Old 09-19-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
nick119
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular
Default FIGURED IT OUT! WAP Access is included in BB Unlim Plan! - Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Great NEWS!

Ok for all you guys with the Cingular Unlimited Data Plan's on a non-BES, you DO NOT, i repeat you DO NOT need to pay extra for WAP Access if you do have the unlimited data plan! I finally got through with a great cingular employee, whom I explained my whole story too, and she agreed and took care of it and fixed everything up and cleared up any confusion. Just call up Cingular's Blackberry Dept. and see if you can get Lucy Patton to help you out, that was her name. She'll help you out with everything you need, she totally understands the situation. The number to call is ..866-490-2666.

Man am i relieved now that I don't have to pay extra for something I already have. One huge headache cleared from my life heh.

Any questions feel free to PIN me..

I also just got an email from her saying that these settings will also work with the blackberry access point:
GPRS APN: blackberry.net
WAP gateway ip: 66.209.11.61
WAP gateway port: 9203
Old 09-19-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

well of course it is included why wouldnt it be
Old 09-19-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
nick119

Because theres so much confusion between Cingular about this situation...
Old 09-19-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
Dawg
No longer Registered.

ok this is first i have heard about it
Old 09-19-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
forrestc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Sweet. Thanks Nick.. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow. Hope it works for longer than 1 month

Dawg, here's the background info: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=15646

Cingular was telling us that we would have to pay additional $ for unlimited data.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:38 PM   #6
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick119
Just call up Cingular's Blackberry Dept. and see if you can get Lucy Patton to help you out, that was her name. She'll help you out with everything you need, she totally understands the situation. The number to call is ..866-490-2666.

Man am i relieved now that I don't have to pay extra for something I already have. One huge headache cleared from my life heh.
Nick, remember when I said Cingular was confusing, now imagine a product so tough only one person in the company, Lucy Patton, understands it and can get it working right. Is that enough said? i guess I prefer things work right out of the box.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
fancyname

Good news Nick. Does it also apply for Cingular customers migrated from AT&T?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:52 AM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

sounds like you all need a new carrier
Old 09-20-2005, 06:05 AM   #9
nick119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
Nick, remember when I said Cingular was confusing, now imagine a product so tough only one person in the company, Lucy Patton, understands it and can get it working right. Is that enough said? i guess I prefer things work right out of the box.
Heh, yeah I know if was a little crazy, but she told me she heard about it before and also she heard about these forums too, and said shes going to try to get on here and make an account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyname
Good news Nick. Does it also apply for Cingular customers migrated from AT&T?
I believe so, i dont see why not?, as long as you have the unlimited data plan. Let me know how it all works out.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:57 AM   #10
forrestc

Carrier: Verizon

I would guess that the word has gone out from someone in Cingular's data services that Blackberry users will have unlimited data without additional fees.

I spoke to different rep last night (not the one Nick mentioned). He knew the deal and took care of it, immediately adding the service books for WAP and data when I mentioned that data services were not fully enabled for my BB. I think that most of the problems with Cingular came from inexperienced customer service reps and store personnel.

To Cingular's credit, the three times I have called into the (866) 490-2666 line (specific support for data services and Blackberry/smartphone devices), the reps have been knowledgeable, helpful, and willing to connect me to RIM support if necessary.

It's easy to take potshots at Cingular, but from what I've seen on the forums, all of the carriers have some sort of problem every now and then..

-forrest
Old 09-20-2005, 08:25 AM   #11
Mgalin

Model: 8700C

I spoke to them also.. Here is the deal SPECIFICALLY

The Cingular rep (Corporate rep, or the super hot store chick) didn't know better, and added XPMail w/BB UnLimited. This in their eyes "XPMailwith BB/unl is Blackberry" is the PUSH service, lets say if you are NOT on a BES and using the Desktop redirector. (Most of us are on BES, some aren't tho)

This is NOT the right plan, for those like us who are on Bes with enterprise redirectors, , there is a Blackberry Unlimited for 49.99, (44.95) depending on your bundeld services.
This INCLUDES unlimited wap..

This took two calls to that 866-490 number, first guy just removed internet express pay/per use, and figured it would resolve itself. It didn't, they just removed my WAP access by accident.

The second guy, removed XPMail w/BB Unl, and readded BB Unlimited only.. WAP works. we'll see when i get a bill, not worried as long as they notated the account. Desktop redirector is disabled now.. (which is fine) Web Client service books still work fine..
Old 09-20-2005, 08:42 AM   #12
nick119

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7290/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

That's basically the same thing I went through, thank god they are finally starting to ge this cleaned up
Old 09-20-2005, 10:07 AM   #13
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestc
It's easy to take potshots at Cingular, but from what I've seen on the forums, all of the carriers have some sort of problem every now and then..

-forrest
True, and as I stated before I think Cing is otherwise a good company. Most companies have a BB plan that will easily give the customer all they need no second calls. Heck, TMO you can set yourself up via the web no problems.

Cing seems to have more complex way of doing it. Some people have even gotten screwed on the bill because it's so complex (no names Nick). Knowing this, by now, there should be a cheat sheet from an expert in the company floating around saying if they want BB service, give them X, Y and Z then have them make these changes to these settings. Instead, you and Nick got informed folks while Mgalin got the guy that was out smoking during the meeting.

Modern day technology, GUI's, web access etc... It shouldn't be this diffcult for the CS folks!
Old 09-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #14
nick119

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7290/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Very very well put Soap. I actually laughed out loud in the middle of class while reading that. Haha.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:35 PM   #15
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Cingular has been mammothly confusing for many people who want to get TCP/IP without getting BES. Some succeed in getting this set up and some do not.

To the best of my knowledge, TCP/IP still requires going through other access points (wap.cingular, isp.cingular, etc) since blackberry.net is reserved for BlackBerry-specific software such as the BlackBerry Browser/BlackBerry Email/BlackBerry Messenger .... The blackberry.net APN does not seem to work with software such as VeriChat and other third-party network non-web-browser software.

I should update my FAQ's about setting up unlimited data for third party applications, but I need to hear consistent reports from many people. Cingular still seems to be hit-and-miss, but hopefully Cingular is finally fixing the confusion.
Quote:
Great NEWS!

Ok for all you guys with the Cingular Unlimited Data Plan's on a non-BES, you DO NOT, i repeat you DO NOT need to pay extra for WAP Access if you do have the unlimited data plan! I finally got through with a great cingular employee, whom I explained my whole story too, and she agreed and took care of it and fixed everything up and cleared up any confusion. Just call up Cingular's Blackberry Dept. and see if you can get Lucy Patton to help you out, that was her name. She'll help you out with everything you need, she totally understands the situation. The number to call is ..866-490-2666.

Any questions feel free to PIN me..

I also just got an email from her saying that these settings will also work with the blackberry access point:
GPRS APN: blackberry.net
WAP gateway ip: 66.209.11.61
WAP gateway port: 9203
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 09-20-2005, 01:47 PM   #16
nick119

Now my wap isn't working... I'm getting the tunnel-failed error again... Ahhhhhhhhh!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:20 PM   #17
nick119

Ok called up took them two minutes to re add it...
Old 09-21-2005, 07:06 PM   #18
jshack

Carrier: verizon

OK, I'm totally confused now. I followed all of these threads when I first received my 7100 from cingular, and gave up trying to ever get ramble working.

I'm working through all of the relevant suggestions one more time [in what I fully expect to be a failed effort], but if someone who has achieved actual success getting this to work would tell me EXACTLY what parameters to feed into EXACTLY what settings fields, I would be tremendously grateful.

JS
Old 09-21-2005, 07:14 PM   #19
dulcamara

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Ok called up took them two minutes to re add it...
This was why I gave up. If you can get it back in minutes instead of hours, things have either become much better or you're able to explain what you want to Cingular much more effectively than I.

I'm impressed with what you've been able to do. Many have tried and failed before you.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:17 PM   #20
nick119

Ok download the latest version of ramble @ http://wirless.sra.com/ ... (i've never actually used a 7100 but i assume its the same) but if you go into your TCP settings and for the APN put: wap.cingular then Username: [email address] (case sens) and Password: CINGULAR1 (case sensitive) and if still doesnt work. Call up cingular blackberry support @ 866-490-2666 (if you have the unlimited data plan) and tell them that you need wap.cingular access point added to your account which should be there already. If all fails or you are successful post back here..
Closed Thread