BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
semmel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Smile Data Connection Refused - possible Solution!

Please Login to Remove!

If you installed the newer software for the 7250 (software 4.0.2) that gives you fast EVDO network access and tethering (i.e. using the blackberry as a modem), then you might experience occasional Data Connection Refused errors (short: DCR).

Here is a list of "regular" solutions that work under normal circumstances to get your Blackberry back on data connection. I had a situation where neither of these worked, and after 2h with Verizon techs we figured this one out, too. My main symptom was that when entering the ##000000 menu, there used to be three big blocks of entries when everything worked, but one of them had vanished - only two remained, and I got the DCR errors.

Regular fixes:
-Turn Wireless Off for a few seconds and back on. This sometimes does the trick.
-Go into Phone mode and enter ##000000 as a number, hit the wheel and select CALL ##000000 which opens an option screen. This option screen should have three big blocks of settings divided by horizontal lines. If you have all three, then at the end of the middle block you should have an entry SIP PASSWORD which you need to set to "vzw" (without quotation marks). Using the Wheel to select SAVE will reset the Blackberry which will take a few minutes with the new software, but this usually does the trick.

Other possible fixes:
-In Phone mode dial *228 and choose option 1 to reactivate the phone.
-I am not sure if this is the same or not, but you can also try dialing *22899 to do the same (I think). In any case it is another possible fix.

If you only have two major blocks of settings in the ##000000 windows, this is the most likely fix:
-You need to have VZAccess installed. Hook up the Blackberry with this computer and start VZAccess. Hit CTRL+T to open a terminal window which allows you to directly enter modem commands to the Blackberry.
To test if something is wrong there, enter
Code:
at$qcmip?
with the question mark. It should give the answer 1 back if everything was OK. If it is not 1, then enter
Code:
at$qcmip=1
I don't remember if I had to reset the device or not - it will probably tell you.
So go back into Phone Mode and dial ##000000 and check if all three blocks of settings are back. If not, reboot the device either by entering the vzw password in SIP PASSWORD again, or press and hold + + for a second to reboot (faster).

This worked for me. Maybe it will help others too. Please let me and everyone else know if that did it for you, too. I had this symptom come up after exiting and EVDO area and going into an area that just had roaming, and the problem started immediately. Could be coincidence, but that's all I know so far.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
dschnepp

Model: 8310
PIN: 24738FD7
Carrier: AT&T

I got the data connectin refused this morning. I have entered these settings. will post if anything stops working.

Dan
Old 04-27-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
mrfantasy

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Default Not quite

I have recently upgraded my Verizon 7250 to the 4.0.2 firmware for EVDO, and it mostly works, but I still get the occasional "Data connection refused" error. I have reset the passwords in the ##000000 screen, registered the Host Routing Table entry, and done lots of *228 option 1, option 2, and *22899.

However, it seems to happen in areas of marginal signal strength. My office is in a basement and is very spotty, and I have problems there. At home it didn't do this at all overnight (at least as far as I know.) So that seems to be part of th issue as well.

It's been charging on my desk for the last hour, and it was first saying "Data connection refused" and now it's getting 3 bars of signal and reporting 1XEV. I didn't touch it at all.

I'm hoping this is actually a firmware-related issue and the DCR error is not from the network but from the device, somehow. When's the 4.1 firmware coming . I don't relish calling Verizon tech support who will most likely tell me to wipe and reload the device.

Last edited by mrfantasy; 04-27-2006 at 10:15 AM..
Closed Thread