BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 02:56 PM   #21
Skive
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsalzer
Has anyone heard about any manufacturers of wireless headets that will fit the 7100t?
I have seen headsets from jabra and plantronics working fine with it.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:55 PM   #22
bollar

Model: 8800
Carrier: Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrye
Looks like the new 7100 will have an embedded wireless modem in it.
All BB devices have an "embedded wireless modem" -- just look at the side of the box your current BB came in. But this doesn't mean that you'll be able to connect the embedded wireless modem to an external device.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:37 AM   #23
cyberhh
Thumbs Must Hurt

The problem is the BlackBerry is designed as an enterprise device and as such they need to maintain the security of the device as required by their enterprise customers, thus - no un-secure bluetooth support. I too would like to have full bluetooth support, but am a corporate network admin and that would be a security risk.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:48 AM   #24
iRoninTMO
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Look people, I love Blackberry just as much as the next person, but to be perfectly honest, there are a LOT of Bluetooth enterprise devices. We sell several at our store. Now I suppose I'll play along with RIM as the Jesus of the Enterprise and say that they're playing with much higher and mightier stakes than Palm, HP, Nokia, Ericsson, all put together. I'll also go along and say that, even in the face of the upcoming launches of 4.0 BWC, the upcoming BWC rebranding, and the more phone-like form factor of the 7100t (which makes it less of an enterprise device and more of a prosumer device), and the upcoming price breaks on T-Mobile's Blackberry Web Client Only (don't ask me how we are accomplishing this little nouget, but rest assured I'm told that for 20 bucks a month you get full html browsing and full BWC access, but no BES...), I'll go along and say in the face of all this RIM's still primarily targeting their enterprise markets. Now that I've granted every major concession against all the arguments I've levied at this particular subject, I still am left with this:
USER FREAKING OPTION! Put an additional switch underneath the battery to enable the additonal bluetooth profiles. I mean for the love of christ, the Bluetooth headset is one of the most HIDEOUS vanity items in the world (I of course, own two) but it's almost an additional $200 to prevent a SINGLE wire from running down your shirt.... On the other hand, the Bluetooth SIG has done a wonderful job of promoting a wide array of products with a wide array of features. For those of you unfamiliar with the power of the Blue-side of the force, go check out salling clicker. I guarantee you, a Bluetooth enabled BB that would with this software would put almost every other presentation remote out of business. What about proximity alerts? RFID? Simply sending your BB Business Card to a room full of people you've just met. Of course, use your phone to access the internet from your laptop.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a dream... I've been on the Bluetooth bandwagon for years. I've been using Apple products and from the minute they added Bluetooth support I've owned only Bluetooth phones. If you're unfamiliar with what you're ACTUALLY losing I recommend taking a look at some great software that has been developed for Bluetooth, like the Salling Clicker. I'm convinced that the reason that everyone has lined up behind RIM on this one because there's not enough out there DRIVING Bluetooth. Telematics and Headsets, that's it. I see it everyday. No one recognizes the potential of a BT enabled coffee machine, because everyone's too wrapped up in their damn HS810. If you're interested in Bluetooth check out http://www.bluetooth.com it's the website maintained by the Bluetooth Special Interest Group. Check out Salling Clicker. If you're unaware what I'm talking about consider this, Bluetooth is a short-range, high-bandwidth, low latency that has the power to unite an entire home theater system, with only power cables running from behind it. It's a powerful technology, and I for one am MAD AS HELL that RIM and others (Motorola, don't think I'm not looking at you! You too Sharp!) are stunting its growth.

Of course, that's just my opinion I could be wrong.

(My apologies for the Rant, I'm always open to some good ole fashioned intellectual discourse, and if you disagree with me, feel free to say so, I'd love to discuss this further, right before I hurt you ;) )
Old 09-29-2004, 01:14 PM   #25
Skive

Err, they aren't stunting its growth, they are simply allowing it to grow naturally on their products, they just get headsets working in this initial release that clearly had a strict deadline to meet and then they have a lot more time to go through the required testing and certification processes for other products that add other functionality.

While security will be their main consideration, you shouldn't overlook the equally likely issue that they simply didn't have time to get other bluetooth features working without it negatively impacting the bluetooth feature that was considered to be most important.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:02 PM   #26
pvr2pvr

Default hardware or software?

I am sure it is a security issue, but the question "is it hardware or a software?"

If it is a software issue, and later versions can support full bluetooth functionality, then i will keep it. when they release the software i will upgrade.

if the fix is with the hardware, i am pretty sure that they will not give free, i will return the BB and buy when they upgrade the phone. I will get Nokia 6600 for now!!

Does any one have info, if it is a software upgrade or hardware?????
Old 10-13-2004, 09:33 PM   #27
Belfast
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I have been able to pair my 7100t with my laptop, but the phone knows not what to do with it (no profile). I would imagine it would be easy to add this feature in the future.

I am hopping on the band-wagon that BB is trying to "get it right" before giving it to us.
Closed Thread