Old 04-05-2006, 08:41 AM   #1
blackberry7750
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Default [2006-04-05] RIM to add Yahoo Web services to BlackBerry

Please Login to Remove!

Found on Yahoo News
By Sue Thomas

Research In Motion (Toronto:RIM.TO - news) (NYSE:RIMM - news) will put such Yahoo Inc. (Nasdaq:YHOO - news) Web offerings as search, e-mail, instant messaging, and news on its BlackBerry devices, and will start rolling out the service in 60 countries in about two weeks, the two companies said on Wednesday.

The deal greatly expands RIM's relationship with Yahoo, the operator of one of the Web's most-visited sites. Waterloo, Ontario-based RIM is seeking to widen its sales to include everyday consumers and enhance services to its existing, mostly corporate, base.

"Our job is to create a rich user experience for our community so that they want to use Yahoo on it, and hopefully we create such a rich experience for the Yahoo community that they want to buy a BlackBerry and run Yahoo on it," RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie said in an interview with Reuters.

The two companies, who already offer a limited Yahoo service, did not say how much the deal is worth, but Marco Boerries, senior vice-president of Yahoo Connected Life, described it as "significant."

"We have 200 million mail users worldwide, and we're using that user base of Yahoo to connect them to the premier device today," Boerries told Reuters.

Parts of the service, including Yahoo's instant messaging and communications service, will be rolled out to new and existing BlackBerry users over the next two weeks, as RIM starts making it available to 160 carriers in 60 countries.

The Yahoo Go service, which includes real-time access to Yahoo's community information and content services, will follow later this year, Boerries said.

"This is killer," Boerries said. "The cool thing about this is that in the same way we now seamlessly connect personal communications, your personal address book to the BlackBerry, we also connect personal information you are already using on Yahoo, like sports, news or weather."

He warns that it could make the BlackBerry, dubbed the "crackberry" because it is so addictive, even more habit forming.

Some new devices will have Yahoo preinstalled, and existing users will use a bookmark on their BlackBerrys to install the application.

The deal adds to Yahoo's ongoing program to extend its services beyond the personal computer to mobile customers and into homes.

The California-based company announced a similar deal with wireless phone maker Motorola (NYSE:MOT - news) last year, and is working on others with U.S. phone partners AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T - news) and Cingular Wireless.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
jleadbeater

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default RIM to add Yahoo Web services to BlackBerry

What does this announcement mean for a Cingular 8700 user? This was announced today by Rim and Yahoo.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

can you provide a link, maybe?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
Dexobie

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

RIM to add Yahoo Web services to BlackBerry
Wednesday 5 April 2006, 0:01am EST
Printer Friendly | Email Article | Reprints | RSS

By Sue Thomas

TORONTO, April 5 (Reuters) - Research In Motion (RIM.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) (RIMM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) will put such Yahoo Inc. (YHOO.O: Quote, Profile, Research) Web offerings as search, e-mail, instant messaging, and news on its BlackBerry devices, and will start rolling out the service in 60 countries in about two weeks, the two companies said on Wednesday.

The deal greatly expands RIM's relationship with Yahoo, the operator of one of the Web's most-visited sites. Waterloo, Ontario-based RIM is seeking to widen its sales to include everyday consumers and enhance services to its existing, mostly corporate, base.

"Our job is to create a rich user experience for our community so that they want to use Yahoo on it, and hopefully we create such a rich experience for the Yahoo community that they want to buy a BlackBerry and run Yahoo on it," RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie said in an interview with Reuters.

The two companies, who already offer a limited Yahoo service, did not say how much the deal is worth, but Marco Boerries, senior vice-president of Yahoo Connected Life, described it as "significant".

"We have 200 million mail users worldwide, and we're using that user base of Yahoo to connect them to the premier device today," Boerries told Reuters.

Parts of the service, including Yahoo's instant messaging and communications service, will be rolled out to new and existing BlackBerry users over the next two weeks, as RIM starts making it available to 160 carriers in 60 countries.

The Yahoo Go service, which includes real-time access to Yahoo's community information and content services, will follow later this year, Boerries said.

"This is killer," Boerries said. "The cool thing about this is that in the same way we now seamlessly connect personal communications, your personal address book to the BlackBerry, we also connect personal information you are already using on Yahoo, like sports, news or weather."

He warns that it could make the BlackBerry, dubbed the "crackberry" because it is so addictive, even more habit forming.

Some new devices will have Yahoo preinstalled, and existing users will use a bookmark on their BlackBerrys to install the application.

The deal adds to Yahoo's ongoing program to extend its services beyond the personal computer to mobile customers and into homes.

The California-based company announced a similar deal with wireless phone maker Motorola (MOT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) last year, and is working on others with U.S. phone partners AT&T Inc. (T.N: Quote, Profile, Research) and Cingular Wireless.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
jmcmullen

Model: 8310
PIN: 206527C9
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

most say that this means very little to me and most people I know.. Can't remember the last time I used (if ever) yahoo messager, the only reason I have a Yahoo Mail Account is becasue my rogers is partnered with yahoo for their internet..

Now if this story was about Rim and MSN.... Then I think it would help sales a bit more then say Yahoo...
Old 04-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
robnick2

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I wonder if the Yahoo! release for Cingular will be paired with a BIS upgrade. Does anyone have any information on this?
Old 04-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
SMorganPhoto
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: 31C7D62A
Carrier: Verizon

Doesn't do much for me, I don't use nor do I know any one that uses Y!

Feel free to add me to BB Messenger!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Come on, RIM. You need to partner with Google.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #9
blackberry7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
Come on, RIM. You need to partner with Google.
i agree...but Google Local & Google Talk are already available
Old 04-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #10
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry7750
i agree...but Google Local & Google Talk are already available
True, but I'm talking about full email sync with Gmail, like T-Mo and Yahoo! have right now. That's what we need.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #11
blackberry7750

of course...how could i forget about gmail - that would be AWESOME.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #12
aphr0deity
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mo

Based on pure speculation, I would think RIM and Google have definite plans to partner up in the future. Like you all said, Google Talk and Google Local are already available, but technically speaking Gmail is still in Beta... so maybe once they roll out the "final product"...

Did anyone notice Google's new finance section?
Old 04-05-2006, 02:22 PM   #13
FightingDevil
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
True, but I'm talking about full email sync with Gmail, like T-Mo and Yahoo! have right now. That's what we need.
This would be true email nirvana for me!!

And especially if we can get a calendar sync with either Yahoo or Google..
Old 04-11-2006, 07:11 AM   #14
bb4lfe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Anymore news on the topic, which is yahoo services, particularly YahooIM for Verizon?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:29 AM   #15
Getup1995
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4lfe
Anymore news on the topic, which is yahoo services, particularly YahooIM for Verizon?
Not available yet. VZW CSR said "sometime". VZW is always one of the last carriers to offer new services. There is a Yahoo Messenger mobile ver under the "searches/portals section of
w w w.blackberry.com/mobile/help/vzw page. (Sorry for the spaces, can't post links yet.) I have not been able to send messages with this ver. I can reply when someone sends me a message, however i can not compose a new message.

Has anyone found a work around for this?

You can check w w w. blackberry.com\yahoodownload for updates.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #16
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleadbeater
What does this announcement mean for a Cingular 8700 user? This was announced today by Rim and Yahoo.
I use the Yahoo maps and find it quite accurate, on my 8700c.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:32 AM   #17
tricomwireless

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

RIM needs to partner up with AOL to make a official IM client. Whatever happened with the announcement made last year about RIM putting in AIM & YM on Blackberry's???

Sadly, I gave up my Blackberry for a SK2 because of the AIM client. I know there are many IM clients for BB, but nothing compares to the SK2.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:12 PM   #18
Getup1995
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricomwireless
RIM needs to partner up with AOL to make a official IM client. Whatever happened with the announcement made last year about RIM putting in AIM & YM on Blackberry's???

Sadly, I gave up my Blackberry for a SK2 because of the AIM client. I know there are many IM clients for BB, but nothing compares to the SK2.
I agree! Don't know that i would give up my BB for it.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:41 PM   #19
ashaman

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcmullen
most say that this means very little to me and most people I know.. Can't remember the last time I used (if ever) yahoo messager, the only reason I have a Yahoo Mail Account is becasue my rogers is partnered with yahoo for their internet..

Now if this story was about Rim and MSN.... Then I think it would help sales a bit more then say Yahoo...

I have a lot of friends that Yahoo Messenger is as high-tech as they've gotten. It is nice to get a message or two from them while dealing all of the turbulent world at work.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #20
ntjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getup1995
I agree! Don't know that i would give up my BB for it.
Yea, ditto. I'd love a built-in IM client, but give up my BB for it? Mmmmmm....don't think so. You can get Verichat for like $40 a year, and then theres Ramble and some others, too.