Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
rpk98c

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Tube 2 New York City released

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Guys,

made a new post (as I couldn't find a way to change the title of my last one) to let you know Visual IT have just released Tube 2 NYC for BlackBerry.

As usual, all feedback much appreciated.

Regards,

Ryan
Old 03-28-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
TheBBerryGuy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: NEXTEL, SPRINT, TMO, CINGY

Link?

Or I guess I could just use google, eh?

Old 03-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
rpk98c

Google Visual IT and you should get our website.

Or the link without the dots is:-

www visualit co uk

Sorry, but I'm a new member here so can't post links.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
dougng

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMo

I just paid,downloaded and installed, but the serial number won't let me register

Email sent to customer service requesting help

Doug
Old 03-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
dougng

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMo

Got the new serial number! Thanks for your help! This program is great!
Old 03-28-2007, 11:30 PM   #6
don.new
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I paid, got an invoice and a code, but can't find the OTA download button.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:08 AM   #7
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I wouldn't call it great.

The upside is you get a scrollable subway map that, if you know your way around NYC, is handy.

The downside:
The map can't zoom in or out. You don't see any of the street names, just the street labels for the subway stops. Not bad in Manhattan but a problem in the other boroughs.

You can't enter your location "100 42nd Street" and have it locate that on the map or find the nearest stations. Instead you enter "42" and pick your location; it doesn't show you the borough so you can't easily see if the stop you picked is in Queens or Manhattan. You can't input a location like Port Authority Bus Terminal, you need to enter "42", "42nd" will give you an error. You should be able to enter the address and it locates the nearest stations or shows you where you are on a map. If you search for a street, "3" it will show you stations in all the boroughs, 36 St - 4 Av and 36 St - Northern Blvd aren't even close. If Ixxx8217;m on Williams Street in Manhattan and need to find the nearest train, I donxxx8217;t see how I would do it using the search. Again, if you know the city it isnxxx8217;t too bad.

Entering a search string is too many steps and getting back to the map takes too many. The (bb) back button doesn't work, you need to press the menu key and select back.

I'd say the trip planning needs work. Planning a trip from 42nd Street (Port Authority) to 96th and Lex, it had me take the A train one stop north , then the 1 train to 5th Ave (1 stop south), then the 7 train to grand central then the 6 train. In reality I would take the 7 or Shuttle to Grand Central and switch to the 6. I created a trip and canxxx8217;t seem to clear it.

Better than nothing for someone familiar with NYC but I donxxx8217;t think it would be useful if you were just visiting the city.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:15 AM   #8
rel12561
Thumbs Must Hurt

glad it's here finally. bummed that it doesn't use animation like the pocketpc version. also the search function for stations is odd. I concur with Michael's comments about the search...needs a bit more work...i too planned a trip and it had me hopping on and off trains in the oddest of locations when in fact the smartest route would have been the A train from 59th Street to Fulton/Broadway-Nassau. Instead, it put me on the 1 to 34th street and then had me transfer to the 2/3 to Fulton/William.
PIN 23F257DB

Last edited by rel12561; 03-29-2007 at 03:20 AM..
Old 03-29-2007, 06:55 AM   #9
rpk98c

Thanks for all the feedback.

In terms of serhing stations, you need to enter the start of the station (just the 1st letter will do) of the station you are looking for. Bringing up a list of all the stations available was a pain to scroll on a BB, and this method was used to reduce the list of options. However, in NY I take your point this isn't always intuitive as the station names often start wth numbers. I can think of a couple of fixes:-

1) Display stations that have the search string in them anywhere. E.G. If ou search for "man", you get all stations with the text "man" somewhere in them, instead of only stations starting "man".

2) Break the list down into sublists. E.G. You first get a list of every letter in the alphabet. Then if you select "C" you get a list of all stations beginning with "C". This may be good as no need to type text, and the lists will always be of a manageable size.

Your thoughts and other suggestions on this feature would be good?

Re the trip planning, can you check your trip options? To do this, goto Options on the Plan Trip screen. You can change ths following:-

- Quickest / Fewest - Quikest calclulates the quickest journey regardless of how many changes are needed. Fewest calculates, the quickest journey with s few changes as possible.

- Transfer time. This is the time added on for every change in the journey. So if you increase this, changes are less likely as it will slow the journey down.

- Time Zone. Make sure you have the correct time zone selected for when you want to take your journey.

Let me know if that improves the suggested journeys?

Re toggling the journey overlay, just select "Show / Hide Trip" from the main menu.

Please keep the feedback coming, as it's your comments that will really improve this product.

Cheers,

Ryan
Old 03-30-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
rel12561
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpk98c
Thanks for all the feedback.

In terms of serhing stations, you need to enter the start of the station (just the 1st letter will do) of the station you are looking for. Bringing up a list of all the stations available was a pain to scroll on a BB, and this method was used to reduce the list of options. However, in NY I take your point this isn't always intuitive as the station names often start wth numbers. I can think of a couple of fixes:-

1) Display stations that have the search string in them anywhere. E.G. If ou search for "man", you get all stations with the text "man" somewhere in them, instead of only stations starting "man".

2) Break the list down into sublists. E.G. You first get a list of every letter in the alphabet. Then if you select "C" you get a list of all stations beginning with "C". This may be good as no need to type text, and the lists will always be of a manageable size.

Your thoughts and other suggestions on this feature would be good?

Re the trip planning, can you check your trip options? To do this, goto Options on the Plan Trip screen. You can change ths following:-

- Quickest / Fewest - Quikest calclulates the quickest journey regardless of how many changes are needed. Fewest calculates, the quickest journey with s few changes as possible.

- Transfer time. This is the time added on for every change in the journey. So if you increase this, changes are less likely as it will slow the journey down.

- Time Zone. Make sure you have the correct time zone selected for when you want to take your journey.

Let me know if that improves the suggested journeys?

Re toggling the journey overlay, just select "Show / Hide Trip" from the main menu.

Please keep the feedback coming, as it's your comments that will really improve this product.

Cheers,

Ryan
I like options 1 and 2. But for search option 2 how about breakiing stations down by line, A, B,C D, E, F, N, R, W, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, L that way you have fewer categories. I don't know about other NYers here, but I always start with the train closest to me and then figure out where I need to go to connect to the others.

Is animation not possible on the BB like it is on the PocketPC?
PIN 23F257DB

Old 03-30-2007, 07:04 AM   #11
rpk98c

Quote:
I like options 1 and 2. But for search option 2 how about breakiing stations down by line, A, B,C D, E, F, N, R, W, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, L that way you have fewer categories. I don't know about other NYers here, but I always start with the train closest to me and then figure out where I need to go to connect to the others.
This would work well if you knew what line you were travelling on. I assume a lot of tourists would know the nearest station, say to the hotel, but not neccessarily the line.

Quote:
Is animation not possible on the BB like it is on the PocketPC?
It would be possible on the later devices, like the pearl, but it would be slow on older devices. Also, we were trying to find a more useful method than the animation. With the map overlay you can study it at your leisure, and flip between the map and the journey text. Saying that we could include both features if there is demand for it.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #12
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I hate to be a cynical New Yorker, but what can I say - native born and bred...Of course, if I could check out this version - OTA - without having to shell out $$$, maybe I'd have a different opinion...

Old 04-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #13
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

I guess what I'd like to see is the ability to type in an address, like with Google Maps, and have it locate me on the subway map or show me a list of nearby trains and how far each station is from where I am. Using GPS would be cool but you'd need to type it for the destination. I also look for the closest train station then figure out what connections I need to make.

I'd like to see the ability to zoom in and out of a map so I can see street names and easily figure out how to walk to the station.

When I do see the list of stations the bourogh should be shown in () or sorted by borough.

I'm not planning to use this software so I didn't try the trip planning suggestions. I doubt I'd use trip planning anyway. Is it possible to get a refund since there isn't a trial?

Regards-Michale G.
Closed Thread