Old 03-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
Vernexto

Model: N/A
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Nextel
Default Bluetooth and BMW; Only Certain Letters in Address Book Transfer

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

I've been having this issue for quite a while, and recently bought a new Blackberry hoping it would resolve the problem. Sadly, it didn't. I'm currently running a Blackberry 8820 on Sprint, and it pairs fine with my 2007 BMW M6. I am able to make calls, receive calls, no problem. The only issue is the transfer of the address book; SOME of my contacts transfer to the car, while others arbitrarily do not. For example, any contact whose name starts with O, Q, U, and Y just does not transfer, and when looking at the Bluetooth screen in my BMW, I have the option of choosing my contacts A-Z, but the aforementioned letters are just not available.

Any advice? I thought perhaps there was some sort of limit on how many contacts could transfer to the car, but then why are only certain (and seemingly arbitrary) letters not transferring? I also had this issue with a Blackberry 7100i on Nextel. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I got off the phone with a friendly (and seemingly very knowledge) BMW support agent, who informed me that the reason this could be occurring is that there is a limit of 1000 contacts PER GROUP that can transfer to the car. Since all my contacts are ungrouped (or rather, in one group) I have over 1,000, and he suggested if I split them up into groups it should work. Does this make sense? It doesn't to me, as why would random letters not be transferring, as opposed to transferring the first 1,000 contacts and then just stopping after that?

Last edited by Vernexto; 03-21-2008 at 05:45 PM..
Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
netPOSER
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernexto View Post
Hi All,

I've been having this issue for quite a while, and recently bought a new Blackberry hoping it would resolve the problem. Sadly, it didn't. I'm currently running a Blackberry 8820 on Sprint, and it pairs fine with my 2007 BMW M6. I am able to make calls, receive calls, no problem. The only issue is the transfer of the address book; SOME of my contacts transfer to the car, while others arbitrarily do not. For example, any contact whose name starts with O, Q, U, and Y just does not transfer, and when looking at the Bluetooth screen in my BMW, I have the option of choosing my contacts A-Z, but the aforementioned letters are just not available.

Any advice? I thought perhaps there was some sort of limit on how many contacts could transfer to the car, but then why are only certain (and seemingly arbitrary) letters not transferring? I also had this issue with a Blackberry 7100i on Nextel. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I got off the phone with a friendly (and seemingly very knowledge) BMW support agent, who informed me that the reason this could be occurring is that there is a limit of 1000 contacts PER GROUP that can transfer to the car. Since all my contacts are ungrouped (or rather, in one group) I have over 1,000, and he suggested if I split them up into groups it should work. Does this make sense? It doesn't to me, as why would random letters not be transferring, as opposed to transferring the first 1,000 contacts and then just stopping after that?
Thanks for the info. Working with a lawyer at the office and I bet that's his problem.

After transferring his AB to the car you see this for the "letters"
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P...S

No Q R or any letters after S.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:08 AM   #3
Knocka

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

I had a similar problem with my BB 8310 in a 2008 BMW 335i. I never realized that the problem could be related to the number of Contacts I have assigned to each category. I thought there was simply a limit on the number of entries the BMW would allow. Anyway, with almost 1,000 contacts, having them all show up in the BMW phone book was too unwieldy anyway.

Here is what I did and what I suggest:

Create a new Category in Outlook called: Car (or BMW, or whatever, you get the idea). The assign the most often used Contacts to the Car Category. When you pair the BB with the BMW, only allow it to sync the Car Category. I forget exactly how I did this, but I know it can be done. You might have to change some setting in the BB to tell it which categories to sync. In this way, I ended up with only about 50 Phone Entries, which makes it much more useful in the car.

Of course, I then found that I did not like using the Bluetooth hands-free in the car, and preferred my headset, so I never pair in the car anyway. I also could not stand the delay while it pairs.

Good luck.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
MBW

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

How funny - it seems like the standard online support solution would be to replace the BMW.