BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
jabnjolt

Model: 7290
Default Switch Time Zones Automatically

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know what setting you set to have the blackberry device automatically update it's time zone? I have a user who works in the Eastern and Central time zones of the USA. He is in both time zones each week.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
mister.zero
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Not sure which carrier you're with, but I was recently led to believe by Sprint CS that the phone would automatically update whenever I crossed into a new time zone. I asked this question of them because I spent a week in Eastern (from Central) and the phone never updated to the correct time zone. I finally just switched it manually.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
jabnjolt

Model: 7290

we are with T-Mobile. I can get the device(network) time to update automatically, but it will not change the time zone. Right now the user is here in Dallas and the network time is correct. His calendar time is set to Eastern from when he was in New York. I chose to update time, but to no avail. The time zone is still Eastern, I can manually change it, but it will have to be done when he returns to New York. He travels back and forth every other day.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabnjolt
Does anyone know what setting you set to have the blackberry device automatically update it's time zone? I have a user who works in the Eastern and Central time zones of the USA. He is in both time zones each week.
Cannot do on the 7100t, for what it's worth. From what I remember reading on the board in the past, I gather this is the case on all models, though someone will correct me if I remember it wrong (or you could search). Anyway, FWIW, I think it is a good thing the way it is. (Put appointments in other time zones at the time in the zone the BB is currently set to. Then when you change the BB time zone, all appointment times adjust to the new BB zone (...am I making sense?)).
Old 07-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

Does anybody really know of any cell phone that actually changes time zone automatically? One without integrated GPS? I have had Cellphones for upwards of 16 years now and have yet to see one. I really don't see the advantage, especially for people that live and work on the time zone limits. I like the way BB handles Time Zones in the same maner as Outlook. It really keeps things straight.

Just my $0.02
Rcbjr
Old 07-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
djdanska
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbjr
Does anybody really know of any cell phone that actually changes time zone automatically? One without integrated GPS? I have had Cellphones for upwards of 16 years now and have yet to see one. I really don't see the advantage, especially for people that live and work on the time zone limits. I like the way BB handles Time Zones in the same maner as Outlook. It really keeps things straight.

Just my $0.02
Rcbjr
Many if not most gsm cell phones can change the time zones automatically. It's called nitz. (Network Initiated Time Zone) I know t-mobile rolled it out last year (but may have to be turned on via the phone's settings.) and i had it with attws. Not sure about cdma phones. This is my first phone that doesn't change the time zones.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Just my two cents, and as it's already been mentioned, when dealing with a PIM or Calendar, especially with wireless synchronization enabled, it'd be VERY BAD to change the time zone, unless you've actually moved to a new time zone. Let's put it this way, you change the time zone on your BlackBerry, and it adjusts the Calendar appointments to a new time. This synchronizes back to your mailbox and all of your appointments are now set to the new time ...but the same time zone as it was previously.

And let's not even mention people like myself who live less than 5 minutes from the next time zone ...ugh! I switch back and forth in two time zones no less than 10-15 times per week.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Just my two cents, and as it's already been mentioned, when dealing with a PIM or Calendar, especially with wireless synchronization enabled, it'd be VERY BAD to change the time zone, unless you've actually moved to a new time zone. Let's put it this way, you change the time zone on your BlackBerry, and it adjusts the Calendar appointments to a new time. This synchronizes back to your mailbox and all of your appointments are now set to the new time ...but the same time zone as it was previously.

And let's not even mention people like myself who live less than 5 minutes from the next time zone ...ugh! I switch back and forth in two time zones no less than 10-15 times per week.
I learned this the hard way when I first got my BB. I thought my BB was "faulty" at first then figured it out. My BB is like my PC. If I change my time on my PC, then any appointments I make will be in that new time and all existing ones will follow.

When you all travel to other Time Zones, what do you do? Keep the time as is and then manually calculate?
Old 07-11-2006, 12:20 AM   #9
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

I did this also, took a trip to NC. I ended up deleting the BB calander, fixing outlook the turning the wireless calander sync back on. I don't change it now.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernox

When you all travel to other Time Zones, what do you do? Keep the time as is and then manually calculate?
I keep the time zone constant and change the time.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #11
mister.zero
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

I was of a completely different mindset than most folks, I guess. My agency is way too cheap to ever send me to a different timezone, so I was thinking about vacation, during which times my whole calendar could start breakdancing of its own accord and I could care less

As far as self-updating phones, someone I was traveling with to a different time zone proudly waved their phone under my nose, demonstrating that their phone had automatically adjusted. I'm assuming that theirs was a GSM phone, and mine (not being GSM) will probably never do so, as djdanska pointed out earlier.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #12
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
I keep the time zone constant and change the time.
How does this affect your calendar? Everything stays the same from the original timezone?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:18 PM   #13
endodoc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

My verizon phone changes, non BB that is.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:43 AM   #14
WSNBM/ONBP

Model: 8700r

you can have your crackberry change timezones automaticly but having DTS and telling it to update automaticlly. I did it with the 8700r no problem

authorize rogers wireless dealer
Old 07-15-2006, 07:39 AM   #15
rcbjr

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSNBM/ONBP
you can have your crackberry change timezones automaticly but having DTS and telling it to update automaticlly. I did it with the 8700r no problem

authorize rogers wireless dealer
---

Are you saying that your 8700 will automatically change the time zone when travelling? Or that it automatically updates to DST and back?

Thanks for your Help.
Rcbjr
Old 07-15-2006, 08:47 AM   #16
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

A BlackBerry that automatically changes Time Zones.
Really.... WSNBM/ONBP - more information please.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:48 AM   #17
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbjr
---

Are you saying that your 8700 will automatically change the time zone when travelling? Or that it automatically updates to DST and back?

Thanks for your Help.
Rcbjr
What is DST?
Old 07-15-2006, 09:55 AM   #18
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

DST = Daylight Savings Time

Last edited by aiharkness; 07-15-2006 at 09:59 AM..
Old 07-15-2006, 09:58 AM   #19
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Except that makes no sense whatsoever in the context of changing time zones automatically.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #20
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness
DST = Daylight Savings Time
Oh I thought it was new Drunken Sailor There software that made your BB look like it changed time zones.
Closed Thread