Old 05-10-2009, 06:19 AM   #1
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Gokivo free GPS App from Appworld

Please Login to Remove!

I am really surprised I see no discussion about the FREE Gokivo GPS app available available on the BB Appworld.

I did a search for Gokivo on this forum and 0 hits.

What a great FREE app. TBT w/voice included. Appworld says free "60 day trial" but nowhere does it mention what the cost would be after 60 days. Nothing mentioned on their website either. I have tried all the freebies and "free 7 day trial" of commercial GPS apps but I like this the best.

Anyome know anything about this including what pricing will be?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Give us a review........ What do you like about it?

I'm just curious. Don't know anything about it.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
bsachais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

From the Gokivo site:

"Cost

Q: How much does Gokivo Navigator cost?

A: Gokivo Navigator is offered as a free trial until May 31st 2009. You will then be required to purchase the product from the BlackBerry App World on your device to continue using it. Pricing details will be announced prior to the end of the trial period."
Old 05-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
r_ss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: PM me if needed
Carrier: Rogers

I've did a search on App World - No Results Found.
Please post OTA link
Old 05-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

Probably no discussion since noone has heard of them before. I try most every GPS app out there (except subscription based apps).

They have download instructions available at I Want It - Gokivo. It appears to be available only for the Bold but I winder if it will work on the Curve ...
Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
ah2819
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile US

I'm downloading it now. This thing is huge - 2.2MB. I think that's the biggest app I have seen so far.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:37 AM   #7
ah2819

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_ss View Post
I've did a search on App World - No Results Found.
Please post OTA link
I had no trouble finding it on App World. The gokivo website says that it is only available on the Bold, and only through App World. If you don't have a Bold (your profile says you do) you probably won't see it.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:49 AM   #8
ah2819

I have been using Gokivo a little bit today. Overall I am impressed with what I have seen so far, but I haven't had a chance to use it for any serious navigation yet.

The user interface looks similar to amazegps initially, but user input is more customized for the blackberry. A lot of the menu interface can be controlled using only the trackball. Up and down movements of the trackball move up and down as expected, a right flick of the trackball selects a menu item, and a left flick goes back to a previous menu. I think I have read that this is how is how the Storm's UI works, but it feels strange (at first) on the Bold.

Route choice seems to be better than what I have seen in nav4all and amazegps. For a short local trip that these programs have had problems with, gokivo picked the same route that I would have selected myself. It is difficult to look at the complete route on the map to get a better idea of the selection that gokivo has made. You can show the complete trip, zoom in and zoom out, but scrolling around the map using the trackball is very slow.

One nice feature is that gokivo will tell you the street name during navigation instructions. I don't think I have seen this in any of the free programs. The pronunciation is pretty good for the street names that I have heard it say so far.

Gokivo can also use traffic information to influence its route selection. I haven't had a chance to try this out yet.

Map coverage in the version that I downloaded from app world is limited to the US and Canada. The gokivo website shows coverage of Western Europe as well, but I don't see any support for Europe in the version that I downloaded.

Finally, I don't see any mention in the app that this is just a trial version. There was a brief mention of it being a free trial in the app world description, but I can't find any more information in the app itself or on the gokivo website.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
JW021979
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: O2 UK

I cant get find it om Appworld. I am using a Bold and it isnt finfing it when i search.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
tmoney83
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 20980A69
Carrier: At&T

got and i like it. i hope i can keep it for free. i dont like to pay much for a GPS
Old 05-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
tannis00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 7280)

I found it on App World and downloaded it, but the part in the EULA about collecting and storing, and processing of personal data (including location data) was a little bit too open for my taste. I stopped there and removed the app.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #12
[IFC]Area51

Model: 9650
PIN: GU!!!
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah2819 View Post
I have been using Gokivo a little bit today. Overall I am impressed with what I have seen so far, but I haven't had a chance to use it for any serious navigation yet.

The user interface looks similar to amazegps initially, but user input is more customized for the blackberry. A lot of the menu interface can be controlled using only the trackball. Up and down movements of the trackball move up and down as expected, a right flick of the trackball selects a menu item, and a left flick goes back to a previous menu. I think I have read that this is how is how the Storm's UI works, but it feels strange (at first) on the Bold.

Route choice seems to be better than what I have seen in nav4all and amazegps. For a short local trip that these programs have had problems with, gokivo picked the same route that I would have selected myself. It is difficult to look at the complete route on the map to get a better idea of the selection that gokivo has made. You can show the complete trip, zoom in and zoom out, but scrolling around the map using the trackball is very slow.

One nice feature is that gokivo will tell you the street name during navigation instructions. I don't think I have seen this in any of the free programs. The pronunciation is pretty good for the street names that I have heard it say so far.

Gokivo can also use traffic information to influence its route selection. I haven't had a chance to try this out yet.

Map coverage in the version that I downloaded from app world is limited to the US and Canada. The gokivo website shows coverage of Western Europe as well, but I don't see any support for Europe in the version that I downloaded.

Finally, I don't see any mention in the app that this is just a trial version. There was a brief mention of it being a free trial in the app world description, but I can't find any more information in the app itself or on the gokivo website.
You're absolutely right,

I was wondering myself why no one has noticed this application until i stumbled onto this.

Me being a GPS freak (since i use it for work everyday), coming from amAzeGPS, nav4all, google maps (which i use to give me general ideas and surroundings) and last but not the least Telmap Navigator (which i payed a subscription on) where some of the programs i tried.

Depending on pricing for this application after the trial ends, i will go back to telmap navigator but if its cheaper on a month to month basis or if i can buy it for a one time fee then ill transition.

The pronunciations are indeed better than all the above mentioned programs i just named, it has great features like GPS weather, more language selections and the side volume keys work for volume (not all the other GPS applications get this area right) which is so convenient.

The only thing i have noticed missing its lets say, gas stations dont show up on the screen navigation like Telmap Navigator did, in other words POI's, Point Of Interests.

It is way bigger in size than telmap by 1GB.

Overall i like it and if its "cheaper its a keeper".
8100|8300|8310|8320|8900|9000|9700|9650
Old 05-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #13
badczech

Carrier: att

I downloaded this for by Bold a few weeks ago and used it to navigate to place I haven't been before. Works great, turn by turn, good voice, good re-calculation. I can pick up addresses from my contacts and navigate to them. Interfaces with the 9000 very well.

Don't know what the cost will be. Only need GPS rarely and don't need to spend $10 per month. Saw the free period after 5/31/09 will end. Interesting to see what they think this app is worh
Old 05-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
waichai

howcome i don't see it in App World, i tried to uninstall and reinstall app world several time, and still doesn't show up. Did they pull it out from App World. Need help. Thanks
Old 05-30-2009, 12:43 AM   #15
ah2819

It is still showing up in App World for me. Your profile shows that you have a 9000 on AT&T (same as me). Is your Bold an AT&T Bold, or an unlocked Bold from another carrier? The Gokivo website says that is only available for AT&T and O2.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #16
waichai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah2819 View Post
It is still showing up in App World for me. Your profile shows that you have a 9000 on AT&T (same as me). Is your Bold an AT&T Bold, or an unlocked Bold from another carrier? The Gokivo website says that is only available for AT&T and O2.
Thanks for Reply,
My bold is from ATT and Unlocked, maybe cuz i debrand it and it show different vendor ID. Maybe that's a reason why it doesn't show up.

Last edited by waichai; 05-30-2009 at 11:03 AM..
Old 06-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #17
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, it's June 8th and it's still free & working and there is still no mention of any pricing.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #18
richardmonk

My wife just switched off from a Verizon phone and the "Verizon Navigator" software on the KRZR and this are made by the same group (NIM) and are -extremely- similar. The Verizon one was pretty good, although its "recalulating route" can get irritating when the GPS is a bit off and it thinks you're not on a road.

I'm testing the BB version and it seems to be practically the same app, which I think is a good thing as I liked the Verizon one.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #19
[IFC]Area51

Model: 9650
PIN: GU!!!
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
Well, it's June 8th and it's still free & working and there is still no mention of any pricing.
I hope they don't just start charging my AT&T account, hence why the input your cell number at initial install and hence why AT&T and 02 subscribers.

I'll be pissed.
8100|8300|8310|8320|8900|9000|9700|9650
Old 07-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #20
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I have yet to see any software company that can bill your at&t account. The at&t navigator, AFAIK, is the only one that can be billed to your account.
Closed Thread