BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: 268B3F92
Carrier: at&t
Question Zen Theme causing Network Issues??

Please Login to Remove!

I suppose the subject is a bit misleading...here comes the explanation.

I am using the 7130e with Sprint. My house is a a very poor to fair signal area with Sprint. I often will lose signal for very brief instances, no matter which phone I am using.

When I am using the Zen theme I seem to notice that my BB often loses data connectivity. No emails, no internet, no anything other than SMS and voice. The phone shows as though it is connected to the data service (EVDO) but whenever I attempt to browse the web or use a messenger app I get nothing.

If I pull the battery the problem is resolved, usually accompanied by a flood of emails that had been waiting to be delivered.

While I lose signal with any theme installed, it seems the Zen is the only one that requires me to pull the battery to restore data services. On Sunday I had to do this over 10 times. On Monday I switched to another theme, and I have not had to perform a single hard reset to this point. I also never have issues with the Zen theme while at work, which happens to be in a very good signal area.

My question is...does anyone think that it is possible that the slower speed of the theme (well documented lag times) is straining the processor and rendering my device unable to reaquire a usable data connection? Any other suggestions for this issue? It definitely seems theme related at this point, though I suppose that may not be the case at all.

Also, has anyone else noticed this problem?
Old 09-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

I use the Zen theme exclusively on my 7100t. Although I have never had the problem that you descirbe, I have found that it will drain my available free file space from time to time. I ususally remove the battery to reboot around once a month to restore some of these resources. I check this periodically by viewing Oprions>Status> File Free.

Not a direct answer to your question, but could be related...
Old 09-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: 268B3F92
Carrier: at&t

I forgot to mention that this has happened on two different devices (I had one replaced), so I doubt it is a simple "defective handset" issue.