Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Default The End of RIM

Please Login to Remove!

The end of RIM | CanadianBusiness.com

Looks like RIM's business partners are even making jokes about their current situation.

Quote:
When a company is struggling, its business partners support it—or, at the very least, refrain from trashing it. Not so with Hugh Bradlow, chief technology officer for Australian telecom Telstra. At a speaking engagement in Hong Kong in June, Bradlow ruminated on the fate of Research In Motion, a key partner for his company. According to an industry trade publication, Bradlow told the crowd that if he were running RIM, he would “go to the 43rd floor and find a window.” He went on to say the most likely outcome for RIM is a sale.
P.S. - The title of the thread is the same as the article linked, not trying to start a flame war.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 08-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: The End of RIM

Oh boy. When your carriers start to joke about you..
Old 08-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Bradlow xxx8220;immediately apologized unreservedlyxxx8221; for his remarks

Yeah thats a problem with media, one joke and its RIM death.

Why? maybe they used a 7290 with an it policy blocking everything thinking this is how it is now on current devices.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Seems that North America has signed RIM's death certificate, while the rest of the world keeps buying BBs.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
cinchdfw

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I agree that the Americas are the only ones to try to drive the last nail into the coffin of RIM. I work for a German software company -- and VERY few of anyone in our company owns or trusts anything but a BB. The company certainly doesn't supply any other device than BB.

If BB10 turns out like I hope, RIM is far from dead, IMO. Speaking as someone that works in software, things can turn around more quickly than you think.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Speaking as an American, in the last quarter RIM had 4.8% of total smartphone sales GLOBALLY. They have a long way to go to climb out of this ditch. Falling from 11.4% to 4.8% is not a US only deal. And it's not a conspiracy. RIM isn't dead.

As someone who works in software, you also know how quickly things can go south - see Knight Capital...

Source - Worldwide market share for smartphones - Yahoo! Finance
Old 08-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
cinchdfw

True, they do have a LONG way to go. But two years ago, our company (which I will politely not name) was bleeding cash and about to be scraped of the board entirely. It only takes one good innovation...or one bad one to make or break you.

We'll see. Maybe they'll be bought out by a company that's able to stay up to date with trends while keeping the security that we need? I'd hate to think we all get issued company iPhones instead.....
Old 08-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
cinchdfw

But, worst case scenario and the ship sinks like a rock -- know of any REALLY good Android devices? I had a couple for personal use a couple years ago, but I'm sure they've come light years since then. Never had a Windows device, but they seem like the they'd be closer to what BB gives me.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I went to Windows Phone 7.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
cecr

Model: 8520
Carrier: O2

Well, as a new user who has been give a BB, all I can say is as a phone, they seem over rated. I accept the integration/synching of office emails to the phone works well, but actually using the phone is a poor experience with a level of sophistication far below many other brands and models. As far as the user whose company doesn't trust anything else.... well "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" is an apt phrase. I have come across many IT (and other) depts who refuse to change suppliers (despite every user demanding it) simply because they can't be bothered to learn new configurations/set ups, maintenance requirements etc. The fact that better equipment was available elsewhere for less money was less important than avoiding exposing their lack of ability to solve problems they hadn't met before. I'm not suggesting this is the case with his company though, just pointing out that technical superiority is not the only reason for sticking with a supplier.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecr View Post
Well, as a new user who has been give a BB, all I can say is as a phone, they seem over rated.
You are reviewing an old model and old OS like it is a current offering. No one here who can do better would want to use the 8520. But as I said in another thread, you most likely would not be happy with the latest BlackBerry either.

Quote:
I accept the integration/synching of office emails to the phone works well, but actually using the phone is a poor experience with a level of sophistication far below many other brands and models.
It is a poor experience for you. Fine. What's the point of whining about it all over the board.

Quote:
As far as the user whose company doesn't trust anything else.... well "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" is an apt phrase. I have come across many IT (and other) depts who refuse to change suppliers (despite every user demanding it) simply because they can't be bothered to learn new configurations/set ups, maintenance requirements etc. The fact that better equipment was available elsewhere for less money was less important than avoiding exposing their lack of ability to solve problems they hadn't met before. I'm not suggesting this is the case with his company though, just pointing out that technical superiority is not the only reason for sticking with a supplier.
The fact is you have no idea why some people and some businesses and organizations use BlackBerrys and continue to use BlackBerrys.

Maybe you are stuck now with hand me downs. When you are able, buy the device you want.

EDIT: I'm sure there are people who use the 8520 because they want to and because it works for them. No disrespect intended. But it proves my point further: To each his own.

Last edited by aiharkness; 08-11-2012 at 03:51 PM..
Old 08-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
cinchdfw

It isn't a matter of cost or of not wanting to learn another system for us. Our people are just convinced in the security of BB vs other devices.

I did go into BestBuy today to look around at other devices for personal use. The new Samsung selection is fancy and flashy, but honestly a bit too much so for my taste. I just don't need all that. I was interested in a Windows model (Lumia). It seemed more in pace with my needs. It seemed like a perfect fit for mail/contacts/calendaring. I'm not a media junky. I have no idea how it is in that arena.

Should the new BB not pan out, at least I know I have options that will suit my needs.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
cecr

Model: 8520
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinchdfw View Post
It isn't a matter of cost or of not wanting to learn another system for us.
I didn't say it was. In fact, I made a point of saying that it wasn't. My point was that many people/depts stick with things they know even when the users don't like what is provided. However, there is no denying such big falls in sales.

I've seen/used later models than mine, and seen OS7 in action, and they're not particularly impressive (to me) when considering what else is available. it isn't just me who thinks like that - my wife's company has just decided to get rid of them and are evaluating replacements. I know another company (a client) who will also replace them when their contract allows. Of course, I am sure someone here will know a company that has just decided to start using them, so the decisions of my contacts doesn't mean anything in itself.

Of course, some people will take exception to anyone criticising the love of their life, but when sales fall like they have, you can't hide from the facts for ever.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
cinchdfw

The love of their life? Seriously?

comic-book-guy-worst-post-ever.jpg
Old 08-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Love what you do
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

What on earth? Can someone tell me what can replace the Blackberry on the international scene? I happen to drive a "Big bus" to almost every country in the world and constantly marvel at the "other" device users trying to get emails while on the "road". Absolutely nothing I've seen takes the place nor security of the Blackberry. I turn my Blackberry on and have instant communication while the other guys keep fumbling around. Not to mention the huge roaming fees. By the way, I recently picked up the poorly received 9981 and enjoy it and the response I get immensely. The iPhone and Samsung have very neat features and my family enjoy them at home, but they don't compare to the dependability of my BB. Ok, let it fly......
Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #17
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

RIM's global market share of smartphone sales fell to 4.8% in the last quarter, as published by IDC.
RIM's stock price has dropped 75% in the past year, and over 90% in the last 4 years.

They are gambling the company on BB 10. Delays in getting their product finished means they are going to miss the holiday sales period, and new devices from Apple, Microsoft and the continuing mess of Android devices isn't going to wait for them.

They showed an operating loss in their last quarter on writedowns of unsold hardware (BB 7 devices and Playbooks). The next quarter (to be reported on the end of September) doesn't look to be much better.

Where's the good news? Will they fail? I don't think so - IF they deliver a fantastic, earth shattering BB 10 device. In early 2013.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #18
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

It's funny how mad people get when you talk about there praised device. And yes no matter what brand you use. I haven't used a BB in over a year and even I hope they do well. The more options out there the better. I would jump right back to a BB if it is going to be as good as everyone says I for one don't have any loyalty to one brand or another, they don't give anything to me for using them.