Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #41
TylerBoneZJoneZ
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
PIN: INK
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

The BlackBerry 7100i doesn't reconigize .wavs so I can't send you "real" ringtones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junede
can you send me some real ringtones
Old 08-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #42
bohaggon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
PIN: 247691f4
Carrier: AT&T

ok and this is sorta off subject but has anyone seen the rim "pearl"? this is one badass phone and i think its about time rim decided to release a blackberry esque phone that already includes both camera and media options...
Old 08-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #43
TylerBoneZJoneZ

Model: Droid
PIN: INK
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohaggon
ok and this is sorta off subject but has anyone seen the rim "pearl"? this is one badass phone and i think its about time rim decided to release a blackberry esque phone that already includes both camera and media options...
Well is this phone avaible yet? I mean I would probably go out and buy one if there was and also if it is out which phone company has it out? I have Nextel and would like to see them have a cool phone like that with camera and media center and stuff.....
Old 08-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #44
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
Angry

Nothing like staying on the topic there! This Thread was about the hopefully new 7100i OS and when it might come out. Please dont clutter it up when there are already lots of threads about the "pearl"
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 08-15-2006, 10:52 PM   #45
prelude9569

Model: 7100i
Carrier: nextel

any word on the software????
Old 08-16-2006, 06:17 AM   #46
Nextel 7100i

Tagged so I am subscribed to this thread

Also awaiting confirmation and information about the new OS ;)
Old 08-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #47
purephase

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextel 7100i
Tagged so I am subscribed to this thread

Also awaiting confirmation and information about the new OS ;)
Hope this will also apply to the Telus 7100i. This is a great little device but there are a number of really annoying little bugs and it would be really nice if they were addressed.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #48
Goobah

hi guys 1st post here.

so in a nut shell what will the upgrades be copared to the 136 version?
thanks
Old 08-16-2006, 05:14 PM   #49
bohaggon

hopefully there will be a number of things fixed. call volume, walkie volume, but the major issue at hand for a number of users is simply ringtones. which to be totally honest would be nice but not one of the major issues with this phone. but in my opinion there isnt much that needs to be fixed anyhow
Old 08-17-2006, 12:34 AM   #50
prelude9569

Carrier: nextel

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

Is there anybody to call at RIM or Nextel for a timeframe on release ?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #51
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobah
hi guys 1st post here.

so in a nut shell what will the upgrades be copared to the 136 version?
thanks
nothing is known aside from the lowest possible number of the package version that will be released. it is known that its in testing by Nextel, else it wouldn't show up in the universal vendor.xml file. any suggestions as to what it will and will not fix/address will be pure speculation (unless there are any Nextel QA reps on this forum, and in this thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase
Hope this will also apply to the Telus 7100i. This is a great little device but there are a number of really annoying little bugs and it would be really nice if they were addressed.
as with other carriers, handhelds, etc., you should be able to install the Nextel version on your Telus 7100i. Telus, however, did not have an updated version listed in the vendor.xml file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerBoneZJoneZ
Well is this phone avaible yet? I mean I would probably go out and buy one if there was and also if it is out which phone company has it out? I have Nextel and would like to see them have a cool phone like that with camera and media center and stuff.....
Sept 18 from TMO for $199. No current known plans for it to be released on Nextel (most likely in a year or so, if ever). Please look in the 8100 forum from the main forums page to find out all of the information known (although there's not much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude9569
Is there anybody to call at RIM or Nextel for a timeframe on release ?
unless you have a friend who works for Nextel in a technical department directly related with BlackBerry, or you oversee a large corporate account with Nextel, then unfortunately no.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #52
jibi
BlackBerry God

Just an update, I have reason to believe that WAV file support WILL be included with this. I do have official confirmation from RIM that the version available from Nextel at launch does not support WAV file downloads (although the handheld does support WAV and MIDI files) in the browser or MMS applications. For you Nextel customers, you may be able to contact Nextel Customer Support and request a timeframe for release - it won't hurt one way or the other.

...actually, you can just say that you were wanting to download some WAV file ringtones/personal recordings from your browser, but it wasn't working. Then reference the User Guide on their website that outlines the process to download WAV and MID files. At that point, ask them if WAV files are supported for download, and if they were but not available in the current OS release, when would they be support and when would the updated OS be available.

Unfortunately, we're a large Cingular and T-Mobile shop, with quite a few Sprint users as well, so I can't angle my way in as an anonymous caller with Nextel (we've only got perhaps 3 total users out of 400 that have a 7100i).

Old 08-17-2006, 05:50 PM   #53
pcdebb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

thanx jibi, that gives me a little bit of hope
Old 08-17-2006, 08:22 PM   #54
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdebb
thanx jibi, that gives me a little bit of hope
Sounds like were getting closer to what we want.....ringtones!
Old 08-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #55
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100

I dont see what the big deal is myself about having ringtones on your blackberry? I know I got my BB for the email system and web. when you think blackberry the first thing that comes to my mind is emails! I would like to see a new OS simply for the fact that there are some small bugs and it seama as if Nextel was left out of all the OS upgrades. I had a I870 before this and it had all the ringtones i needed. So if ringotnes are your main focus im sure there are many other phones out there that will do what your looking for.
Please remember I only speak for myself
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 08-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #56
StarLog

Model: 7520

Actually it IS a BIG deal...

My PBX at work, emails any voice mails we get to our desk phone with a .wav attached voicemail. Sure would be nice to be able to hear it.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #57
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLog
Actually it IS a BIG deal...

My PBX at work, emails any voice mails we get to our desk phone with a .wav attached voicemail. Sure would be nice to be able to hear it.
this won't be supported (in attachment form), however. it will be supported in OS 4.2, but whether or not that update will be available for the 7100i is up in the air (pretty much guaranteed for the 7130 and 8700 generation though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythmbHurts
I dont see what the big deal is myself about having ringtones on your blackberry? I know I got my BB for the email system and web. when you think blackberry the first thing that comes to my mind is emails!
I agree on a lot of points, however having feature-add functionality such as the ability to do custom tones (not just RINGtones) is a big plus. This can be used to differentiate standard emails with important emails. For instance, my systems at work page me with alerts when I'm on-call. As SMS is becoming more and more unreliable for me (I missed 21 pages this morning due to SMS), having the ability to 'filter' and mark certain messages as more important and set a different tone than my standard one for these messages (which is mute) is a huge, HUGE benefit.

For people who use this as just an email device, I agree... it's not important. However, perhaps the most important byproduct of adding little things such as customizable and downloadable ringtones is the fact that it adds more interest in the product by non-business-only-oriented users, thus providing revenue for RIM to keep making their wonderful products (yes, a simple little ringtone functionality is THAT important).
Old 08-20-2006, 04:06 PM   #58
bohaggon

i agree. when the blackberry first came out it was revolutionary. a pda like device that you can conduct your business calls from as well as email, and web access. but now as we look at the next generation of these "smart phones" more and more are starting to be geared more towards media functionality, on top of what was previously offered. long story short in my opinion it all boils down to one thing, progression. and with all other carriers shifting more towards these media friendly smart phones, i would think that it would only be a matter of time before RIM starts to lose revenue if they fail to keep up with the progession of these devices.

Last edited by bohaggon; 08-20-2006 at 04:10 PM..
Old 08-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #59
JENKS32

Carrier: Nextel
Cool New upgrade for 7100i

Hello I am new to blackberry.
I am on Nextel
Will there be any additional downloads to the Plazmic themes (Smoothie & Pixelistic)?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #60
bohaggon

does anyone know if nextel users will ever be treated to a new blackberry? the 7100i is great nonetheless but i think it would be cool to get an updated model. also does RIM still plan on, or were they ever going to release an update for the 7100i?