Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:21 AM   #1
Matrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Fido
Default -- Installing New Os, Qs --

Please Login to Remove!

I have a unlocked T-Mobile pearl and i was wondering if in installing a new firmware will lock my phone to T-mobile or any other provider of who's firmware I install. Firstofall I don't even know where to find the firmware download (link please) and how do I know which one i know which one i need. The phone came with 4.2.0.64 fw if ths can help you. I want to upgrade so i can turn off that annoying light detector that adjusts screen brightness. Tnx if anyone can answer some of theses questions i would greatly appreciate it
Old 07-10-2007, 01:36 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Installing an OS will not relock the phone. There is nothing you can do to lock the phone again.

Look in a sticky at the top of this 8100 forum for the latest OS. A sticky is a thread that says "Attention" in big red letters. There are instructions in the first post.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:41 AM   #3
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Like John said, do a search and there's lots of info on how to install a new OS.

Make sure to follow the directions carefully.

And if you are referring to getting the "autodim off" option back, make sure the OS that you install will do that.

Bonus Comment: From all the posts I have seen over time, if you screw up the install I believe you can start all over again. In other words, it's near impossible to fry the system. This is because when performing an install you are basically wiping the chip clean and putting the OS back on to the chip.

Bonus Comment: John Clark is the resident expert on installing an OS [not sure how that happened]. Look for his posts [and his avatar, a plane going down in flames] and do what he says.
Closed Thread