BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default 750 contacts - Only 60 of them being read/synched? (PM & MS)

Please Login to Remove!

so i have 750 contacts but only 60 of them are being read/synched. I'm wondering why this is happening or what is causing the improper reading? I tried using missing sync and then even uninstalled and installed pocketmac so I can use the "Overwrite mac" feature to make sure I can check for hiccups. I've gone back to using my dreaded iPhone 3G for the time being but am pretty disgusted that I have to go that route. I really want my Blackberry BOLD to sync with my macbook. Any ideas? (I got a brand new hard drive in my macbook recently so my address book was empty and was trying to sync the 760 contacts from the bold to the address book).
Old 10-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
galavanter
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A

I am having an identical problem with MS. I try to overwrite the BB with desktop and still many contacts don't sync. I have been using MS for almost a year without any serious problems.

I upgraded to 4.5 a few days ago. Have you done the same recently? I may try Pocketmac again, since I read there has been an upgrade since my last failed attempts to use it successfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialekt View Post
so i have 750 contacts but only 60 of them are being read/synched. I'm wondering why this is happening or what is causing the improper reading? I tried using missing sync and then even uninstalled and installed pocketmac so I can use the "Overwrite mac" feature to make sure I can check for hiccups. I've gone back to using my dreaded iPhone 3G for the time being but am pretty disgusted that I have to go that route. I really want my Blackberry BOLD to sync with my macbook. Any ideas? (I got a brand new hard drive in my macbook recently so my address book was empty and was trying to sync the 760 contacts from the bold to the address book).
Old 10-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c

Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
I am having an identical problem with MS. I try to overwrite the BB with desktop and still many contacts don't sync. I have been using MS for almost a year without any serious problems.

I upgraded to 4.5 a few days ago. Have you done the same recently? I may try Pocketmac again, since I read there has been an upgrade since my last failed attempts to use it successfully.
I'm on the BOLD..which is 4.6 ... but I have a curve on the side which is upgraded to 4.5 and experience similar issues. We really need a solid mac solution without hiccups because losing certain contacts is a no go/dealbreaker for me right now.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
jonsam

Model: BOLD
Carrier: Rogers

I have loads of problems with both PocketMac and MissingSync. Both keep telling me I have deletion detected (when there are none) - and even happens after a fresh wipe and overwrite (wiping using Windows Desktop manager or PocketMac Purge) .... and if I click accept - it wipes out 3/4 of my contacts and calendar. I even created a new calendar, deleted the old and re-entered my information. I'm not prepared to do that for my contacts (750+)
Crazy that no reliable sync'ing for the Mac - Blackberry.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
galavanter

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A

For the moment it seems my problems with missing sync are solved. First I followed the instructions in this thread, second post. I had given Pocketmac a try with no success.

supportforums dot blackberry dot com user RonAnnArbor posted the info below. I am not permitted to post a link:
__________________________________________________ ______________

First, your phone has nothing to do with it --

BUT PocketMac does not fully work with the Bold at this time, so stop using it.

the problem here is the software -- Pocket Mac and Missing Sync are incompatible, and ruined your sync files.

Deleting Pocket mac alone was insufficient to fix your sync issues. The only thing you can do to fix your sync issues now is a wipe and resync.

First -- on your Mac, make sure everything related to Pocket Mac is gone -- and make sure that your calendars and contacts are all correct.

Next, reboot your mac.

Now, after your mbp reboots go into your iSync (found in your applications) and in the options do the RESET SYNC HISTORY -- you won't lose anything, but it will reset all your sync settings as if it was new.

WHile this is a pain, and will require you to re-install any 3rd party apps or settings you have changed on your blackberry (including email settings) you should WIPE YOUR DATA off of the Blackberry Bold. That's under options.

After your Bold has completely reset and you are ready to sync do not connect anything. Open your Missing Sync and make sure nothing is checked except calendar, tasks, and contacts. You can go back and do files and music later if you want.

Open the settings for each of these, and make sure you check "Desktop overwrites device on next sync only" for all three of them.

NOW connect and resync.

You might need to go through the resync process two times -- each time, make sure the "desktop overwrites" option is checked for that sync only. (it automatically resets to the default Synchronize if you go through the sync process).

You should find that your calendars, tasks, and contacts are all back now, and sync properly. I can attest to this from personal experience wiping and resyncing two of my employees Bolds during the past several weeks. In each case, the only thing that fixed it was the wipe data and resync option.

Sadly, RIM has never natively supported the Mac -- but I understand that they will finally be doing so in January 2009 with native mac sync software directly from RIM. It's about time, thought won't help you in this case without fiddling a bit.

__________________________________________________ _____________

I managed to sync ALL the calender and contacts with no duplicate entries, a recurring problem I had with PM. This was only after I deleted all photos from my address contacts, and completely deleted the ME card from my address book. Apple has a glitch whereby one can't delete the photo from the ME card once one has been added. It kept crashing missing sync, the log saying the file was too large.

I was then good to go running 4.5.0.81 on my Curve. Unfortunately, I experienced the same black screen shutdown (3 times) many other users had reported the first night I used it at work. For me this meant using Mapquest Navigator, and playing with Vlingo as a new user. Vlingo gives an explicit warning about not being tested with 4.5, and the possibility of problems being encountered. Others experiencing the shutdown problem with 4.5 have mentioned using Vlingo (a great program) too.

So when 4.5.0.93 became available on the net I upgraded to that. Missing sync then worked flawlessly (so far), but again without any photos in the address book (this problem has been documented by others in the past, dialekt could be an issue for you too).

Tomorrow night at work I wil see if I experience the shutdown problem again with 93. I am hoping this release was to correct this specific problem. Vlingo could have been the problem as well.

Any more problems and I am going bact to T-mos 4.2 and be done with it. This has taken up far too much of my time.

I won't even go into my other issues with bootcamp when trying to erase a partition to create a new larger one. I am now a very happy vmware user without a bootcamp partition.

Last edited by galavanter; 10-09-2008 at 11:02 PM..
Closed Thread