texnhawk

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default This Still works like a Champ!

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblount View Post
Many of our users (with several different Blackberry models) are also experiencing repeated crashes since the upgrade to Desktop Manager 4.2sp1, which we installed as part of the US Daylight Saving change. Once the software crashes, the sync will not work again for that user (typically hanging on the same Outlook calendar entry) until something drastic is done. We've gone as far as uninstalling Desktop Manager, removing related folders and Registry entries, then reinstalling. No matter the method of correction, the problem resurfaces again soon. I'm hoping for a better answer, but for now, I've advised my users of the following steps that they can take:

Connect the Blackberry and open Desktop Manager (your shortcut could be named something else.)
As soon as you have the option, click Cancel to stop the automatic synchronization.
Double-click the "Backup and Restore" icon in Desktop Manager.
Click the "Advanced" button.
On the right side, under "Device Databases", select Calendar,
then click the "Clear" button.
Click OK to confirm deletion of the entire calendar on the Blackberry (no effect in Outlook.)
Click "Close" twice.
Double-click the "Synchronize" icon in Desktop Manager, then click the "Synchronize now" button.
Click "Close" and exit the Desktop Manager.
I'm running a BB Pearl on 4.6. I've deleted folders, upgraded Desktop manager to 4.6 and have still been messing with this problem for 2-3 weeks. I came across this post and it worked like a champ. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #42
deek21

Model: 8103
Carrier: verizon
Unhappy continuing problem

I'm ready to throw in the towel on this Pearl. I have never, in the entire 18 months I've owned this thing - regardless of DM version (I have the latest 4.7) - gone an entire month without having it crash. I got pretty good at one time soft-reseting, clearing logs and re-synching, but now, I get "operation terminated unexpectedly" and can't seen to find any way to fix it. I've read this thread, uninstalled DM, reinstalled DM - cleared logs, deleted folders, reset, removed battery, renamed files, took out some recurring appointments. Nothing.

I'm only sync'ing Outlook (one way...to my BB). I do - and admit this complicating factor - use Missing Sync with it for my Mac, which poses other issues too numerous to mention. But still, it's problematic to me that the original post was from 2007 and there still doesn't seem to be a solid fix to this issue. If there's something I can try - PLEASE let me know, otherwise I'm trading it in for something more reliable.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #43
ingebert_78

Model: 8900
Carrier: Personal
Default Forget about it

Guys,

Third party applications are the solution. If we pretend to keep waiting for RIM to come out with a patch for this, we´ll have to wait a lot of time.
Download Companion Lyn for Outlook at companionlink.com, execute it as a Complement in de DM (uncheck all the sincronyzing tasks you have set) and be a happy person as i am now.
Just a thing: the application is 14 day free, so if anyone gets the serial or crack please post it here.
Good Luck!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #44
willie55

Model: 9000
Carrier: Verizon
Default Vista bad

I believe the cause to all these problems is either a bad attachment or reoccurring appointments in Outlook. To find out which one is causing the problem is very time consuming. I would upgrade to Windows 7 or back rev to XP. My problem went away. It seems to be a Vista issue.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #45
bryawn

Model: 8830

Thanks for the tips here. The tip about clearing the device calendar DB worked. I'm guessing I'll be doing this alot.

To be clear, this is not operating system dependent. I have experienced the problem with both Windows 7 and Windows XP and with two different carriers. This is a RIM problem, and in my opinion, some really piss poor coding. I can see the application gagging and coming up with an error message that it is having problems, coupled with some hints (like an attachment is giving problems). But to have it just crash is frigging inexcusable. Lame, lame, lame.

If this problem isn't fixed, I will definitely be switching to a device from a different manufacturer when it comes to upgrading. RIM, you have got to do better than this. I know Droids aren't perfect, but they are looking mighty good about now...
Old 12-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #46
plporter

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT
Default Found one answer to sync crash.

My BB Desktop Manger would crash when trying to sync very early on.

In fixing some other problem with Outlook 2007 when trying to transfer/export it said that I needed software from MS Office Valu-pack

That lead me to a web page that said I might have the wrong MAPI32.DLL for outlook and that I had a copy for Eurdora, which I have installed.

I followed these directions and now after 3 weeks and hours reinstalling and following other people worthless suggestions I got my BB to sync.

If you have never installed Eudora you would never have this problem.

With some help I figured it out .... for me it turned out that my
MAPI32.DLL file was not the standard Microsoft issued version. I use
Eudora, and by default it replaces the MAPI32.DLL and MAPI.DLL file
with its own version. It is very strange that the ONLY apparent bad
result if this is the inability to handle CSV files in Outlook, but
that was the only manifestation of the problem for me...

Anyway... go to your C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder and check the
properties of your MAPI32.DLL and MAPI.DLL files.
If they are NOT owned by Microsoft (company listed) is Qualcomm or
some other company like Lotus ... that is your problem... Actually
Microsoft themselves also created "alternative" MAPI DLLs that also
cause the problem.

I went to the system32 directory and MAPI32.DLL ---> MAPI32.DLL.Eudora

Then from another computer I copied MAPI32.DLL and put it in c:\windows\system32\

And BAM!

It worked!!!!

BTW my other computer that had never had Eudora installed did not have a file called "MAPI.DLL".

So I just left the one on my (Eudora) computer alone.

I got this answer from Jim5941:
Re: Stand alone Outlook 2007 can't export......FAE.dll error message
on: /help.wugnet. web page.

Finally a happy ending to a frustrating month, yup a month to the day after purchasing Outlook 2007 I get it to sync.

I spent almost an hour every day trying different things to fix this.

I have owned and used and done some programming on PCs since 1984....

Happy daze !
Old 12-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #47
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Great info on your solution and thanks for posting it. However, is it necessary to call others' suggested solutions "worthless?". Just because they weren't your problem doesn't make them worthless. The only worthless suggestion is the one not given.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #48
kdoron51

Carrier: Movistar
Default Thank You Very Much!!!

i HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR A WHILE, AND DID NOT HAVE AN IDEA WHAT TO DO.
TODAY I'VE FOUND THIS, AND IT SOLVED THE PROBLEM.
THANK YOU.
DORON K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblount View Post
Many of our users (with several different Blackberry models) are also experiencing repeated crashes since the upgrade to Desktop Manager 4.2sp1, which we installed as part of the US Daylight Saving change. Once the software crashes, the sync will not work again for that user (typically hanging on the same Outlook calendar entry) until something drastic is done. We've gone as far as uninstalling Desktop Manager, removing related folders and Registry entries, then reinstalling. No matter the method of correction, the problem resurfaces again soon. I'm hoping for a better answer, but for now, I've advised my users of the following steps that they can take:

Connect the Blackberry and open Desktop Manager (your shortcut could be named something else.)
As soon as you have the option, click Cancel to stop the automatic synchronization.
Double-click the "Backup and Restore" icon in Desktop Manager.
Click the "Advanced" button.
On the right side, under "Device Databases", select Calendar,
then click the "Clear" button.
Click OK to confirm deletion of the entire calendar on the Blackberry (no effect in Outlook.)
Click "Close" twice.
Double-click the "Synchronize" icon in Desktop Manager, then click the "Synchronize now" button.
Click "Close" and exit the Desktop Manager.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #49
elkman

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon

Redflea's remedy worked:

For BlackBerry Desktop Manager

1. Close BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
2. Open Microsoft® Windows® Explorer and delete the "Research In Motion" folder in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\

[This deletes all your synchronization settings/history, etc. I actually just renamed the Research in Motion folder in case I wanted to get any information in it back.

When you restart Desktop Manager again in the steps below, the "Research in Motion" directory and subdirectories will be re-created.

3. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager again.
4. Select Synchronize
5. On the Synchronize tab, make sure Synchronize Organizer Data is checked.
6. Select the Configuration tab and click Configure Synch.
7. Re-create your sync settings to sync calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes, etc.
9. Click OK to save your changes
10. Return to the Synchronize tab and perform a synchronization by clicking Synchronize Now.

---

Of all the suggested remedies this is the only one that worked with my 9530 Storm. As the sync worked prior to the Blackberry software update and failed on my first sync after the update it made no sense that the problem was with outlook. That I can delete the sync configuration files and have the new software create new configuration files and the sync works makes it obvious that the new software has a bug and does not properly use the old configuration files or needs to update their settings and this was missed by the programmer - too bad Blackberry does not believe in software quality control.

My thanks to Redflea!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #50
serviceguy

I second this reply. Problem in my case apprears to have been related to the recent update to my Curve. Renamed the researchinmotion folder to researchinmotion_old and restarted software, then reset synch data as describe here. Good fix. Thanks alot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkman View Post
Redflea's remedy worked:

For BlackBerry Desktop Manager

1. Close BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
2. Open Microsoft® Windows® Explorer and delete the "Research In Motion" folder in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\

[This deletes all your synchronization settings/history, etc. I actually just renamed the Research in Motion folder in case I wanted to get any information in it back.

When you restart Desktop Manager again in the steps below, the "Research in Motion" directory and subdirectories will be re-created.

3. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager again.
4. Select Synchronize
5. On the Synchronize tab, make sure Synchronize Organizer Data is checked.
6. Select the Configuration tab and click Configure Synch.
7. Re-create your sync settings to sync calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes, etc.
9. Click OK to save your changes
10. Return to the Synchronize tab and perform a synchronization by clicking Synchronize Now.

---

Of all the suggested remedies this is the only one that worked with my 9530 Storm. As the sync worked prior to the Blackberry software update and failed on my first sync after the update it made no sense that the problem was with outlook. That I can delete the sync configuration files and have the new software create new configuration files and the sync works makes it obvious that the new software has a bug and does not properly use the old configuration files or needs to update their settings and this was missed by the programmer - too bad Blackberry does not believe in software quality control.

My thanks to Redflea!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #51
serviceguy

... And then I tried to sync one more time and it crashed again... AARRGGGGHHH!!!!

Crashing when reading from outlook record 1 of 503...
Old 01-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #52
serviceguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by serviceguy View Post
... And then I tried to sync one more time and it crashed again... AARRGGGGHHH!!!!

Crashing when reading from outlook record 1 of 503...
Deleted record 1 in outlook, now it crashes before reading any records.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #53
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

This happens to me occasionally when an entry is corrupted. Generally, I find the corruption is in a recurring event that got changed after the fact, like maybe one instance got deleted or changed and the rest of the recurring events stayed the same. It can sometimes take a little time to find the culprit.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #54
mskyle

Model: 9930

Thanks to a ton of web research, I have figured out that you are right, John, changes or deletions of one instance of a recurring appointment will crash the sync. It always works to view your log after the crash, look at the bottom for the offending appointment next to the word IGNORE, delete the entire recurring appointment, then sync, then re-enter the recurring appointment and then sync again. Of course, your changes and deletions to the recurrence will no longer show.

Most of my appointments are recurring. Blackberry's calendar sync is useless to me, unless I want to use this workaround every time I sync.

Recurring appointments are a basic Outlook feature. Why doesn't Blackberry address this bug? How can I get Blackberry's attention about it?
Old 01-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #55
serviceguy

Because I am a troubleshooter and I also hate being stumped by a little gadget, I want to add this clue to the mix.

Couldn't get the phone to sync as described above, so I basically gave up for a while. Then I grabbed my ipod and synced it, which worked fine and got me thinking.

Today I plugged the BB in to charge it, and the sync works fine now.

Weird...

Is the new fix "go but an Ipod and configure it to sync your calendars and tasks, then try to sync the Blackberry" ?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #56
32ff4y

Model: 8330
Carrier: CredoMobile

This is the second occasion when BB's sync software has crashed repeatedly on me. I'm happy for those of you for whom Redflea's remedy (quoted several times above) of deleting the RIM folder and reconfiguring the sync options worked. It didn't for me. Neither did Jblount's.

This time around, the key for me was in contributors' messages--like John Clark's and Barbwyr's--that focus on change to an instance of a recurring event. In my case, one meeting out of a series was postponed for a week, so I just opened the event and changed the date. I do that sort of thing fairly regularly. The surprise for me was that I didn't have to delete the whole series of events, sync, and restore the series. All I had to do was undo my change and sync again. It worked!

From now on, I guess I won't change previously inserted Outlook dates. Instead, I'll insert new non-recurring events for the postponements. Thing is, I fervently agree with those here who wonder why RIM doesn't address this bug. Postponing meetings must happen once in awhile to everybody who keeps a calendar.

By the way, neither deleting attachments nor unclicking the mapped item for notes (in the advanced options) worked for me either.
Closed Thread