that helps. Just make sure you get the right plan for your needs. If you need more, let me know.

dbltap, I hate to ask much AT&T got you for for extra data charges. Sounds like the original iPhone roaming $1000 bills...

Steve

Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Old 11-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
Globetrotterdoug
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks, all. Like weath, I have the BB int'l data plan with voice. This is supposed to give you email (only) anywhere you can get a signal with a AT&T roaming partner. In theory, it's for email only but not for browsing. But, I've never been charged for data anywhere. It's the best int'l deal you can get. Now if there was only a VOIP solution, I'd be set. I've always roamed with AT&T branded phones that I thought contained some programming to override the AT&T SIM that prohibits network selction in the US. That was very handy for the Curve so I could select carriers that supported EDGE. I'm glad to hear I can get this on the Rogers Bold as well. I'll be in Argentina next month and will let all know my findings.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
dbltap

Well... Argentina was here I had the problem. Stay on Personal and you should be fine. Claro & Movistar are not part of the data plan. Unfortunately for me, Movistar's HQ was right next door to my office in BA. So I had great 3G signal there. So I used it. Actually, it wasn't too bad. Only about $250 in data charges. I am on a similar International plan. I think mine is about $95 a month for 900 mins of domestic calling,1500 domestic txt and "unlimited international data" But there is a * with that data in it has to be a roaming partner. I'm just gonna be a lot more careful in the future. One of my colleagues had a $1000 bill from roaming in China.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
LCC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotterdoug View Post
Thanks, all. Like weath, I have the BB int'l data plan with voice. This is supposed to give you email (only) anywhere you can get a signal with a AT&T roaming partner. In theory, it's for email only but not for browsing. But, I've never been charged for data anywhere. It's the best int'l deal you can get. Now if there was only a VOIP solution, I'd be set. I've always roamed with AT&T branded phones that I thought contained some programming to override the AT&T SIM that prohibits network selction in the US. That was very handy for the Curve so I could select carriers that supported EDGE. I'm glad to hear I can get this on the Rogers Bold as well. I'll be in Argentina next month and will let all know my findings.
I believe data is included. I have never been charged. Look at the link below in the table, says international data is included.

Available Data Rate Plans | AT&T wireless services
Old 11-27-2008, 02:30 AM   #8
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

I have also never been charged extra for data. I agree, VoIP, and I'd be over the moon!

Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Last edited by weath; 11-27-2008 at 02:33 AM..
Old 11-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
dbltap

Of course.... if you use Blue Tooth DUN tethering from the Bold to a laptop.... and then Skype from the laptop.... ;)

Not totally as clean as doing VoIP directly from the phone. But it does work.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

It's a valid work around

Man, I wish fring or SOMEONE would put out a true VOIP client for the Bold that's SIP compliant.. Awesomeness!

Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Old 11-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
MiamiBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbltap View Post
Well... Argentina was here I had the problem. Stay on Personal and you should be fine. Claro & Movistar are not part of the data plan. Unfortunately for me, Movistar's HQ was right next door to my office in BA. So I had great 3G signal there. So I used it. Actually, it wasn't too bad. Only about $250 in data charges. I am on a similar International plan. I think mine is about $95 a month for 900 mins of domestic calling,1500 domestic txt and "unlimited international data" But there is a * with that data in it has to be a roaming partner. I'm just gonna be a lot more careful in the future. One of my colleagues had a $1000 bill from roaming in China.
I think you should consider changing your data plan to the BlackBerry International with Voice $64.99 per month; With this plan you should not be charged anything for data usage outside of the US. It sounds like you are on a PDA international data plan, not the Blackberry data plan.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
dbltap

I can't change anything. This is a corporate plan for thousands of us. My understanding is it is based on that International Plan. However, you can still wind up on carriers that are not AT&T partners. And even if a carrier is a partner with AT&T in one country, that same carrier may not ba a partner in another. I've seen this all over South America. Claro, Movistar & Personal are in several countries. But the roaming agreements vary by country. So if you connect to a carrier that is not a partner in the country you are visiting, you can wind up with some significant data charges.

You just need to look before you travel to make sure you are on a carrier that has an agreement with AT&T in the specific country you are visiting.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
MiamiBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Good tip, yes, checking the list of operators in the country you will be visiting that are ATT partners is a good idea, then switch network selection settings to Manual and select one of the partner operators.
Closed Thread