BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:52 AM   #1
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Default I ditched the GPS-crippled Verizon for a Sprint 8830 - Here's the status so far...

Please Login to Remove!

After much frustration with Verizon's position regarding disabling the GPS on the 8830, I ordered and received a Sprint 8830.

1.) The voice quality seems to be much better. My wife complained when I got the Verizon device that she couldn't hear me clearly. I am using the exact same Jabra BT500 headset that I was using with my Cingular 8700c, then the Verizon 8830, then the Sprint 8830.

2.) Having the functional GPS is great! I played a round of Golf on Saturday. I used a golf score card application which also uses GPS to tell you the distance to the tee if you have the course data. It was a great example of why it is important that the internal GPS be functioning on the device.

3.) While I have not tried it yet, the Sprint unlimited data plan also allows me to tether the 8830. I expect to try it out this coming week.

4.) For coverage areas where Sprint's network doesn't reach, they have extensive roaming agreements which include not only voice but also data roaming, both for free. I think this addresses most of the shortcomings in their network. (Verizon is one of their roaming partners)

5.) I much prefer the 8830 in black. The Sprint 8830 looks sharp.

6.) The Sprint 8830's keyboard has a much better tactile feedback. I thought the mechanicals were supposed to be the same however the keyboard feels tons better on the Sprint.

7.) I am delighted to take my money away from Verizon and to a carrier who has opened up the 8830 to be all it was designed to be instead of limiting it.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonx View Post
I am using the exact same Jabra BT500 headset that I was using with my Cingular 8700c, then the Verizon 8830, then the Sprint 8830.
Wow, sounds like you personify "churn" in the cell phone biz! Good luck with the new 8830 and Sprint. If for any reason it doesn't work out, guess there's always T-Mobile still left!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #3
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
Wow, sounds like you personify "churn" in the cell phone biz! Good luck with the new 8830 and Sprint. If for any reason it doesn't work out, guess there's always T-Mobile still left!
I suppose.

I am someone who is quite loyal to companies that put their customers first. When I see things like Verizon's decision to disable the GPS, that is when I look elsewhere.

My reason for leaving Cingular/AT&T was my 8700c was pretty beat up and it was time for a new device. I liked the 8830 which they did not have. Also their network speed was pretty slow.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:44 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
I liked the 8830 which they did not have.
What were you looking for in the 8830 that wasn't in the 8800?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
amarryat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
After much frustration with Verizon's position regarding disabling the GPS on the 8830, I ordered and received a Sprint 8830.

2.) Having the functional GPS is great! I played a round of Golf on Saturday. I used a golf score card application which also uses GPS to tell you the distance to the tee if you have the course data. It was a great example of why it is important that the internal GPS be functioning on the device.
Funny I submitted feedback to Verizon saying that I wanted to use the golf GPS application but could not. They responded with a generic response about how they don't support gps. This was my letter:

I recently upgraded to the Blackberry 8830 and am aware that it has a GPS chip in it. I would like to use this phone with the Intelligolf software that enables GPS assistance on the golf course, however I have learned that the Verizonwireless version of the 8830 has the GPS functionality disabled. Are there any plans to re-enable this, or should future potential customers go to Sprint to gain this flexibility?

And this was their reply:

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We apologize that you are not able to use the BlackBerry 8830 with the Intelligolf software to enable GPS assistance on the golf course. We are happy to assist you with your concern on using the BlackBerry 8830.

Verizon Wireless is committed to providing the very latest in products and services. Verizon Wireless does not provide support for the BlackBerry Maps application or 3rd party software that would be required to make full use of the 8830's GPS capabilities. As a result, the 8830's GPS functionality has not been enabled so that we are able to provide a standardized level of functionality and support for our advanced devices.

We are unable to state if or when additional GPS functionality will be enabled on the Verizon Wireless 8830. We understand and apologize for any frustration regarding this but we are only able to provide information regarding products or services that we are currently offering. We are unable to disclose any unconfirmed information because it would be subject to change and could raise expectations that may not be met.

If you have other questions or concerns, please write to us again through Cell Phones, Mobile Phones and plans for Personal - Verizon Wireless. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

If this turns into another Verizon-crippled-my-gps-enabled-8830 gripe thread, it will be closed.

amarryat--the topic is how much the OP likes his Sprint version.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
amarryat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
If this turns into another Verizon-crippled-my-gps-enabled-8830 gripe thread, it will be closed.

amarryat--the topic is how much the OP likes his Sprint version.
I responded to the OP's 2nd point. And based on the subject, it sounds as though he griped and then ditched.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Should probally go ahead and close!

have fun with sprint CSR hope you dont ever have to call them.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Thank you. Any future complaints or venting about the Vzn 8830 gps-crippling can be made here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...here-rant.html

If you are not aware, this issue has been beaten to death on this board, and to keep from having a thousand topics on the matter, we've tried to help it make sense by keeping them in one place.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 AM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Thank you. Any future complaints or venting about the Vzn 8830 gps-crippling can be made here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...here-rant.html

If you are not aware, this issue has been beaten to death on this board, and to keep from having a thousand topics on the matter, we've tried to help it make sense by keeping them in one place.
umm it says not to post in that thread.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #11
mariettanole

Model: 8830

which golf app were you using?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
birdiebo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

So, back to the original post: have you experienced phone calls not registering on the handset and going straight to voice mail? So far, that is the only negative I've experienced with the hardware or the service.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:29 PM   #13
ibmman69
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 32c04a31

Sprint services appears to be good in Raleigh, NC too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebo View Post
So, back to the original post: have you experienced phone calls not registering on the handset and going straight to voice mail? So far, that is the only negative I've experienced with the hardware or the service.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #14
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariettanole View Post
which golf app were you using?
mScorecard
mScorecard™ | Golf scorecard and statistics software for java enabled mobile phones, BlackBerry, Palm and PocketPC devices

I really like it so far. It is very easy to use.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #15
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Great so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebo View Post
No missed calls so far.

It even rang through when I received a call while tethered and online.
(Which is working great while connected directly to Sprint's network.)
((I still need to try it when it's roaming))

I'm thrilled so far with the Sprint 8830's performance and lack of restrictions.

Last edited by brittonx; 07-30-2007 at 06:04 PM..
Old 07-30-2007, 06:16 PM   #16
bikedogrun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
have fun with sprint CSR hope you dont ever have to call them.
Sorry if you had an awkward time ... my Sprint experience (approx 6-7 calls in 6 months to Cust Service) has been uniformly excellent as well. Not a single dropped call, every call quite clean as well (was not true with either TMO or AT&T).

The 8830 is a superb device, I am fine with the keyboard ... all-in-all I'm VERY happy.

/BD

Last edited by bikedogrun; 07-30-2007 at 06:18 PM..
Old 07-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #17
ibmman69

I've experienced good call quality as well. I have had excellent experience with the call centers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikedogrun View Post
Sorry if you had an awkward time ... my Sprint experience (approx 6-7 calls in 6 months to Cust Service) has been uniformly excellent as well. Not a single dropped call, every call quite clean as well (was not true with either TMO or AT&T).

The 8830 is a superb device, I am fine with the keyboard ... all-in-all I'm VERY happy.

/BD
Old 07-30-2007, 09:31 PM   #18
ilguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

How is the battery life of the spring 8830 vs. the verizon 8830? One of my initial thoughts was that the GPS on the 8830 combined with higher power requirement of the CDMA technology may have shortened battery life too much.....
Old 07-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #19
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000
PIN: Ask
Carrier: AT&T
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmman69 View Post
I've experienced good call quality as well. I have had excellent experience with the call centers as well.
1st off your sig says your on verizon, and r U commenting on the call quality of Sprint or Verizon?.

Testing out the AT&T 8800 now, have to say Verizon's Customer service and Tech support are awesome but the crippling and overpriced data have go me looking elsewhere.

Nothing like calling customer support and getting someone chomping on gum or axing me a question. WTF happened to hiring standards and training? Obviously AT&T does not believe in them, to top it off, when you ask a cs rep how the merger is working and has anything change for the better or worse and the guy says NOPE SOS different day and its just a job, Did I answer all of your question for ya ?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:12 AM   #20
ibmman69

The text I quoted referred to Sprint and I was also referring to Sprint.

After the conversation I had with Verizon's "Executive Office" yesterday, I have decided to make the jump permanent. I will port my number by the end of the week. I just hope Sprint keeps up the good service I have received so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBB View Post
1st off your sig says your on verizon, and r U commenting on the call quality of Sprint or Verizon?.

Testing out the AT&T 8800 now, have to say Verizon's Customer service and Tech support are awesome but the crippling and overpriced data have go me looking elsewhere.

Nothing like calling customer support and getting someone chomping on gum or axing me a question. WTF happened to hiring standards and training? Obviously AT&T does not believe in them, to top it off, when you ask a cs rep how the merger is working and has anything change for the better or worse and the guy says NOPE SOS different day and its just a job, Did I answer all of your question for ya ?
Closed Thread