Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
ajr21

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default Disable receiving email for periods of time

Please Login to Remove!

I would like to disable receiving email during the work day and at night. Is there na area I can set where it will auto turn off email? I'm a part of so many forums and while I do not need them all I still grab various info and tidbits from several... I don't want to unsubscribe becayuse my blackberry is vibrating every few minutes.

so my main question is, can i disable email reception from 8am-5pm and then maybe from 11pm-5am ? during the week and leave it 100% on the weekends?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

So basically you don't want to receive your e-mails? Why have the device then?

Anyway, there isn't an automatic way, but you can do it manually.

1. Open Messages
2. Click the Menu button and go to Options
3. Click Email Settings
4. Select the appropriate message service from the drop-down
5. Change Send Email to Handheld to "No"
6. Repeat for any other accounts
Old 04-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
ajr21

haha i love it!!!! but having to check it so often is becoming a killer and when i delete emails on my computer at work the storm doesnt appear to recognize they were deleted until several hours later... if it recognized within 15-20 minutes I would be much more appreciative of the awesomeness.

thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr21 View Post
haha i love it!!!! but having to check it so often is becoming a killer and when i delete emails on my computer at work the storm doesnt appear to recognize they were deleted until several hours later... if it recognized within 15-20 minutes I would be much more appreciative of the awesomeness.

thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind.
Who is providing your e-mail service? With Gmail, my messages have always reconciled in minutes.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
ajr21

haha well speak of the devil, gmail must not like me. but when i delete an email on gmail is usually doesnt come off my phone till hours later... at first i thought it didnt but then on my commute home they all disappeared (I havent had a lot of time to play with it until today)

but even now... there are 18 emails on my storm and 2 in my gmail.... I'm currently on the 1XEV network... i havent read the legends of different networks so I dont know if that is a 'roaming' one or not.... could that be the reason why?

thanks for the crazy fast replies btw!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
haha well speak of the devil, gmail must not like me. but when i delete an email on gmail is usually doesnt come off my phone till hours later... at first i thought it didnt but then on my commute home they all disappeared (I havent had a lot of time to play with it until today)

but even now... there are 18 emails on my storm and 2 in my gmail.... I'm currently on the 1XEV network... i havent read the legends of different networks so I dont know if that is a 'roaming' one or not.... could that be the reason why?

thanks for the crazy fast replies btw!
No, you are not roaming unless you see a triangle at the top of the screen or it says "Roaming" or "Extended Network" instead of "Verizon Wireless".

Have you set up BIS to use IMAP for Gmail? If you're not, that is probably the reason for the slow reconciliation.

You're welcome.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
ajr21

okay I thought I setup BIS to use IMAP (I have pop disabled) is there something else that I'm missing... the how-to i googled just pointed me to googles tutorial which says to follow the phones steps....

yesterday i had an uncaught.exception.java.lang.illegalstateException error. but it appeared to not change anything and it seemed harmless

would completely recreating the gmail account on my storm fix it? (I dont remember if i had to select an imap step or not)

also, when i click reconcile now nothing changes, although it appears in the top right the 'sending' data arrows are moving back and forth a few times.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
okay I thought I setup BIS to use IMAP (I have pop disabled) is there something else that I'm missing... the how-to i googled just pointed me to googles tutorial which says to follow the phones steps....

yesterday i had an uncaught.exception.java.lang.illegalstateException error. but it appeared to not change anything and it seemed harmless

would completely recreating the gmail account on my storm fix it? (I dont remember if i had to select an imap step or not)

also, when i click reconcile now nothing changes, although it appears in the top right the 'sending' data arrows are moving back and forth a few times.
I would try re-creating it. There are very specific steps to get BIS to use IMAP.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
ajr21

no luck for now, i just tried the following from another forum:

CrackBerry User
Device Model: 9530 (Storm)
Carrier: Verizon

Ok I didn't read the whole thread, but this is what I had to do also since the other directions didn't work for me either. Again this may have been posted, but Im not reading all that.....hope this helps.

I had problems using the above directions. The following directions worked for me:
After making sure Gmail is set with IMAP enabled in your Gmail settings,
On the blackberry, Select the Email Settings Icon and sign in.
Select the ADD button.
do NOT select Gmail. Instead, select OTHER.
in the Email Address.. fill in a bogus email address (like [email address])
in the Password field, fill in anything for a password
Click Next.
You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure…" Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
Select Personal Email, then Next.
In the 'Email Address:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com').
In the 'User Name:' Field, enter the portion of your email address before the "@" (i.e. don't include the @gmail.com)
Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next.
Click Next.
You'll see "processing, please wait…" while it sets things up.
If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
You'll be brought back to the page showing your accounts. Select your Gmail account.
scroll down, Fill in 'your name:' with how you want your name displayed. .
check the box for synchronise deleted items between…

some people claimed success but I'm still going nowhere.....

also it's not marking my emails as read when they are... isnt that the purpose of IMAP???

hmpf is there a wireless option to turn on and off anywhere that I'm not seeing in these settings? maybe a permission problem on the phone side?
Old 04-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
no luck for now, i just tried the following from another forum:

CrackBerry User
Device Model: 9530 (Storm)
Carrier: Verizon

Ok I didn't read the whole thread, but this is what I had to do also since the other directions didn't work for me either. Again this may have been posted, but Im not reading all that.....hope this helps.

I had problems using the above directions. The following directions worked for me:
After making sure Gmail is set with IMAP enabled in your Gmail settings,
On the blackberry, Select the Email Settings Icon and sign in.
Select the ADD button.
do NOT select Gmail. Instead, select OTHER.
in the Email Address.. fill in a bogus email address (like [email address])
in the Password field, fill in anything for a password
Click Next.
You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure…" Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
Select Personal Email, then Next.
In the 'Email Address:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com').
In the 'User Name:' Field, enter the portion of your email address before the "@" (i.e. don't include the @gmail.com)
Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next.
Click Next.
You'll see "processing, please wait…" while it sets things up.
If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
You'll be brought back to the page showing your accounts. Select your Gmail account.
scroll down, Fill in 'your name:' with how you want your name displayed. .
check the box for synchronise deleted items between…

some people claimed success but I'm still going nowhere.....

also it's not marking my emails as read when they are... isnt that the purpose of IMAP???

hmpf is there a wireless option to turn on and off anywhere that I'm not seeing in these settings? maybe a permission problem on the phone side?
Those settings have worked fine for me, and messages are marked as read.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
ajr21

well when i read on my phone its read on my gmail same for deleting.

but when i do things on my gmail it doesn't recognize it... I'm going to try calling verizon tomorrow maybe they have some type of walkthrough or something.

thanks for all of your help!!!
Closed Thread