BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
20miles

Model: 8700c
Default BlackBerry Messenger Issues

Please Login to Remove!

Just picked up my Pearl on Wednesday, and even with a few bugs it tends to work great.

I've been having a problem with BBIM. I couldn't get anyone added or any conversations started, so I figured I'd uninstall it and start clean. After uninstalling it and running OTA setup, it successfully installs, but then does not show up in the program list. I've done this several times trying both OTA and desktop install.

Anyone experiencing a similar issue?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Krissy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100!
Carrier: Rogers

Have you rebooted the device after install? I didn't have this problem myself but who knows, a reboot might help
Old 12-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

If you downloaded it OTA then you downloaded the wrong version. You need the 4.2 version. There were some threads on here on how to get the 4.2 version back. You might search for the threads. Essentially you need to delete the 1.0.94 version (I think thats what it is) that you have downloaded OTA. You'll then need to plug it into the Desktop Manager, with the 8100 OS installed on the PC and run application loader. Then it will reload the 4.2 version that the Pearl needs.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
Krissy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100!
Carrier: Rogers

Good point John. 20 miles - you can also grab it from the device by going to mobile.blackberry.com
Old 12-08-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

That also downloads the wrong version. That is version 1.0.94. You need version 4.2. The 1.0.94 version will not work.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
20miles

Thanks John Clark. I noticed the difference in version numbers, but figured that blackberry would have put that version on the mobile site.

I'll try and hunt it down.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:09 PM   #7
jk55

Model: pearl
Default BBM 4.2 problem

I am also having problems with Blackberry Messenger on my new Pearl. I am unable to add contacts or invite anyone to a conversation. Most of my colleagues have Blackberrys, 7xxx's, 8700's, and one also has a Pearl. We've all been PIN'ing one another for years -- I have everyone's PIN in Outlook and synchronized with my Blackberry address book (along with multiple email address for everyone). If I try to add a contact from BBM, it asks which EMAIL address to use and there is no choice for adding by PIN. If I try to go to the contact in my address book and try to send the contact to BBM it displays an empty contact list. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know where to go th download the pearl OS?

Last edited by jk55; 12-09-2006 at 09:14 PM..
Old 12-09-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk55
I am also having problems with Blackberry Messenger on my new Pearl. I am unable to add contacts or invite anyone to a conversation. Most of my colleagues have Blackberrys, 7xxx's, 8700's, and one also has a Pearl. We've all been PIN'ing one another for years -- I have everyone's PIN in Outlook and synchronized with my Blackberry address book (along with multiple email address for everyone). If I try to add a contact from BBM, it asks which EMAIL address to use and there is no choice for adding by PIN. If I try to go to the contact in my address book and try to send the contact to BBM it displays an empty contact list. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know where to go th download the pearl OS?
When you are adding contacts go to add contact. Then highlight the name you want to add. Then press the menu button. You will see the option to use PIN. If you don't have the person in your address book you can scroll to "use once" and do the same thing. Highlight it and press the menu button. You will have the option of Email or PIN.

Welcome to the forums and hope this helps!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk55
...does anyone know where to go th download the pearl OS?
Go to the first post of the below link and click on "Telefonica Moviles" That is the link to the latest (best) version of the OS for the Pearl. If you are using the Cingular Pearl, that OS has not yet been released.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...downloads.html
Old 12-10-2006, 01:01 AM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20miles
Thanks John Clark. I noticed the difference in version numbers, but figured that blackberry would have put that version on the mobile site.

I'll try and hunt it down.
Ok...I extracted the .cod's from the 4.2.0 (.67) version of BBMessenger off my Pearl. Under Blackberry Messenger Properties under Applications it lists three modules associated with Blackberry Messenger:

1. net_rim_bbapi_blackberrymessenger
2. net_rim_bb_qm_peer
3. net_rim_bb_qm_peer_resource_en

Those are the modules I extracted. Does anybody know of any reason these won't reload back to another Pearl?

If not I have no reason to believe they won't work as I've done this with other games, etc. I don't have anywhere to host them but if you would like to try it, PM me with an email address and I'll email them to you.

You can load them directly from your 8100 software folder using JL_CMDR or I have them with .alx files for use with loading from Desktop Manager.

Last edited by John Clark; 12-10-2006 at 07:54 PM..
Old 12-10-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
20miles

For those interested,

With the help of the files John Clark describes above, I was able to get my messenger working again. Remove any previous version of the messenger, and install those files, problem solved.

Thanks again John Clark.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:22 PM   #12
jk55

Model: pearl
Default Pearl issues

Thanks John Clark for the info on how to add contacts by pin.

Unfortunately, I'm still having issues with my Cingular Pearl and think I have it narrowed down to my Pearl. I rounded up 1 cingular 8700 and 2 t-mobile 8700's and 2 cingular pearls including mine. I made sure BBM was loaded up and they all work fine except mine. There seems to be some sort of handshake problem because I noticed 2 things:
1) if I invite, the other unit receives the invite, then sends the acceptance which my pearl sees, but the other unit keeps me in "pending".
2) if the other unit invites, I receive the invite and accept, but the other unit doesn't receive the acceptance and keeps me in "pending".

I am thinking about reloading the Telephonica 4.2.0.67 OS which I've downloaded, but don't know how. I ran the .exe and then what? I would have thought that the OS would be visible in the Application Loader in the Desktop Manager but it is not.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff
Old 12-12-2006, 05:35 PM   #13
John Clark
BBF Moderator

*****delete the vendor.xml file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

Then run desktop manager again and you will get a prompt to update. You have to delete it each time you install new software (unless it's your carrier's release of the OS.)
Old 12-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #14
GoFrogs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&Tingular

I just got my 8100 (upgraded from my 8700). I had some initial invite problems (JohnClark - thanks for the menu key to get to the PIN invite, unfortunately I didn't read this until after I resolved). It seems if I invited the person 2 times, then they were able to show up. Weird.

I am planning on upgrading to the 8800 when it comes out and really wish there was a way to transfer your BBM contacts over. Anybody know if this is possible? This has been a pain to get everyone added back on, plus all the people who have to respond to my request to be added AGAIN. Big waste of everyone's time if your contact list is long.
Closed Thread