BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:50 AM   #1
Burrel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: PIN?
Carrier: 02
Default I've lost so many things and have so many problems! I'M BEGGING for your help!

Please Login to Remove!

Guys, I've messed up bad - real bad I think, and it doesn't seem like I'll be able to rectify my mistake. I'm hoping you guys will tell me I'm wrong though!

Basically I haven't been able to open attachments in e-mails recently (mainly jpegs), even though I could before in the 2 months I've had the phone. I suspect it might have been following an update I done with my BB via the BB desktop programme. I called 02 and they said I would need to uninstall the BB Attachment Service and reinstall it again - then that should sort the problem. Only it didn't, and after installing it again I could not even get the option in my menu to try and open any attachments.
So, and here's where things got majorly wrong, I decided to do a restore "thinking" that it would just put the applications on there that were on at the date of the saved restore. I went back to March but then noticed I had lost everything pretty much. So then I done another restore for the other file that was on my laptop, for April.
Doing this has left me with the following problems. I'm hoping I won't discover anymore.
  • Lost and very important text messages
  • Lost and very important e-mails
  • Having the option to open attachments in e-mails, but still not actually being able to open them. It just times out after a while. **This was the route of the problem that I was trying to resolve which has resulted in all of this!**
  • I cleaned up my hotmail account on my laptop last night, but then when I checked my BB all the messages are still there which I've already deleted on my laptop. Before if I deleted an e-mail from hotmail on my laptop, it would also do the same on my BB. Not now though. Not happy!
  • I am receiving e-mails now but the new ones are not being shown on the same account as before. It's hard to explain this one, but basically on my BB screen I have 3 envelopes, 1 'messages' , 2 ' ……@02email.co.uk' and 3 '………..@hotmail.com'. When I had a new e-mail before it would indicate on number 1 and 3, but now it is just indicating on 1 - even though the mail still seems to be in 3 as well. Just thought this might be another reason why everything has gone a bit tits up!
  • The layout on my BB menu is now different, and although I can't tell you what, it seems like an icon is missing, as things definitely aren't how I remembered them layout wise, and I've never rearranged them previously.
  • I have lost so many important notes I had made in my memo pad in applications, all of which is information I can never get back again. So I feel like crying when I think I've lost it all for good.

Please please please Is there any way I can rectify all of this and be partially happy again!?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Last edited by Burrel; 05-07-2009 at 03:54 AM..
Old 05-07-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

Before you restored the device from your "March file", did you backup your device again??? Or do you only have the two backup files (march and april)???
Old 05-07-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
Burrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrider78 View Post
Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

Before you restored the device from your "March file", did you backup your device again??? Or do you only have the two backup files (march and april)???
I wasn't given the option to back-up again, and foolishly I never thought to before I done the restore, so no, all I can see is the March and April files.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Had you sync'ed with outlook/gmail/yahoo/etc at all???
Old 05-07-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrel View Post
  • Before if I deleted an e-mail from hotmail on my laptop, it would also do the same on my BB. Not now though. Not happy!
Messages > Options > Email Reconciliation: Set EACH of your message account to delete properly on handheld or server as you desire.

And to reisterate, do you sync to Outlook? You should have all your Memos there.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
Burrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrider78 View Post
Had you sync'ed with outlook/gmail/yahoo/etc at all???
I use hotmail so I'm not entirely sure if there is a sync option to use?
As mentioned in my first post I could delete e-mails from my hotmail account on my laptop and they would be removed on my BB, and vice versa. But now that's not even happening. It would be great if I could sync because then I'd have all the e-mails I need, which just my luck are the ones I've lost on my BB!
And then I've still got the problem with not being able to open my attachements, as well as the lost memo notes and sms's.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

Just curious. How much free memory did you have on the device? You may wish to try a 'selective restore" and see if that helps.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Burrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshift View Post
Just curious. How much free memory did you have on the device? You may wish to try a 'selective restore" and see if that helps.
I'm liking the sound of this! Even if it is a tiny bit of hope!

I have a 2gb memory card which has probably got 1.5 free, and I'd also have a fair bit of the phones memory, as I hadn't really added any extra apps.

If this sounds to you like it might be worth a try doing the "selective restore", based on my free memory, would you please mind directing me on how to do this?

Thank you very much.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Burrel

Guys please can't you help anymore, as 02 aren't very helpful and can't suggest anything which I haven't already tried. I haven't got a clue what to do, as I've shown by losing some important things, and I don't want to try anything else and make matters even worse!
I now accept that I've lost anything post my April backup file, but now I've still got the following problems which aren't helping me going forward:

Open up my attachments which I've been able to open before. I've uninstalled and re-installed BB Attachment Service, but still nothing. It just times out.

If I delete an e-mail on my bb then it still deletes it on my hotmail mailbox when I check on my laptop, but if I delete one on my laptop then it will not delete on my bb - when previously it would!

It also now appears that a few messages aren't coming through when others are.

**I've copy and pasted the 2 below**

I am receiving e-mails now but the new ones are not being shown on the same account as before. It's hard to explain this one, but basically on my BB screen I have 3 envelopes, 1 'messages' , 2 ' ……@02email.co.uk' and 3 '………..@hotmail.com'. When I had a new e-mail before it would indicate on number 1 and 3, but now it is just indicating on 1 - even though the mail still seems to be in 3 as well. Just thought this might be another reason why everything has gone a bit tits up!

The layout on my BB menu is now different, and although I can't tell you what, it seems like an icon is missing, as things definitely aren't how I remembered them layout wise, and I've never rearranged them previously.

Please!
Thank you.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Please help us help you, first, by reviewing and answering the questions posed above.

We'd like to help you--that's what we primarily do here, but the support you need is a two-way street.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
Burrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Please help us help you, first, by reviewing and answering the questions posed above.

We'd like to help you--that's what we primarily do here, but the support you need is a two-way street.
Yours is the only question I didn't answer, and I apologise for forgetting you.

My understanding of your advice "Messages > Options > Email Reconciliation: Set EACH of your message account to delete properly on handheld or server as you desire." is just to set whether when you delete an e-mail on your bb you delete it on handheld / mailbox & handheld / prompt. It's been set on prompt since I had it and it worked fine then. But my problem is when I delete hotmail e-mails on my laptop and it doesn't delete on my bb - like it used to.
I have changed the options on where it deletes in Email Reconciliation, just for peace of mind, and it's still the same. 'Wireless Reconcile' is on and 'On Conflicts' mailbox wins.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshift View Post
I'm liking the sound of this! Even if it is a tiny bit of hope!

I have a 2gb memory card which has probably got 1.5 free, and I'd also have a fair bit of the phones memory, as I hadn't really added any extra apps.

If this sounds to you like it might be worth a try doing the "selective restore", based on my free memory, would you please mind directing me on how to do this?

Thank you very much.
You were also asked how much free memory you have. This is free main memory. Go options > status and report back file free.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
Burrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted (8820)

You were also asked how much free memory you have. This is free main memory. Go options > status and report back file free.
Thanks; file free is "109580696 Bytes".
Old 05-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #14
Burrel

bump!
Old 05-12-2009, 06:24 AM   #15
Burrel

Another problem to add to the collection which I've just discovered. The 'get images' option in an e-mail is not functioning properly as well.

At least I had 2 months where everything worked fine
Old 05-12-2009, 06:34 AM   #16
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrel View Post
Another problem to add to the collection which I've just discovered. The 'get images' option in an e-mail is not functioning properly as well.
What is not functioning "properly". Is the Menu item not clickable? What happens when you click on "Get Images" in an emal in which images are present?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #17
Burrel

Quote:
What is not functioning "properly". Is the Menu item not clickable? What happens when you click on "Get Images" in an emal in which images are present?
When in an e-mail I click 'get images' the timer works as if it is trying to retrieve the image(s) but nothing ends up happening.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #18
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Let me tell what I see on mine at times after clicking Get Images, I scroll up or down the email quickly, and back, and normally the image appears. I see the data arrows in the upper right corner of the screen active, downloading the image.

Do you see that?

Next, I would recommend a powered-on-battery-pull-reboot.

Try it again.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #19
Burrel

Quote:
Let me tell what I see on mine at times after clicking Get Images, I scroll up or down the email quickly, and back, and normally the image appears. I see the data arrows in the upper right corner of the screen active, downloading the image.

Do you see that?

Next, I would recommend a powered-on-battery-pull-reboot.

Try it again.
I confirm that previously when I would click 'get images' that the data arrows move in the top right hand corner, as it still does currently, but this time nothing ends up appearing, where as previously the images would appear straight away. Just like when I delete an e-mail through hotmail on my laptop, the e-mail would be removed on my BB. But not now. Just like when I would 'download an attachment' and it would work, but now its not.

I have tried taking out the battery and putting it back in again, but I'm still getting the same problems
Old 05-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #20
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Ok, one at a time.

1- Attachments. Look at your device > Options > Advanced > Applications > scroll down and do you see "BlackBerry Attachment Service" listed?

2- Review the RIM Knowledge Base article linked here. I do not believe that Hotmail will reconcile your deletes from the Server to the device. If it did in the past, I can't speak to that.
View Document

3- I would suggest you delete your Service Books for this Hotmail account (or whichever it is that you are having Get Image issues with) at Options > Advanced > Service Books. Then open you personal email setup icon, or go to your carrier BIS site and delete that account completely, then recreate it, AND resend the Service Books again. Meanwhile, do a battery pull reboot on the handheld device to completely remove the deleted service books from the device.
How to add / delete email addresses - BlackBerryFAQ
How do I resend my service books? - BlackBerryFAQ
Closed Thread