BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
fungusmud
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Lightbulb THE Ramble thread, free AIM for BB. Updated 05/16/05, 0.9.6.2 RELEASED ON 05/16/05

Please Login to Remove!

Posting #1:
Hello everyone. In an attempt make Ramble as much “open source” like as possible, without releasing the open source, myself and the Ramble developers are opening the floor to suggestions and bug reports while keeping the community up to date on the current feature list, release notes and build status.

Here is how we will do this:

This thread will always have the first 3 postings kept up to date. Myself and the Ramble developers will monitor the thread, scanning for feature requests and bug reports, process them and update postings #2 and #3. Between the subject and postings, you should be able to determine the current state. The subject and postings will be laid out as follows:

The subject: “THE” Ramble thread. Updated: 05/11/05, Released:
Posting #1 – this posting. Lays out the structure of the thread.
Posting #2 – Current release status and release notes. This will list the current release version, any available beta versions for testing, where they are located and known bugs for each.
Posting #3 – Feature request list with next-release items noted and rejected feature requests. This hopefully will minimize duplicate requests.

We’ll also post a separate reply in the thread whenever we update the above items, and what was changed.

If you are going to make a bug report, or ask a question in the thread, please post what version of Ramble you are using.

Please let us know if you have any suggestions as to how we can make this project, or the documentation/tracking of it better.

I'll hopefully get around to fixing the formatting on these items in the next day or two. The forum munged my original tabs and indents.

Cheers,
--Dan

Last edited by fungusmud; 05-16-2005 at 11:58 AM..
Old 05-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
fungusmud

Lightbulb Release information - Updated 05/16/05

Posting #2:

Current version available at: http://wireless.sra.com/ramble

Current Release: 0.9.6.2 Released on 05/16/05.

0.9.6.2 RELEASE NOTES - Released on 05/16/05
Removed low signal indicator
Screennames are normalized prior to login
0.9.5.3 KNOWN ISSUES:
Unknown Exceptions can lead to silent disconnect of client.
Users can only 'Add This Buddy' from Online Buddies List.
Round-Robin Host Searching Spawns multiple read threads.
Public chat message notification queues and can continue after leaving a chat session
Auto away in holster occurs anytime idle regardless of the auto and idle in holster option. Should mark away in holster if option denotes it.
Get budy info maybe inaccurate. Workaround: try several times. The is due to the AIM system returning a user info, but the lookup possibly trying a different server.
As the chat history grows, activities regarding that chat session begin to slow down. Workaround: Clear the conversation, exit the conversation and re-enter it.
Clear conversation requires a window close and re-open to realize results
0.9.5.3 RELEASE NOTES - Released on 05/11/05
Direct TCP Connectivity is now available for devices without MDS server.
Public Chat Room Capabilities
Color Coded Conversations
Buddy List® Modifications (Add and Delete) Fixed!
Auto-Login
Skip to buddy with Key-Press
0.9.5.3 KNOWN ISSUES:
Unknown Exceptions can lead to silent disconnect of client.
Users can only 'Add This Buddy' from Online Buddies List.
Round-Robin Host Searching Spawns multiple read threads.
Public chat message notification queues and can continue after leaving a chat session
Auto away in holster occurs anytime idle regardless of the auto and idle in holster option. Should mark away in holster if option denotes it.
Get budy info maybe inaccurate. Workaround: try several times. The is due to the AIM system returning a user info, but the lookup possibly trying a different server.
As the chat history grows, activities regarding that chat session begin to slow down. Workaround: Clear the conversation, exit the conversation and re-enter it.
Clear conversation requires a window close and re-open to realize results

0.8.3.5 RELEASE NOTES – Released on 04/20/05
No release notes available. Release notes will begin with 0.9.5.3
0.8.3.5 KNOWN ISSUES:
Notification does not work properly. Notification only works if you are in the active chat window, for that chat window.

Last edited by fungusmud; 05-16-2005 at 11:59 AM..
Old 05-11-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
fungusmud

Lightbulb Feature status

Posting #3:

Feature Request list:

• Option to allow your AIM user to be logged in multiple places (might not be added due to AIM limitation)

• Change away/idle settings to the following:
Set idle in x minutes
Set away in x minutes
Set idle and away when in holster (exists)
• If you are in a chat window and a message comes in for another buddy, It should beep (see notification section). The popup should probably not occur as it prevents typing and does not queue. Consider information in the title bar (see suggestion in notification section below).

• On the top of the buddy list screen and each chat window, have an indicator that states total number of buddies that have unread messages. The idea is so you can see how many other people have sent you IM’s.

• Put the buddies that have messages waiting on the top of the online list. Put a counter in each group header that states # of buddies that have unread messages. Sort the rest of the buddies somehow (alphabetically)

• Allow the user to press the first letter of a buddyname and jump to their name.

• Option to notify user upon login of a "tagged" buddy. Notify as per new IM message settings (i.e. popup, title bar, sound..) User in buddylist should be annotated that they are set for alert on signon.

Notify:
• For each, in and out of holster settings. Recommend to use the existing profile BB system:
Buddy login/logout settings
Foreground chat window new message settings
Background chat window new message settings
Option on what to do on new message (dropdown selection of the following):
Popup selection all the time
Popup selection not when in any chat window,
All the time go directly to chat window
Go directly to chat window when not in any other chat window
Do nothing except the notification sounds.
• Option to consider active, foreground buddy window “background” after x minutes (this allows beeping if the chat has been idle for x minutes, but in a real-time chat, no constant beeping)
• If title bar status (# of waiting buddies) is employed, consider that the need to popup a notice on new message when in another chat window is not necessary. Possibly add the first few characters of the buddy that sent the new message (excluding msgs to the one you are actively chatting with) in the title bar. Flash title bar on arrival??
• Flash led whenever messages are waiting option.
• Maybe a “repeat” notification setting. In the Ramble settings – something along the lines “As long as messages are waiting, trigger the background notification once every x (user setting) minutes”.
• Extend the above to having a popup notification every x minutes that a message is waiting. Users could for example: enable sounds, disable the immediate popup and fallback to some popup reminder/sound if I missed the auditable/vibrate.
• Publish your 2 .mid files are ringtones so users can select a very short beep and blip for notifications out of the standard profile/ringtone list. I personally like a quick blip, but miss it often, but that would be fixed by the above recommendation of repeat notification.
• Keep the mute option – maybe make a note in the header window of all windows (chat/buddy) that you are muted)

IDLE/Away settings:

REJECTED REQUESTS:

Last edited by fungusmud; 05-16-2005 at 12:00 PM..
Old 05-11-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
Rambler
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7750
Carrier: AT&T

Please provide feedback and suggestions so that Ramble IM can continue improving.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
EGottlieb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone UK

According to the version under Options->Applications, I am running 0.9.5.3, but I still get the IPPP error message. In Options->SRA Ramble, there is no option to switch "Network Settings" or whatever.

I am on T-Mobile with no BES.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
briandor

Model: 7100t

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGottlieb
According to the version under Options->Applications, I am running 0.9.5.3, but I still get the IPPP error message. In Options->SRA Ramble, there is no option to switch "Network Settings" or whatever.

I am on T-Mobile with no BES.
I have the same problem. I am also on T-Mobile and do have TCP configured.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #7
BGCapt10

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Same problem, Verizon 7250 with no BES.

I also verified the version number in my download and Options->Applications.

-David
Old 05-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
bhaputi

Model: 7520
Default Me too

7520 on Nextel - still getting the IPP error, and no option to set network connection
Old 05-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
Rambler

Open 'Options -> Applications' and make sure Ramble is only listed once. If it is listed more than once, delete all entries, download again and re-install.

If your options don't have a Network Connection field, you aren't running 0.9.5.3.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #10
briandor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler
Open 'Options -> Applications' and make sure Ramble is only listed once. If it is listed more than once, delete all entries, download again and re-install.

If your options don't have a Network Connection field, you aren't running 0.9.5.3.
Did that. Its only listed once and the version is 0.9.5.3. I'll try uninstalling it and reinstalling.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:01 PM   #11
Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandor
Did that. Its only listed once and the version is 0.9.5.3. I'll try uninstalling it and reinstalling.
Please post your results. The version I have running on my Verizon 7750 came from the download link, so it should be there!
Old 05-11-2005, 02:03 PM   #12
briandor

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandor
When I listed the modules the module version was still 0.8.5.3.

EDIT: Deleted the module and reinstalled and everything is working now. Apparently the module is left behind on the previous versions application removal. You have to list the modules and delete the module itself.

Last edited by briandor; 05-11-2005 at 02:10 PM..
Old 05-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #13
bhaputi

Model: 7520

Quote:

Already done that, it shows only one Ramble, and it says version 0.9.5.3, but no Network Connection Field. I have removed it, rebooted, verified that no Ramble shows under Applications, reinstalled it, and now it seems to work. Great!
Old 05-11-2005, 02:08 PM   #14
Rambler

Sounds like the install procedure should be:

Try this:
1. Remove all versions of Ramble from Options -> Applications.
2. Reboot.
3. Follow the Ramble IM link that was sent to you for download
4. Press the 'r' key on the download page to refresh that page
5. Download the updated software (version 0.9.5.3)
6. Configure Network Connection in Options -> SRA Ramble (if necessary)
Old 05-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #15
fungusmud

I have tested on a Verizon 7250 and it works. If the application screen states .0.9.5.3, then in the Options -> SRA Ramble screen there will be a network option. Try changing that. You may have to scroll down in the SRA Ramble options screen to see the network option.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:11 PM   #16
bb4lfe
Thumbs Must Hurt

works now for me. Thanks R!
Old 05-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #17
keithc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve

I can't get it to work. If I use the MDS TCP is goes to Connecting, then says Reconnecting, please wait. It just hangs there, waited 20 min so far. If I use the Device TCP, if fails saying I can;t have a connection both inside and outside the firewall because it is against IT policy. Am I SOL?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:24 PM   #18
BGCapt10

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Quote:
Sounds like the install procedure should be:

Try this:
1. Remove all versions of Ramble from Options -> Applications.
2. Reboot.
3. Follow the Ramble IM link that was sent to you for download
4. Press the 'r' key on the download page to refresh that page
5. Download the updated software (version 0.9.5.3)
6. Configure Network Connection in Options -> SRA Ramble (if necessary)
You also need to remove the Ramble module from Options -> Applications -> Modules, this is persistant after removing just the application. After doing this mine works fine.

-David
Old 05-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #19
tateu

Model: 9000

Yep, it was still running the old version. The applications screen said it loaded the new one, but the modules screen said it was v 0.8.3.5. Deleted the module, said it was in use and would delete when it rebooted. When it rebooted I reinstalled the new version. Everything is working fine on my Verizon 7250 without BES, thanks.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #20
briandor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCapt10
You also need to remove the Ramble module from Options -> Applications -> Modules, this is persistant after removing just the application. After doing this mine works fine.

-David
Looks promising. Low signal warning has to go though. Seems to pop up way too often. I would much prefer they get rid of the warning all together and make the signal bar in the upper right corner more visible so that I can determine for myself that I have a low signal.

Now if this could turn into a unified messenger I would be really happy. I've got 4 different messengers on my Blackberry now because they each seem to have their shortcomings.
Closed Thread