Old 09-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
gtechtwo

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2 uk
Default Question on WiFi Use on 8520

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone,

Knew user to BB having swung over from the Nokia E71. Very very new to BB so its like a blank piece of paper to me at the moment, although trying to get information from as many sources as possible.

I am setup on O2 UK and my corporate email, contacts, etc are coming over just fine.

I have now setup connectivity to my home WiFi network and the BB 8520 connects fine, however, when browsing the Internet, lt looks like its still connecting via GPRS.

On the home screen of the 8520 the WiFi symbol is displayed, as soon as I go into the BB Browser I only have the GPRS symbol. How do I get the device to default browse on the Wifi instead of gprs ?? on my Nokia I had an excellent application that would always try Wifi first, if it could'nt connect then it went out on GPRS....anything similar on BB ??

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Graeme
Old 10-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

As far as I know, if wifi is available, the BB defaults to that.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
gtechtwo

Thanks for the response, I have since found out if I put the browser in "Hot Spot" mode it goes out on the WiFi just fine.

Could'nt find anything that clearly showed it using WiFi in normal mode, it would only indicated GPRS/EDGE.

Thanks again

Graeme
Old 10-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
stev32k

Carrier: T-Mobile

Not sure if your device is the same as the curve, but it it is you can goto options -> Mobile network -> connection preference and choose wifi preferred. See it that will cure your problem.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
gtechtwo

Yep the 8520 is a CURVE, but alas no option to set Preferred method of communication.

If I go to OPTIONS - MOBILE NETWORK - I have:

data services (on or off)
While Roaming (on or off)

Mobile Network (then my providers name: O2)
Network Selection Mode (Automatic or Manual) if I select Manual then it lists all the other providers its picking up and I have to select o2

And thats it as far as options go. The only sure fire way I have found to browse using Wifi is by setting the browser to "Hot Spot" mode.

Thanks

Graeme
Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
tomvincci

Carrier: digi

do we need the approval from blackberry website to use the wifi???because i planning to buy 8520 curve
Old 10-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

No you don't.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
j4zb4

Carrier: Loop Moblie

I am having a different problem... I posted it on another thread but I realised was a 2 year old thread...

I just bought the 8520... I think after reading up so many forums I have set it up correctly... I have set the Default browser to hotspot browser etc. It connects to the wi-fi and everthing but when I try to open a page it says no internet connection please check your connection... What could possibly be the problem...?

I haven't activated the Blackberry services... Do I need to activate them even if I am surfing through wi-fi? Please help...
Old 10-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4zb4 View Post
I am having a different problem... I posted it on another thread but I realised was a 2 year old thread...
Don't post on the end of another thread, start your own if you have a different problem

Quote:
I just bought the 8520... I think after reading up so many forums I have set it up correctly... I have set the Default browser to hotspot browser etc. It connects to the wi-fi and everthing but when I try to open a page it says no internet connection please check your connection... What could possibly be the problem...?

I haven't activated the Blackberry services... Do I need to activate them even if I am surfing through wi-fi? Please help...
Not much information here, but sounds like a configuration problem with your router. Have a look at the Wi-Fi diagnostics page. Assuming you get your Wi-Fi connection sorted out, you will find that using Wi-Fi with a Blackberry Data Plan and Blackberry Services is seamless.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
j4zb4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
Don't post on the end of another thread, start your own if you have a different problem

Not much information here, but sounds like a configuration problem with your router. Have a look at the Wi-Fi diagnostics page. Assuming you get your Wi-Fi connection sorted out, you will find that using Wi-Fi with a Blackberry Data Plan and Blackberry Services is seamless.
Well many forums lambast you for starting double threads... And this problem seemed a little similar... Just a little addition that it doesnt connect trhough the wi-fi...

My router seems to be working fine with my desktop, laptop and even my iphone... Just doesnt go through with 8520... And I also tried it out at my office... And my friends place... No luck... :(
Old 10-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
hrbuckley

You'll get "lambasted" here too if you ask a question that has been answered many times before. Individual problems are always a bit different.

Unfortunately how well your router works with your lap top doesn't help us. Some information that will help is, what make and model router are you using, though if you have different routers in the three places you've tried it isn't likely a router problem.

For future reference if you complete your profile with the OS version of your Blackberry and the full name and country of your Carrier it sometimes helps. BPL means nothing to me.

For this specific problem go to Manage Connections -> Wi-Fi Options. Then press the menu key and select Wi-Fi Tools -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics. The information there should help you out. If you don't understand the information you can mail it to your self (Menu -> Email Report) then past it here. For now we only need the first section titled Wi-Fi.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:17 AM   #12
j4zb4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
You'll get "lambasted" here too if you ask a question that has been answered many times before. Individual problems are always a bit different.

Unfortunately how well your router works with your lap top doesn't help us. Some information that will help is, what make and model router are you using, though if you have different routers in the three places you've tried it isn't likely a router problem.

For future reference if you complete your profile with the OS version of your Blackberry and the full name and country of your Carrier it sometimes helps. BPL means nothing to me.

For this specific problem go to Manage Connections -> Wi-Fi Options. Then press the menu key and select Wi-Fi Tools -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics. The information there should help you out. If you don't understand the information you can mail it to your self (Menu -> Email Report) then past it here. For now we only need the first section titled Wi-Fi.

Hey thanks a lot for your help... My problem is solved... Actually it was a very stupid thing I did... I used to turn off the data services option which I assumed turned of my edge (as happens in the iphone)... I didn't know it turns of ALL data services and not only through the carrier...

Thanks a lot for your time... Sorry to trouble you...

edit: there I added the details in my profile as you suggested...

Last edited by j4zb4; 10-27-2009 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 10-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #13
hrbuckley

No problem, glad you've got it working, that is something I should move to the top of my diagnosis tree, but I never turn mine off.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
j4zb4

I got into the habit with the iphone... Many times leave a lot of messengers on and downloads on throughout the day with minimum refresh... Shot my bills through the roof...
Old 10-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
ck.iiitdm

Carrier: Airtel

i had nokia 5800 and it has very easy interface for http proxy and port no setting, but my new curve 8520
is showing the wifi connection but when i open a page it gives "u r not connected to server"....i made the http setting but how to set port no. in the phone?

Last edited by ck.iiitdm; 10-27-2009 at 02:18 PM..
Closed Thread