BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 08:47 PM   #1
JMF0
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO
Default Purchasing a 7100v - How, Where??

Please Login to Remove!

I just purchased a 7100t but am disappointed in the keyboard. I like the keys more spread out like the 7100t. Nonetheless I saw where some folks are able to use their T-Mobile SIM Cards in the 7100v from Vodafone. I would like to do the same but have not been able to figure out how to purchase a 7100v without a service plan. Vodafone's site has an online store but they want you to buy a service plan.

Anyone out there already done this or have any information on how to....Any cost info as well?

THANKS!
jeff
Old 10-09-2004, 07:01 AM   #2
jeffmcclan
Thumbs Must Hurt

After owning a PocketPC XDAII (intended for the European market) and using it in the United States, I'm happy to have the 7100t and the corresponding technical support.

I am very happy with the 7100t and my first BB. Based on initial impressions, the Blackberry provisioning seems to be pretty involved and well implemented by TMobile. I am happy with the T keyboard but also noticed that the V keyboard seems to provide greater key spacing. I would not personally provision a V for Tmobile service but am interested in hearing about your experience (cost for unlocked V, how much hassle to provision for alternate carrier).
Old 10-09-2004, 08:59 AM   #3
JMF0
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

$450 with no contract from Vodafone. I am either ordering directly off the German site (I have asked for the direct link since all I see on the translated order page is options for ordering with a contract) or via another member of this forum who has the 7100v and is using T-Mobile Software on it.....which is what I intend to do so I can keep the IM application, etc....

It is my understanding that another person also just put in his Cingular SIM Card in the 7100v from German Vodafone and that it works fine on their network (the device appears to not be locked to the Vodafone network! at least the German one do not know about the UK Vodafone 7100vs). No change of software - he just chnged the device language from German to English....I may do this to start out with but I do not know if Vodafone supplies an IM Application....can always get one from a third-party I guess.....

Nonetheless it looks promising - The European Formfactor used here in the states....I really do think I will like the spread out keys better as it matches better with the previous spread keys on earlier BB models.....
Closed Thread