Old 02-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Default Blackberry Outage 02/11/2008

Please Login to Remove!

NEW YORK xxx8212; A major service outage afflicted users of the popular, addictive BlackBerry smart phones across the United States and Canada on Monday.
Officials with AT&T Inc. and Verizon Wireless said BlackBerry maker Research in Motion Ltd. told them customers of all wireless carriers were affected.
It was not immediately clear how many of the 12 million worldwide BlackBerry subscribers had problems, as some users reported being able to access their service normally Monday afternoon.
But Garth Turner, a member of the Canadian Parliament, said during a caucus meeting that the incident xxx8212; the second widespread disruption in 10 months xxx8212; was having a big impact.
"Everyone's in crisis because they're all picking away at their BlackBerrys and nothing's happening," Turner said. "It's almost like cutting the phone cables or a total collapse in telegraph lines a century ago. It just isolates people in a way that's quite phenomenal."
Bell Canada spokesman Jason Laszlo said the majority of its BlackBerry customers were affected.
"There's really no estimated time of repair," Laszlo said.

The BlackBerry service, which lets users check e-mail and access other data services on their handheld devices, has become a lifeline for many business executives and is increasingly popular among consumers with models like the BlackBerry Pearl.
In a statement, RIM said a "data service interruption" was resulting in "intermittent service delays for BlackBerry subscribers in North America." The company said voice and text messaging services were not affected.
A technical support recording for Canadian wireless provider Rogers Communications Inc. said subscribers could have difficulties sending and receiving messages, activating accounts and using other services like Internet browsing.
The company was "working with our vendor to resolve this issue," the recording said.
There was no word on what caused the outage or when service would be restored.
Major disruptions have been rare but often provoke an angry backlash against Waterloo, Ontario-based RIM because of its typically lengthy silences about the cause and because it eventually gives only cryptic, jargon-laden explanations.
When the BlackBerry service suffered a major outage last April, the company remained silent about the cause for two days.
The latest outage enraged some BlackBerry customers who were also hit by the network failure last year.
Stuart Gold, a customer who says he gets 1,000 e-mails a day as director of field marketing for Web analytics company Omniture Inc., worked on his laptop most of Monday after his BlackBerry went on the blink.
Although Gold said he thought last year's outage gave him a needed break from work, Monday's frayed his last nerve.
"I cannot believe this happened again," he said as he got off a plane. "I'm on the road 300 days a year. My entire life is in my BlackBerry xxx8212; my family life, my professional life, my emotional life, everything. ... They're not allowed to do this to me."
Gold, 49, said he plans to ask his company to buy him a second smart phone from a rival as a backup. BlackBerry competitors include Palm Inc.'s Treo.
In a statement, AT&T spokesman Fletcher Cook said the company first learned about the problem from RIM about 3:30 p.m. EST.
"This is not an issue with AT&T's wireless network," Cook said. "Customers could experience difficulties using their BlackBerry devices. RIM has not given us an estimated time of when this problem would be fixed."
RIM has deals with scores of wireless carriers to offer the BlackBerry service around the world.

FOXNews.com - BlackBerry Service Out Intermittently Across North America - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News
Old 02-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

His whole life is in there! Hey dude get another smartphone as a backup you will be begging for the once a year outtage vs the 10x a day restarting your treo
Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
My entire life is in my BlackBerry — my family life, my professional life, my emotional life, everything. ... They're not allowed to do this to me.
Ok, I'm an addict, but....really? Time for a Zoloft.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

That's the guy I was referring to!

Wow crazy!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I think the iPhone is in his future.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Yeah the email on it is so reliable NOT!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

We received the number of irate calls from (internal) customers complaining: zero.

As soon as we found out, we sent out a message to everyone (oops, they had to be using Outlook to get it) and no one complained. Some likes the peace and quiet!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
We received the number of irate calls from (internal) customers complaining: zero.

As soon as we found out, we sent out a message to everyone (oops, they had to be using Outlook to get it) and no one complained. Some likes the peace and quiet!
Same here. I immediately notified our Helpdesk and all of our NA users.

I found out from this site that there was a problem before any users had time to call and complain.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

-= Dataoutages.com =- did it for me.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx

All I can say is I need a break today, it we have another major outage today, my head will explode from moderating the list. I was up until 4am cleaning up posts from people saying things were working.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 02-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
audit
Whoever

BTW, Let's not forget about the planned outage on the 17th. I won't be available that day as it's my wife's and my 12 year anniversary so the BB will be left at home so we can have a quiet night out for dinner. I may add another mod or 2 at the rate the list has grown over the last 24 hrs.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
-= Dataoutages.com =- did it for me.
Me too....
Old 02-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit View Post
BTW, Let's not forget about the planned outage on the 17th. I won't be available that day as it's my wife's and my 12 year anniversary so the BB will be left at home so we can have a quiet night out for dinner. I may add another mod or 2 at the rate the list has grown over the last 24 hrs.
Your list is a life safer for me as well. I got hundreds of frantic calls yesterday and being on the list i knew as soon as people were having issues. I also recommended all the sales reps to join the list so they know what is going on when it is happening.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #14
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

I am on that list!!!

I love it
Old 02-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

According to the WSJ article just posted, it was due to RIM's expansion of its central processing center. No real details yet from RIM.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #16
audit
Whoever

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
According to the WSJ article just posted, it was due to RIM's expansion of its central processing center. No real details yet from RIM.
Got a copy and past since they want me to subscribe?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #17
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

WSJ Article:

Free Preview - WSJ.com
Old 02-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #18
audit
Whoever