Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
LCC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default WiFi Question

Please Login to Remove!

If I have WiFi and Mobile network turned on, which connection will data use?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

Are currently connected to a wifi network, or is the wifi merely turned on?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:22 AM   #3
LCC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrider78 View Post
Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

Are currently connected to a wifi network, or is the wifi merely turned on?
Connected to network.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
tag824
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Question

I had a related question regarding this too. My coworker has a t-mobile BB and he has an option my at&t Bold does not under Options, Mobile Network. It has a preferred order where my Bold does not. I turned off my "Mobile Network" and was unable to receive any emails from our BES while connected to our wi-fi. He however did the same and was able to get emails. Anyone know what's going on?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:10 AM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

TMobile devices are different as they have UMA. UMA means data AND phone/sms are going over wifi. ATT doesn't have this capability.

On ATT devices if the wifi logo is bold then data is going over wifi and phone/sms is over EDGE.

If the device is connected to wifi (bold wifi logo,) the wifi connection should take precedence. If you're concerned, you can turn off the mobile network.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 AM   #6
LCC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
TMobile devices are different as they have UMA. UMA means data AND phone/sms are going over wifi. ATT doesn't have this capability.

On ATT devices if the wifi logo is bold then data is going over wifi and phone/sms is over EDGE.

If the device is connected to wifi (bold wifi logo,) the wifi connection should take precedence. If you're concerned, you can turn off the mobile network.
Thank you. I am not concerned, just curious. I am on AT&T and hooked my bold up to my home network and was curious to see which took precedence. I was hoping that when WiFi was connected data would flow over it and calls and SMS would use the mobile network.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
oiink

Model: 8900
PIN: Lost
Carrier: WIND Italy
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC View Post
I was hoping that when WiFi was connected data would flow over it and calls and SMS would use the mobile network.
This is what happens here, in Italy, Wind Carrier, Bold 4.6.0.190 not branded. In the wi-fi options i have both this way of settings:

- mode: automatic or manual
- net precedence

The first option i belive is to choose how the phone manages connections, the second is to give priority to different wi-fi profiles.

When i enable Wi-Fi and connect to a wi-fi network the phone does all automatic and browsing, mail, bb messenger, msn, facebook and whatever uses IP goes over wi-fi. SMS, MMS and phone calls goes over mobile network.
If i switch off mobile network i'm still able to send/receive mails, use MSN, BB Messenger, Facebook and all the stuff that uses IP.

I have "automatic" setting and precedence set for my home wi-fi at first place and office wi-fi at second place.

Ciao,
Alex

Last edited by oiink; 11-26-2008 at 04:31 AM..
Old 11-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

I asked a similar question in this thread and was told that you need to specifically use the Hotspot Browser (vs. the Internet Browser) if both Wifi and the mobile network are active...my tests lead me to believe this was not the case and it sounds like from this thread it isn't. So my question is...what is the Hotspot Browser for?

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...t-browser.html
Old 11-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
bradster80

I am using Bold, OS 4.6.0.185, AT&T, connected to BES. Here is what I have found.

If you go to Manage Connections you have a choice in this screen for Services Status. This will tell you what operations in your Bold are using what services. It will show you Mobile Voice Connection to either Mobile Network or WiFi Network, it will show you the same for BIS and BES, as well as other connection information. This is the best way I know of to tell what is using what connection.

From what I have seen, the Hotspot Browser is used if you need to log on to a hotspot before going out to any Internet sites. If they require a username password setup. My company network is setup like this. I can connect to our WiFi service without any login, but before I am able to use any web browser to open up web sites I have to use the Hotspot Browser first which will pull up our login page. Once logged in then I can close this browser and go back to the Internet Browser and do anything I need to.

-Brad
Old 11-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradster80 View Post

From what I have seen, the Hotspot Browser is used if you need to log on to a hotspot before going out to any Internet sites. If they require a username password setup. My company network is setup like this. I can connect to our WiFi service without any login, but before I am able to use any web browser to open up web sites I have to use the Hotspot Browser first which will pull up our login page. Once logged in then I can close this browser and go back to the Internet Browser and do anything I need to.

-Brad
That makes sense. I asked the question from my original post in that *cough* other forum *cough* and someone said that if you don't have a data plan and just use Wifi for data you need to use the Hotspot Browser (not sure you will even see the Internet Browser if you don't have a data plan). But your explanation makes more sense.

I've only messed around w/ the Wifi on my home network and once I have my WEP password saved in the device it connects automatically. At that point it seems like I can use any of the browsers at Wifi speed?
Closed Thread