BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
tran_man

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T
Default Unable to answer calls from standby mode

Please Login to Remove!

I've had this problem recently, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. When I put the phone in standby (holding the mute button) mode, I can't seem to answer any of my phone calls. I notice the call come up, I can scroll around, and silence the ringer by pressing the mute button, but I can't answer or ignore the call.

Once the voicemail picks up or the other party hangs up, the phone tells me there is a missed call and whatnot. I still can't acknowledge anything until I press the standby button once more, then I get full access to the phone again. This only happens when it wakes up from standby mode. When I don't put it in standby mode, it answers calls fine, when I lock the phone, it answers the phone fine.

Only in standby mode is when I have the problem of answering phone calls. Anyone else have this problem and how do I fix it?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
yaoming7511

Model: 8100c
Carrier: AT&T

Yes. This is EXACTLY what happens to my phone. I already posted a thread about a week ago on this. (Search for the thread "Pearl will not answer calls occasionally", it won't allow me to post URLs yet.)

I am still having the same problem even though I took the battery out and everything. I thought the problem had gone away, but it hasn't.

I called up Cingular, but they told me that they don't know what's wrong with it, so they're pretty much useless.

Anyone else know how to fix this problem?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
yaoming7511

Ok, I think that we may be making a little progress. I just read in another thread that this problem will happen after you get the uncaught exception:java.lang.Illegal.argument exception while trying to type a name into the address book and then going into standby.

There wasn't a solution to our problem in the thread, but it may help to track down what is causing ours.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #4
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Cingular

I experienced this problem for the first time yesterday, never happened before. I have no idea what is going on with my Pearl.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:48 AM   #5
indramilo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: 2053A30B
Carrier: Telcel

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/121)

I have the same problem, it has happened to me like 4 times now, but this happens just when i try to answer with the trackball, i haven't had the problem when i press the green button... Hope this helps you too, at least until we know what is happening to our pearls :/

Last edited by indramilo; 02-20-2007 at 12:49 AM..
Old 02-20-2007, 01:00 AM   #6
yaoming7511

yeah, it happens with all the buttons, not just the trackball.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
getvertical

Default Me too...

I just got the Pearl a couple of weeks ago and am too running into this problem. I'm running 4.2.0.71 which is the latest firmware that I've found so I think this may be a newly discovered issue....

I'd love to get a fix....
Old 02-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
rung
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9780
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Same here

The only fix I found was to use keyboard lock instead of standby. What a p.i.t.a. There has to be a fix. Could it be an application? I have installed:

Gmail, Google Talk, Newsclip, Opera Mini, News Clip and Google maps.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rung
The only fix I found was to use keyboard lock instead of standby. What a p.i.t.a. There has to be a fix. Could it be an application? I have installed:

Gmail, Google Talk, Newsclip, Opera Mini, News Clip and Google maps.
I think that it is an OS issue not app issue.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #10
adamyork

I have the same issue as well. My phone will operate just fine for a couple of days (answers calls out of standby just fine), and then it will stop. Once it stops being able to answer calls out of standby, the only fix I've found is to pull the battery.

Really. Really. Annoying.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:40 AM   #11
blimpmedia

Carrier: Optus
Default Same Problem

I’m curiosity to know what the difference is between placing the phone on standby mode via the button and then locking the keypad and allowing the phone to timeout to standby?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
rung
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9780
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimpmedia
I’m curiosity to know what the difference is between placing the phone on standby mode via the button and then locking the keypad and allowing the phone to timeout to standby?
To avoid the problem, I don't put the phone in standby with the mute key. I just push the star key to lock the keyboard.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #13
blimpmedia

Carrier: Optus

I do the same just lock my phone with the * key for now and avoid placing it in the standby mode.

What id like to know is what’s the difference between locking the phone (*) or putting the phone on standby by pressing the Standby Mode button?

Will the phone last longer by physically placing it the standby mode?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:32 AM   #14
adamyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimpmedia
I'm not sure what the difference is. I guess I'll go back to locking the keypad via the * key.
Closed Thread