BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
ziggi

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default Various problems with Wi-Fi + DM for Mac + restart stalling - pls can someone help?!!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

I'm looking for some help on a few issues including software upgrading - I'm new to Blackberry and have had a few problems since I got my 8900 which I'm hoping will be sorted out by an OS upgrade. I already love my 8900 but am frustrated by the issues I'm having.

I've had a very unreliable Wi-Fi connection (despite being next door to my router, it is continuously dropping out and swapping to mobile network coverage) and some worrying stalling upon reboot since the moment I put in the battery. For example, after installing an app earlier (in the brief time I had decent wi-fi), phone restarted but stalled and restarted again, taking about 20 mins to do so.

I've searched through almost every bb forum I can find and have done everything suggested such as selecting Wi-Fi preferred etc, battery pulls etc but nothing is really working.

So I'm now trying to find out how to upgrade to 5.0 (or at least 4.6.1.456)

I use a Mac and have DM for Mac installed, but it is telling me there is NO upgrade available
Out of the box, my phone is running 4.6.1.310.
My carrier is O2 (UK) and through RIM the available upgrade for O2 is 4.6.1.456 (although its .exe and obv doesn't run on mac)
Running Wireless Update on 8900 also comes back with 'no update available'

This means DM for Mac is lying to me. I've tried reinstalling it but to no avail. I am at a loss as to how to upgrade my OS - and even Blackberry support for DM for Mac says that it should work, but it doesn't.

So the question is:

Will the wi-fi and stalling problems be sorted by an upgrade or are these a sign of a bigger problem and I should get a replacement?
How can I upgrade my 8900 if DM for Mac and the phone itself won't recognise there are updates available?
How do I get the .exe file from RIM onto my phone using mac?

Please excuse me if I am duplicating or missing something really obvious but my searches have yielded nowt and the wealth of information is beginning to overwhelm me!!

Thanks very much for any help you can give, it is much appreciated
Old 02-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

How do I get the .exe file from RIM onto my phone using mac?

You don't. You can't. You have to use a PC.

DM once opened and connected to phone, goes off to RIM down the internet with your carrier info and current Os and searches for updates.

If not connected to the internet, it cant do this.
If you are connected to the internet, try reinstalling DM.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 02-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
ziggi

Thanks for your reply...

I realised after posting that of course I can't install the .exe through my mac and I should have reworded that, sorry! I meant, how can I get DM to work and if I can't then how else do I upgrade the file using a mac?

Are you saying that the PC way is really my only option?

Mac is connected to the internet and I have tried reinstalling DM for Mac (twice now) but its still not working. My bb is also connecting to the internet but doesn't find the update when connected by either EDGE, GPRS or the frustratingly intermittent wi-fi.

My boyfriend has suggested it might be an issue with our home wireless network not allowing DM for Mac to search?

>>Anyone had the restart issue on their 8900? Its happened again just now, took about 5 mins to restart?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggi View Post

>>Anyone had the restart issue on their 8900? Its happened again just now, took about 5 mins to restart?
a BB taking about 5 min to restart is not all to uncommon... especially for a beta OS.

but in reality, it isint something youll haveto restart often (or shouldnt.... at any rate).
Old 02-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
ziggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerandomguy View Post
a BB taking about 5 min to restart is not all to uncommon
Ok, thanks, that's good to know - although the stalling part still worries me (starts, blacks out once or twice, then appears to restart again). Yesterday there was a 20 minute wait for it to restart after installing facebook app - during which I nearly cried thinking I'd managed to kill my new toy in just under 24 hours!
Old 02-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Yes, PC is really the only option.
RIM in their wiseness decided DM for mac was a good idea.
But then didnt realise that OS downloads only come in .exe, and RIM either dont know/weren't told or are just slow to realise they need it in a MAC compatible format.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 02-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

that most certainly isn't supposed to happen...

are there any other errors or bugs and the like? those could indicate a hardware (or more likely, a software problem)
Old 02-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
either dont know/weren't told or are just slow to realise they need it in a MAC compatible format.
pretty sure they know, but like everything that company does with macs, they are jsut slow to do it.

i mean, how many *years* did people have to wait for the BB DM to come to mac?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
ziggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
Yes, PC is really the only option.
RIM in their wiseness decided DM for mac was a good idea.
But then didnt realise that OS downloads only come in .exe, and RIM either dont know/weren't told or are just slow to realise they need it in a MAC compatible format.
And there I was holding out (vague) hope that the days of PC vs Mac arguments were over haha

Seems like a mightily retarded, in fact, entirely backward way of producing a DM - release the program but not the software it uses?!

I read ages ago that DM for Mac was coming out and because I presumed this would mean I wouldn't be forced to go near a PC, I finally gave in and upgraded my iPhone the moment my contract was up to my lovely 8900. Not that I hate PC but we all want an easy life these days and the iPhone was more flashy than functional.

Ah well, I hope they sort out the OS file format issue soon. Funny that the functionality is there yet it doesn't work, much like the iPhone in many respects...

I will continue the fight with my wi-fi and see if upgrade through PC does fix it.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Moved to a more appropriate section

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Closed Thread