BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 03:53 AM   #81
aaadams

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Angry Cingular - Must Pay for WAP Access

Please Login to Remove!

For months, I (like many others) have been going back and forth with Cingular over having the wap.cingular APN added to my account. For 9 months about once or twice a month it would be deleted from my account. I would call their CSRs and have it re-added. During that time, I never received any additional charges for usage.

Now in February apparently that has changed. Despite many calls, they now seem to be consistently saying that wap.cingular access is not included in the unlimited blackberry plan and I must add this Media Net Service to my account. I have called and e-mailed but I get the same response. I have added Media Net to my account but I know I will get billed extra. It just seems outrageous to have to now pay extra to capabilities I have enjoyed for 9 months.

Has anyone run into this? Are people still able to get wap.cingular re-added to their account without signing up for this Media Net Service? I called on 02/02 so I am looking for anyone who has called since then.

Does anyone know if T-Mobile has this same issue. What is their price structure? I am looking for unlimited data, wap access and unlimited international roaming. I am seriously looking at switching.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #82
gabeosx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

I am not a lawyer, but if you were able to access it for free and now they are saying that it costs extra, isn't that called "bait and switch" (which is illegal)?
Old 04-27-2006, 10:53 PM   #83
pengrus
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

So applications like

https://www.jiveslide.com/
and
piconews

will not work easily, right?
Old 04-27-2006, 10:59 PM   #84
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c

You should PM a member Katrina Niolet. She works for Suncom and can probably further explain the ins and outs of the TCP settings for you so that you dont run in to this issue again.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #85
kenmarc

Model: 8700C
Carrier: cingular
Thumbs up Hi Nick

Hi Nick<

After reading your post I am still in a cunfusion stage, I am currently using the 8700c with an UNLIMITED Internet package, I also pay 19.99 for 2500 Text messages, keep in mind that I am using the IM Plus prog for messengers, do I need to continue paying the 19.99 for 2500 Text messages or is this included in my plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick119
Great NEWS!

Ok for all you guys with the Cingular Unlimited Data Plan's on a non-BES, you DO NOT, i repeat you DO NOT need to pay extra for WAP Access if you do have the unlimited data plan! I finally got through with a great cingular employee, whom I explained my whole story too, and she agreed and took care of it and fixed everything up and cleared up any confusion. Just call up Cingular's Blackberry Dept. and see if you can get Lucy Patton to help you out, that was her name. She'll help you out with everything you need, she totally understands the situation. The number to call is ..866-490-2666.

Man am i relieved now that I don't have to pay extra for something I already have. One huge headache cleared from my life heh.

Any questions feel free to PIN me..

I also just got an email from her saying that these settings will also work with the blackberry access point:
GPRS APN: blackberry.net
WAP gateway ip: 66.209.11.61
WAP gateway port: 9203
Old 05-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #86
vap0r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaadams
For months, I (like many others) have been going back and forth with Cingular over having the wap.cingular APN added to my account. For 9 months about once or twice a month it would be deleted from my account. I would call their CSRs and have it re-added. During that time, I never received any additional charges for usage.

Now in February apparently that has changed. Despite many calls, they now seem to be consistently saying that wap.cingular access is not included in the unlimited blackberry plan and I must add this Media Net Service to my account. I have called and e-mailed but I get the same response. I have added Media Net to my account but I know I will get billed extra. It just seems outrageous to have to now pay extra to capabilities I have enjoyed for 9 months.

Has anyone run into this? Are people still able to get wap.cingular re-added to their account without signing up for this Media Net Service? I called on 02/02 so I am looking for anyone who has called since then.

Does anyone know if T-Mobile has this same issue. What is their price structure? I am looking for unlimited data, wap access and unlimited international roaming. I am seriously looking at switching.
i just got my 8700c through cingular obviously and ran into this problem right away.. i managed to get a nice lady on the phone after a million transfers.. she told me i MIGHT get charged.. after being real nice and asking questions I managed to get her to say "They tell us we have to advise that the wap.cingular option might charge you, you might get charged you might not, it has something to do with access points..." I dont know enough about the stuff so I'm just telling you what I was told.. i'm monitoring my data usage on the website but since its behind by a day or so I'm still not sure if I'm getting charged for things like irc and ssh.. aim.. etc.. I think it's pretty crazy that they can't say yes or no on this issue.. haha.. i mean i used to work at cingular so I know it really depends on who you talk to.. anyway I'll keep ya'll posted if it will help at all.. in the next couple of days.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:24 AM   #87
pengrus
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I was told that they configured from their end to have my account enabled with both wap.cingular and blackberry.net and he said through blackberry.net there won't be a charge. Should I check my bill every day online?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:58 PM   #88
sphereboy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

does Cingular provide WAP service, or not? Been with my 8100 for a few days now, and no WAP access. No MMS. No Ramble. Nothing. I'm calling tomorrow and asking for WAP access, but wanted to get an update on this situation.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:05 PM   #89
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

Yes they do. You need to make sure that they properly configured your account with a blackberry plan. Have you set your BIS? If yes, then go back in there and send the service books and also go to options, advanced, host routing table and select register now. One good source to get a quick fix is their forum where they have a live chat who are tech savy on BB's they will go over your account and will most likely be able to solve it while you are on line with them. Oh yes, fdo you see EDGE or GSM in caps, if not that would be a big issue for you and you would need to be in a diferent area where you will get those.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:08 PM   #90
sphereboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf1khal
and also go to options, advanced, host routing table and select register now.
i just did this, but i have a long list of numbers in the HRT list. Which one should i set Register Now too? or does it apply to all?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:10 PM   #91
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphereboy
i just did this, but i have a long list of numbers in the HRT list. Which one should i set Register Now too? or does it apply to all?
This applies for a fresh registration. Forget what you see in there.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #92
sphereboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf1khal
Yes they do. You need to make sure that they properly configured your account with a blackberry plan. Have you set your BIS? If yes, then go back in there and send the service books and also go to options, advanced, host routing table and select register now. One good source to get a quick fix is their forum where they have a live chat who are tech savy on BB's they will go over your account and will most likely be able to solve it while you are on line with them. Oh yes, fdo you see EDGE or GSM in caps, if not that would be a big issue for you and you would need to be in a diferent area where you will get those.
hf1khal:
Thank you for your reference to the Cingular Forums. After 5 minutes with a Chat Agent I have been able to resolve my problem. They went into my account and noticed that the account had not been "provisioned" correctly. He instructed me to try to send an MMS message, or access MediaNet and I was able to. I even was able to get Ramble working now. Thanks again, and as they say, "Knowledge is Power, and on these forums we all get Power"! It seems i'm at 100% now with my account. I was not happy knowing i was supposed to have a feature set and it wasn't working. Now i can send my photos via MMS! without MediaNet subscription. YES!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #93
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphereboy
hf1khal:
Thank you for your reference to the Cingular Forums. After 5 minutes with a Chat Agent I have been able to resolve my problem. They went into my account and noticed that the account had not been "provisioned" correctly. He instructed me to try to send an MMS message, or access MediaNet and I was able to. I even was able to get Ramble working now. Thanks again, and as they say, "Knowledge is Power, and on these forums we all get Power"! It seems i'm at 100% now with my account. I was not happy knowing i was supposed to have a feature set and it wasn't working. Now i can send my photos via MMS! without MediaNet subscription. YES!
Excelent. I am glad they helped you. Luckily I am a memeber there too under the user id of sheik hf1.

Last edited by hf1khal; 12-22-2006 at 12:10 PM..
Closed Thread