Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 01:08 PM   #1
DavidE
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Cool T-Mobile Instant Messaging Application

Please Login to Remove!

T-Mobile is offering an Instant Messaging App as part of its 4.0 system download for the 7290. I decided to try it on my 7230. It runs fine, though given the program's 222k size, it's a much tighter fit for a 16MB 7230 than it would be for a 32MB 7290. It has a colorful interface and currently supports AOL Instant Messenger, ICQ, and Yahoo Messenger. Could this be the Instant Messaging application RIM announced earlier this week that will support AIM and Yahoo?

Here's the link: http://www.t-mobileapps.com/download...m?selDevice=14.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com
Old 03-19-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
mrogers

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Hmmm...I've been looking for a free IM application for my 7290 on Cingular and I tried this, but when I tried to sign onto AIM I got a nasty PIN email that said "14670 Unknown carrier Your message was:" followed by hundreds of random characters. I guess they don't want any other carriers using this, which makes sense I suppose, but how can the app tell which carrier you're on? Anyone know a way around this?
Old 03-19-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
Eric5273

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

Each carriers have their own SMS codes for AIM and Yahoo. If you go to the AIM website, they actually tell you the SMS codes so you can use AIM through SMS. Although it gets messy when you just use it out of regular SMS's. What T-Mobile's program simply does is interpret the information in the incoming and outgoing information and put it in a more graphical form so it looks like a regular AIM program. If you wanted that program to work on Cingular, someone would have to get into the code and change the SMS codes to work with Cingular's AIM & Yahoo SMS codes. The changes would probably be rather simple though. I would definately be interested in using such a program. After using Verizon's "Mobile IM" program with an LG phone for quite some time, I can tell you that SMS based IM programs are tons more reliable than GPRS-based ones, and also they do not use up any extra battery life when running in the background since they only process information when a SMS is received or sent. The only downside is that you have to purchase a SMS plan, but they are not that expensive.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #4
mrogers

Yeah and I bet I could make the changes to the code, but there's no way we're going to get the source code for that. Guess I'll just have to wait until RIM's AIM app comes out.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #5
DavidE

The opening screen does have the name "T-Mobile" featured prominently. Perhaps RIM is giving T-Mobile exclusive rights initially, in return for having the carrier selectively test-release the program. That's assuming this is the announced IM program from RIM. If it isn't, you have to wonder why T-Mobile would release it just prior to RIM's IM program.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com

Last edited by DavidE; 03-19-2005 at 03:07 PM..
Old 03-19-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
Eric5273

This could be a job for a programmer. A couple of years ago a HowardForums member did a UIQ Symbian program for the Sony-Ericsson P800 called "AIMKat" which basically used the SMS codes and put them in a regular AIM format. I suppose the same thing could be done with Yahoo. I would gladly purchase a program like this if someone was to make one. The best Idea would be a program in which you could enter your own carrier's AIM & Yahoo codes in the settings section. That way the program would not need to be carrier specific.

Here are the codes for various carriers on AIM:

http://mymobile.aol.com/portal/im/pd...User_Guide.pdf

And here are for Yahoo:

http://mobile.yahoo.com/messenger/smstour

(It appears that all the carriers use the same codes for Yahoo)
Old 03-20-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
Jak Crow

This version works perfectly on the 7100t, and fixes some of the issues people complained about with the original client.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:20 PM   #8
cakemaster

I have a 7230. Is IM free as part of the $20 data plan?
Old 03-20-2005, 08:16 PM   #9
DavidE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemaster
I have a 7230. Is IM free as part of the $20 data plan?

I assume so, since there's no indication when you download it that it's outside the data plan. I guess we won't know for sure until the next bill arrives.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com
Old 03-21-2005, 12:10 AM   #10
rhwd2003
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Now that I installed, I am getting this weird SIM card is full! Please delete some SMS messages. I have completely wiped everything out of my folders and I cant figure out why this keeps coming up. Does anybody know how to clear this?

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:40 AM   #11
mrogers

Go to Settings->SMS and make sure Leave Messages on SIM Card is set to No.

And perhaps while we're on the SMS options screen, someone can explain to me "Network to send over:". I can choose GSM, GPRS, or GPRS preferred. What's the difference? Why would I want to choose one over the other.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:03 AM   #12
rhwd2003
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

I have changed it to that, and it was already set to that and I am still getting the same problem. I have been on the phone with T-Mobile techs and they cant figure it out it has been over an hour on the phone.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:50 AM   #13
Eric5273

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogers
I can choose GSM, GPRS, or GPRS preferred. What's the difference? Why would I want to choose one over the other.
Some carriers allow you to send SMS messages over GPRS instead of over GSM. The advantage is if you have a data plan then it counts towards your data and will not be charged as a seperate SMS message. On the other hand, if you have a SMS plan and no data plan (not likely for a blackberry user), then you would choose GSM. Since GPRS is not available everywhere GSM is, some people may want to choose "GPRS preferred" meaning it will use GSM if GPRS is not available. If "GPRS" is chosen and no GPRS is available, then it will wait until GPRS is available before sending. However, some carriers do not allow SMS over GPRS. And also, incoming SMS will always be GSM so you will be charged for those.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:48 AM   #14
EWMALONEY

I am having the same problem. After installing the “IM” software I am getting a message that says the sim is full, I adjusted the sim settings but I am still encountering the same problem. If anyone has any solutions please reply. thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #15
vinniet

Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273
Some carriers allow you to send SMS messages over GPRS instead of over GSM. The advantage is if you have a data plan then it counts towards your data and will not be charged as a seperate SMS message. On the other hand, if you have a SMS plan and no data plan (not likely for a blackberry user), then you would choose GSM. Since GPRS is not available everywhere GSM is, some people may want to choose "GPRS preferred" meaning it will use GSM if GPRS is not available. If "GPRS" is chosen and no GPRS is available, then it will wait until GPRS is available before sending. However, some carriers do not allow SMS over GPRS. And also, incoming SMS will always be GSM so you will be charged for those.
I am located in NYC and I only have GSM. I get a error with the IM saying it only works with GPRS. Is there anything I can do to force it to GPRS? I thought before v4 I connected to GPRS but now I only see GSM. Did something change?

I have 7230 on TMO
Old 03-22-2005, 03:12 PM   #16
vinniet

Ok it works. Not sure why but the building has cell problems. Anyway I was able to log on with my 7230 on TMO. It works nice and notification works pretty good.

My only concern is if it works for SMS, I only get 500 a month. So I am not sure if I am being charged for both in & out. I thought I read above that inbound get charged and out my be charged.

I will have to keep a eye on any usage charges from TMO.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:37 PM   #17
BeerFox
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
I assume so, since there's no indication when you download it that it's outside the data plan. I guess we won't know for sure until the next bill arrives.
I was curious about that, since I'd used the T-Mo IM app (the Oz SMS-based one for the 7100t, which I'm guessing is nearly identical to the one in this thread?) for a little while before switching to VeriChat. My current billing info does show that I was charged 5 cents each for incoming/outgoing IMs; received ones just say 'Incoming', but outgoing are labeled with 'AIM' or 'Yahoo', so I know it's the messages from the IM app.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:38 PM   #18
kash
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t
Carrier: t-mobile

there any way to turn off teh sounds in the client?
Old 03-22-2005, 05:02 PM   #19
DavidE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerFox
I was curious about that, since I'd used the T-Mo IM app (the Oz SMS-based one for the 7100t, which I'm guessing is nearly identical to the one in this thread?) for a little while before switching to VeriChat. My current billing info does show that I was charged 5 cents each for incoming/outgoing IMs; received ones just say 'Incoming', but outgoing are labeled with 'AIM' or 'Yahoo', so I know it's the messages from the IM app.
Oz did develop the IM program that is the subject of this thread (Oz receives credit on the opening screen).

BeerFox, were you charged the 5 cents with the 7100t-Oz client? And is it the same with VeriChat?

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com
Old 03-22-2005, 06:47 PM   #20
vinniet

It seems that I get 300 SMS messages so I used 27 messages chatting with people in a hour. There does not seem to be a one for one for each IM messages. I know I did not IM people 27 times so some of the messages must be signing on and other activities.

If I like it I guess I can look at increasing the number of SMS messages I get or go with another product.

Last edited by vinniet; 03-22-2005 at 06:59 PM..
Closed Thread