BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #21
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Yeah, I got that a lot too, "too difficult while driving" - why would anyone admit that?

Another person said "I almost got in an accident trying to enter a password while answering a call" - this was because she didn't update her OS when we told her to about 8 months back when we upgraded to BES 4.0...
*sigh* you can never win...!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:38 AM   #22
timay
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 208db57b
Carrier: O2

We run 10 minute time out, 6 characters (alpha numeric) password and lock on holstering
Old 10-18-2006, 05:51 AM   #23
SimonMac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: :(
PIN: Absent :(
Carrier: None :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by timay
We run 10 minute time out, 6 characters (alpha numeric) password and lock on holstering
Looks like its only the UK that take Secuirty Serious then
Old 11-14-2006, 08:41 AM   #24
chrisf9801

Model: Storm
Carrier: verizon

We run with a 30 minute idel timeout, 8-character complex password consisting of upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

Our devices are encrypted with 3DES keys and the user cannot modify the policy in any way.

I am all for security, if the user doesn't like the policy.....too bad.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:03 PM   #25
crosse

Model: 8700c

nvm. a little research and search function solved my problem. almost missed it though. thanks to the general bb community for having great knowledge over these great products.

Last edited by crosse; 11-24-2006 at 03:11 PM..
Old 11-28-2006, 09:51 AM   #26
Chrisv2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon & at&t
Default Here in DC

We have an 8 Char. PWD. (lowercase w/ numbers), 5 minutes timeout, and 5 tries to get it right before wipe occurs.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:20 AM   #27
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonMac
Looks like its only the UK that take Secuirty Serious then
I assume you're responsible for this lot - http://www.blackberry.com/products/pdfs/WYP_CS.pdf

therefore I'd hope you have a more restrictive password requirement than a regular business.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:43 AM   #28
twinkiefan

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by timay
Same for us, except we don't force lock on holstering and we enforce a 7 password history and force passwords to be changed every 90 days.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:15 PM   #29
mattk0
Thumbs Must Hurt

We set a max of 20 minute timeout but passwords have to be 8+ characters and contain at least 1 number - although always complaints about 'too many characters'....
Old 12-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #30
noniman

Model: 7250
Carrier: TELUS
Default same as desktop

What I would do is use the same time period as the users desktop computer if they have one. Hard to complain about that one.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:24 PM   #31
bxc@ovum.com

Model: 7290
Default 2 minutes

our BES IT policy is set to lock handheld after 2 minutes of inactivity. off course we have users who whine about but its in place for a reason.

i tell them sorry but there is nothing i can do as its IT policy. your users should be delighted as 10 minutes is pretty liberal.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:06 PM   #32
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

My users (and myself) get 20 minute timeout, 8 character alphanumeric w/number password. wipe after 5 wrong tries. No lock on holstering. I got some complaints, but my boss is really cool and they gave up after I told them to take it up with him.

Of course I have one user who has wiped her device three times in the last six months trying to get her password right and then she wiped someone elses BB when she got them mixed up!! I suspect it might be retaliation on her part, but I am not sympathetic ;)
BES 4.1
Old 12-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #33
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

My favorite is when they think they've set a password with digits, and it is actually a password with alpha characters...they get confused when they try to tether the device and enter the password on their PC keyboard. This is one of the main ways my users were accidentally wiping their devices!
Old 01-02-2007, 07:05 AM   #34
SimonMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertiebassett
I assume you're responsible for this lot - http://www.blackberry.com/products/pdfs/WYP_CS.pdf

therefore I'd hope you have a more restrictive password requirement than a regular business.
Guilty as charged
But still have the 1 Constant Headache?!?!

Old 01-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #35
SimonMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc_metal
My favorite is when they think they've set a password with digits, and it is actually a password with alpha characters...they get confused when they try to tether the device and enter the password on their PC keyboard. This is one of the main ways my users were accidentally wiping their devices!
Mine is when users are typing their password instead of their PIN number, we then get complaints that the keyboard is not working as its only accepting numbers!
But still have the 1 Constant Headache?!?!

Old 04-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #36
tibbymstie

Model: 7105T
Carrier: T-Mobile

Because of the "executives get whatever they want" policy we seem to have at our company, we have our timeout set to 60 mins (of course they can go lower if they want..)
However - in reply to some of the earlier posts..
Quote:
but the first time you try to unlock your 'company cell phone / blackberry' to place a call on a very long drive, most users realize that simplicty is absolutely essential. I suspect we don't have a great deal password of diversity.
We have the policy set to allow them to answer and make calls without the password set. Sure - that means that anyone who steals the phone can look at their recent calls, but if they're concerned about that they can always change it themselves.
Plus I agree totally with the setting - by the time I actually FIND my BBerry in my purse, I wouldn't have enough time to enter the password and still accept the call!!

Quote:
We also put the "Owner" message when the device is locked to show the users name, company name, and a msg saying if found please contact our 800 number for our helpdesk. I thought there was no way in hell we would ever get an honest person to call. But funny thing in 3 yrs we have had 5 devices lost that the person that found it called our helpdesk.
What a fabulous idea!! Thanks for sharing that tidbit of info..
However, as soon as the user calls to say that the phone is lost we're supposed to wipe the device, and with the test ones I've used I've never gotten that to work!!!
(Of course, that's a different thread - sorry!!)

Quote:
Another person said "I almost got in an accident trying to enter a password while answering a call" - this was because she didn't update her OS when we told her to about 8 months back when we upgraded to BES 4.0...
*sigh* you can never win...!
hahaha!
In one of my previous jobs, we had a user send us a NEWSPAPER CLIPPING showing his car all crunched up when he hit a light pole.
He said it was TOTALLY OUR FAULT because he was talking to our helpdesk and getting all upset that we couldn't fix his printer!
(Which also leads to the question of WHAT could we do to fix his printer while he was driving? Oh - besides wave that magical techsupport wand. I suppose we could've fixed the problem with his dishwasher at the same time!)

Anyway - it's funny to hear that there are apparently many irrational people out there..
Closed Thread