Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
Parker Rose
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular
Default Dynoplex "Eword" for the 8700c

Please Login to Remove!

Earlier today I went to the Dynoplex site, read the descriptions of the after-market software, and eventually purchased "eWord". Download and installation went without any problem. NB: I had activated the free 7-day trial of the WDH server option.

However, there was some trouble when I attempted to send an email with an eWord document attached. At first, I was told (by an error message appearing on the screen) that this was not possible because I did not have eWorks installed. I attempted to manually add a contact (from where the software purports to get the addressee for the email) and a similar message appeared.

When I selected the command "Use Once as Email" I was able to send the eWord document but the address was not saved in any eWord "Contacts" list.

I called the 24x7 support number on the Dynoplex site and spoke with a woman with a barely understandable Indian accent. She could not explain the errors relating to a "Contacts" list, but insisted that the only reason I could even send the attachment when using the "Use Once as Email" command was that I had in fact activated the WDH free trial and that I would not be able to continue send email with eWord documents attached if I did not subscripe to the WDH option.

I have been over the Dynoplex site carefully and see no reference at all to a WDH subscription being necessary to attach eWord documents to my email. The description of the eWord program specifically says it can be used to send email attachments with no reference at all to a WDH subscription.

Was the support person wrong? The program has little value if the documents created and edited in eWord cannot be sent without commitment to another service. And there is no mention of it at all on the Dynoplex site.

Has anyone any experience with this program? What's going on?

One final question: Ideally, it would be nice to simply go the BB address book, select a person to whom an email would be sent with an attachment, add the attachement and have everything go forward from there. But that does not seem to be possible. Is there a simple way to use the BB address book with eWord without a lot of hassle, or is there a simple way to send from within eWord without jumping though a myriad of "Contacts" hoops, etc.?

Thanks for any help...

Parker
Old 03-06-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
gadgetman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

This confirms my decision to buy a Cingular 8125 as a second phone. I thought Dynoplex might be the answer to the Word document problem, but it isn't. The 8700c is wonderful, but I need a second phone for all the things that the 8700c doesn't do, including:

Word
Excel
Camera (stills and video)
Client PDF support (although Repligo is very good for the BB)
Video and audio streaming (not great on the 8125 but better than nothing)

The 8125 is awful as a primary phone, but great as a second phone for doing the above.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Richardd

Dynoplex stinks. eWord also failed on my 8700c, and their customer service was the worst. I would have gladly paid to have had Word properly working on my 8700c. But Dynoplex is definitely not the answer.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
Knocka

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

I exchanged emails with a Dynoplex representative today because I was considering eOffice. He told me that the WDH Subscription service is necessary to send Word files (and I assume Excel and PDF files) as attachments AND to open the attachments. Here is my follow up questions to the representative and his answer:

Questions: "So if I understand you correctly, if I want to email a Word document I must have the annual subscription.
And, if I want to open a pdf or Word file, I must pay the annual subscription.
Are both those statements correct?"

Answer: "Yes, correct."

That means that on top of the purchase price, you must pay an annual fee. One year is included in the eOffice $199 purchase price.

Knocka
Old 03-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Try these:

http://www.cerience.com/products/pro...erry/index.htm

http://www.terratial.net/products/dochawk/index.htm
Old 03-16-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
sergeyd

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

Guys,

Let me jump in and clarify a couple of things.

First of all, you do need WDH to attach documents by e-mail. The reason is two-fold: a) the document needs to be converted from eWord to MS Word; and b) native BB e-mail transport does not support attachments. For this reason you cannot use BB native e-mail client and attach a document to it.

Now, eWord (and other eOffice apps) can save locally into eFile. You can also use a free eFile Desktop to synch with your PC running BBDM.

Next, eWorks is the program responsible for the interface with the BB contact list. So if you want to send e-mail and select a contact from Contacts - you need to have it installed. If you do not - you can type the e-mail manually.

And finally, we're taking customer service very seriously and provide 24x7 phone and e-mail free customer service, which very few companies do, because we believe it is important to have a good customer experience. If you have some feedback about the product and its features - we would love to hear from you.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 03-17-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I'd like to add my experience with dynoplex. Not having MS Office Apps out of the box like the PocketPC/Treo is a big disappointment, worse - no spell checker! I didn't like the idea of having to upload documents to a third party server either. No state secrets on my blackberry but I just like my privacy.

I tried eWord and once I got the hang of it, I thought it worked well. I didn't purchase it because to really do what I wanted would have required the $200 version with the subscription and that is just way too much money for the amount I'd be using it. I usually have a PocketPC or notebook with me anyway. I did purchase eSpell and it works fine.

In my experience with dynoplex they've provided fast and through tech support. I had two problems with eSpell and both were resolved same day via email. I don't work for them and only use one of their inexpensive products but just wanted to share my experience that they've provided me with good support.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
CarlSpackler
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: 30183C7D
Carrier: Verizon
Cool My Experience

I donloaded the Enterprise version to run a trial copy on a server for some test users. I got most features working except for network printing which probably would have been a great selling point to my boss. I called tech support to find out what I was doing wrong and told them what I had already done to get the printing to work (installed the network printer on the server running their product) and was told it should work... And was given no further suggestions.

I also asked about Arabic language support since a large majority of my users that having been asking for Office on the berries are Arab, and I was told they would get back to me. I never heard from them again.

Hopefully I can find a similar product that has better support.

Carl
Old 03-17-2006, 10:52 PM   #9
Parker Rose

Carrier: cingular
Default The Complete Story

When I started this thread, I was a little disenchanted with what I was up against with Dynoplex. However, I gradually worked things out. Here's what happened. (Oh, and for the record, I do not work for Dynoplex, RIM, or anything related.)

My first go-round with Dynoplex tech support was not a smashing success. The fellow with the heavy Indian accent quickly admitted he was a "newbie" and suggested I call back between 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. to speak with someone more knowledgeable. I did just that any spoke to someone who had a very good handle on everything.

Yes, a subscription to their server (about $40/year) was necessary. Why, I asked, wasn't that made clear on the Dynoplex site? He thought it was, checked and then admitted it wasn't very clear at all. He apologized and said that would be fixed.

He then spent a rather long time on the phone explaining the various options. It was either good salesmanship, or I was "easy" or - it was the right decision. Anyway, I opted for the full 9 yards, the eWorks Professional Office - Word, Excel, the year's subscription, eCell and a few other things. (About $200 all told, including the original purchase of eWord.)

I paid for it, downloaded and installed everything. There were a number of "bumps in the road" over the next few days about how to go about creating, editing and in general using these programs. Everything was handled with phone calls, and, to my pleasant surprise, handled very well.

I hardly consider myself an expert with this software, but I am starting to really like it. I turned out my first long document, created in eWord, emailed it to myself, touched it up a little on my laptop and it was terrific.

I am going on a business trip at the end of the month to Germany and Holland, and although I am not really secure enough to leave my laptop at my office for ten days, the BB 8700c with this software will make a tremendous difference.

The price is not insignificant, but with the exception of the annual server fee, it appears to be a one-time thing. The technical support is very good. Basically I am glad to have worked my way through this. For me, it was a very good decision.

That's it for now...
Old 03-20-2006, 09:20 PM   #10
Silentknight

Model: 7250
Carrier: Earthlink
Both of these require quarterly/annual subscriptions. Neither of them allow on-device document editing. I use eOffice. Some things I like, other things I definitely don't (if only you could see my email log to them). But I have found nothing else for a Blackberry that comes close, in functionality or in scope.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #11
sergeyd

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

I think I missed one question asked here: about Arabic support by CarlSpackler. The BB OS out of the box does not support Arabic. I think there are some developments by third parties and may be by RIM itself in this direction, but unless it is completed, we cannot do anything about it.

And thanks everybody for good words we will try to be better to more people in the future.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 03-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #12
davef

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSpackler
I also asked about Arabic language support since a large majority of my users that having been asking for Office on the berries are Arab, and I was told they would get back to me. I never heard from them again.
Carl,

RepliGo supports Arabic. Give it a try...
Closed Thread