Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T
Default Navy tightens grip on BlackBerrys

Please Login to Remove!

Navy tightens grip on BlackBerrys
By John Rendleman GCN
October 25, 2007

The Navy has implemented tougher security settings for BlackBerry devices used by naval personnel. Administrators for the Navy-Marine Corps Intranet activated the new settings Oct. 17 for the Navy and Oct. 23 for the Marine Corps.

The Office of the Department of the Navy’s Chief Information Officer based its strengthened security configuration on Wireless Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) BlackBerry Security Checklist v5, Release 1.2, published May 23 by the Defense Information Systems Agency, and on additional guidance from the Marine Corps and Navy Designated Approving Authority. The new settings work with readers used to access the Navy-Marine Corps Intranet with Common Access Cards, according to the CIO’s office.

The changes to the Navy’s BlackBerry security settings were implemented to protect the devices against unauthorized access and to turn off features that potentially compromised their security. Users received a message on their devices that the new settings had taken effect, and that users did not have to change the settings because the Navy would automatically reset the security settings of all of its devices through updates on the Navy’s BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

The devices will still require a five-character password, incorporating at least one alpha and one numeric character, which users must change every 90 days.

The new settings disabled several features and services, including instant messaging services, unencrypted peer-to-peer (PIN-to-PIN) messaging services, the Blackberry Instant Messenger tool, the Global Positioning System tracking feature and the Application Loader and third-party application download capability.

In addition, the Navy strengthened the lock-and-erase feature on the devices so that after five unsuccessful log-in attempts they will enter lock mode and erase all locally stored data. Once a device is locked, its owner will have to contact the Navy’s service desk to access the device and reset its password. While the devices are locked, users will be allowed to make and receive phone calls, although access to the devices’ stored phone book will be blocked.

Also, the increased security settings will turn off the devices’ antennae while they are connected to a desktop computer via a USB cable to disable phone and e-mail communications. While the devices are connected all phone calls will go directly to a user’s voice mail, and all pending e-mails will be delivered after the device is disconnected.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 10-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Wow, that's some tight security. And my users b*tch about just having a locking password (which they can set to 1 hour).
Old 10-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
audit
Whoever

Quote:
The new settings disabled several features and services, including instant messaging services, unencrypted peer-to-peer (PIN-to-PIN) messaging services, the Blackberry Instant Messenger tool, the Global Positioning System tracking feature and the Application Loader and third-party application download capability.
I don't agree with the GPS and PIN to PIN messaging as far as disabling that. They can audit the messaging with the logs and it's not hard to script something that watches those logs and flags keywords. I've printed this out and highlighted the above to show the people that do complain about how I have things locked down.

Last edited by audit; 10-26-2007 at 08:11 AM..
Old 10-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Must be taking intelligence lessons from the French. On the other hand maybe the Navy doesn't want the NSA reading it's mail. lol
Old 10-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
Jumpin_Joe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Wow, that's some tight security. And my users b*tch about just having a locking password (which they can set to 1 hour).
When I was in the consulting world, I was on the Norfolk VA navy base (for those who don't know: the majority of our Atlantic fleet is based there). The gov't rules and regulations were pretty strict - whether it made sense or not. As a civilian looking in, it was pretty funny at times.

As an aside, I was on the base on the morning of 9/11. They scrambled everyone big time that day and the weeks that followed.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Security is BIG issue with Defense, Energy and Homeland Security. Whatever they do is probably overkill, but someone feels it is necessary.

Corporate complainers should take notice and be thankful they have it as "easy" as they do. I know some banks and other financial institutions are almost this tight!
Old 10-26-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Yes SECURITY is very big with DoD!!! overkill maybe but better than the wrong people getting info that could cause serious harm to the U.S.!!!

yeah Show your users that complain! show them what could happen if they complain to much!!
Old 10-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Let's not forget that laptop that was stolen from a car with all our military records on it (when was that, last year?). I'm all for insane hardcore DoD restrictions on anything that could touch data...
Old 10-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #9
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit View Post
I don't agree with the GPS and PIN to PIN messaging as far as disabling that. They can audit the messaging with the logs and it's not hard to script something that watches those logs and flags keywords. I've printed this out and highlighted the above to show the people that do complain about how I have things locked down.
they may want to get away from auditing these features akll together.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Let's not forget that laptop that was stolen from a car with all our military records on it (when was that, last year?). I'm all for insane hardcore DoD restrictions on anything that could touch data...
Amen to that brother!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #11
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit View Post
Never know who's watching you my friend. I can see the GPS being turned off and I guess you never know what those guys could be saying on the instant messaging. Maybe that can be tracked as well by the enemy?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #12
audit
Whoever

I doubt that the PIN to PIN messaging can be intercepted. I'll give you the GPS though.

Closed Thread